The Beauty of Math

December 3, 2013

beautiful math

By Koseli.

I’m not sure that the first word that pops into my mind  is “beautiful” when describing mathematics, but this video might change my mind. Were you a math whiz, or was it difficult for you to grasp basic concepts?

Make sure to watch the video in full screen!

P.S. —  A series of beautiful math-filled chalkboards.

{ 1 trackback }

Dealing with Innumeracy: What Happens When You Can't Do Math? | Let's win college.
May 8, 2014 at 10:59 am

1 Sabrina December 3, 2013 at 7:42 am

Math is a foreign language to me! I’ve struggled with it my whole life. My husband on the other hand is a Math major and has his Masters in Math Education.

2 Mary December 3, 2013 at 8:03 am

Wow – love this. I can appreciate the beauty of math – I actually started out as a math major. (Differential Calculus kicked my butt, so I had to change.) It makes you view almost everything in a completely different way.

3 Rachel December 3, 2013 at 8:48 am

This made me teary. Somewhere in my soul this touches me.

4 mom in mendon December 3, 2013 at 9:53 am

As a visual person, the exactness of math felt confining and dull. A brilliant math teacher would be one who knows how to teach the beauty.

Just last week my son talked about the new work he was learning/doing in web design and described, with joy in his voice, the beautiful “algorithms swirling around.” I envy him.

5 Danielle Blake December 3, 2013 at 11:48 am

Math can be beautiful. But I hate to be a killjoy. Not all of their examples were math!

6 erinmalia December 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm

As a statistician, I feel I must comment! True, not all were mathematical, but chemistry, computer science, and the others still use a lot of math. The probability example with the dice made me want to pause the video and examine the equations. Such a lovely language!

7 Hillary December 3, 2013 at 9:39 pm

This former math team nerd loved it. Thanks. :)

8 Cat December 6, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Hah!

When I was in college and grad school, I always got my inspirations in the middle of the night. I’d get up, scrabble around for my glasses, pencil and paper, and turn on the lights to make a note. My boyfriend (later fiancé and husband) hated being woken by all the commotion. So he bought me a blackboard, so all I had to do was find the chalk.

Our relationship really blossomed after that.

Sometimes the notes on the blackboard were more cryptic than the problem I was trying to solve, however.

9 Cat December 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm

PS: I was a Math major. I used to love to fill up that blackboard with mathematical musings.

10 Men Nike Dunk Low December 3, 2013 at 11:49 pm

A driver’s choice of footwear could put them at risk behind the wheel. Kristin Herold is a self-proclaimed stiletto connoisseur who said that driving in them is just part of her daily life. giuseppe zanotti crystal accent    giuseppe zanotti flats    giuseppe zanotti heelless  giuseppe  zanotti leahter pumps “You spend so much time getting ready. I just throw on the shoe and don’t think twice about driving in them,” said H