Hair Broaches + A House Update

December 19, 2013

By Gabrielle. Accessories via ASOS.

A little update from the Blairs: Our floors in the living room and kitchen were finished on Saturday and we moved the furniture back in on Sunday and Monday. Such a treat to have a kitchen again — we took so much pleasure in cooking a dinner on Monday night and eating together at our family table! On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday we painted the living room in a fresh coat of white — in fact, the same white we used in the hallway transformation. It’s Origami White by Sherwin-Williams and I love it! It has a hint of grey to it that works really well with the new floor color.

Today, we’re installing baseboards where the new floors meet the walls — 8″ plain pine boards with crisp edges. This will be a much more substantial baseboard than we had before and my hope is that it will add some weight to the room and some architectural impact. We’ll see! I don’t know how long the baseboard installation will take, but I’m crossing my fingers it’s a two-day project and that we’ll finish up by Friday night.

Then there’s one more project to tackle — maybe even tonight! — and that’s white-washing the brick fireplace. Very exciting! I’ve been looking up tutorials and it sounds very straightforward. I’ll be sure to instagram as I go, and write up a post about the floors and paint and whitewash process when it’s done.

Like I said, we really, really want to wrap all of this up by Friday, because on Saturday, we want to get our Christmas tree and hang our stockings! Can you believe we haven’t done that yet? It’s just been too crazy with all the remodel work. I’m comforting myself by imagining that getting the tree this late will make it feel more special or that we’ll appreciate it more. Hah! At the very least, I think this means the tree will stay alive through Christmas. : )

And speaking of the weekend, on Friday and Saturday evening we have holiday parties to attend. I haven’t given a minute of thought to what I’ll wear, but if I did have a minute, I think I would search out a lovely way to bedazzle my hair. Like a tiara, but a little more subtle. (Kidding…kind of!) Something that catches the light in an interesting way, but doesn’t involve constant readjusting or pain. I saw these hair accessories at ASOS and I’ve been thinking of them ever since!

Tell me about your holiday hair, will you please? Any fancy parties this weekend?

1 Jessica P December 19, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Yes, Holiday parties this weekend too…7 months pregnant so just went out yesterday to get cute dress for formal party this weekend and Christmas mass. Our formal party this weekend is at our local mayors house. Is it silly we feel so excited for it? Maybe. Nonetheless, always fun to have a reason to dress up and get together with other adults. Wearing the hair down and clipped to the side with a simple bobby pin.

2 Robin December 19, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Love all your remodel projects and amazed how much you guys do yourself. It already looks beautiful, and you’re not even done! Enjoy getting your tree up!

3 Bambi December 19, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Those are so beautiful…my Egyptian heart beats higher when I see those!

Here’s what made me happy this last week:

Love from Germany,

Bambi

4 Sydnie December 19, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I’m so excited to see the house progress! Recently, Young House Love whitewashed their brick fireplace and said it was pretty straightforward. Here is the link to their post:

Good luck! We’ve been working on some updates in our first home and its such annoying work, but feels so great when it is all done (as I’m sure you know!) Can’t wait to see the afters!

5 Anne December 19, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Well, you would be waaay early with your christmas tree in Germany. While all other decoration can go up when December begins, indoor trees are usually put up here on the 23rd or 24th. The big celebration and gift giving takes place on Christmas Eve and the tree stays in the house until January 6th, Epiphany.
Merry Christmas, dear Gabrielle!

6 Dena December 19, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I have naturally curly, almost shoulder length hair, so I feel like it always looks the same, unless of course, I go for a blow out. When I want to dress it up, I opt for a side-swept pony/bun thing. It is way too easy for the amount of compliments it seems to bring. I feel like it says sophisticated + fun. Just right.

7 Ceebee December 19, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I also have shoulder length wavy/curly hair and to be honest, it flipping rocks. It took me years to figure out how to do my hair and basically moving from the humid Northeast to the desert Southwest cured my flat frizzy issues. For my wedding I went for a simple hair down with veil and I don’t regret it. For my husband’s work party I happened to pin my hair away from my face to put on makeup and voila, it looked awesome and I left it like that. Some people can pull off amazing updos or the fancy hair style du jour but I just look awkward. It took me a long time to realize I’ve got good hair and there’s no use in messing with it.

8 Zoe December 20, 2013 at 7:45 am

Yay for your floors!
I couldnt help but share my experience whitewashing the brick fireplace in our bedroom. I used milk paint and it has held up really well. Plus its natural so there wasnt any paint stink!

9 Sarah December 20, 2013 at 8:18 am

I’m Muslim and we wear unique little pieces in our scarves all the time :) They are super fun, but sometimes tricky with little kids (with the grabbing and pulling). Also if you forget you are wearing one and bend over they can get all twisted :)

10 Jessica @ Little Nesting Doll December 20, 2013 at 8:42 am

It was very brave to have taken on a remodeling project at the holidays! I’m sure it will be awesome when it’s done.

We are hosting a party for family at my house tomorrow and I have not done one. stinking. thing. to get ready yet. My agenda for the day includes cooking, baking, cleaning, and setting up for the party. Fingers crossed I can get it all done. :)

11 Lisa December 20, 2013 at 10:39 am

At my home we just finished a kitchen remodel yesterday! The last thing to do is to build a mantel for the fireplace hopefully that will happen tomorrow:) We usually go all out with the Christmas decorating, but this year we don’t even have our tree up yet. Hopefully that will happen this weekend. It gives me comfort to know that the Blair family is in the same boat as mine;) Merry Christmas! I can’t wait to see pics of your fireplace.

12 Merinda Camper December 20, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I couldn’t let this spelling error go unnoticed.
HAIR BROOCHES!

13 Juliana January 22, 2014 at 9:42 am

I like the first one it can be perfect for a bride to be. What a lovely leaves detail.