Book of the Week: Want to Be in a Band?

December 30, 2013

Want to Be in a Band? by Suzzy Roche and Giselle Potter

Images and text by Carter.

Giselle Potter is one of my favorite illustrators, so when I spied this new-to-me book of hers, I jumped on it. And then I found even more reasons to fall in love with this book. Want to Be in a Band?, written by Suzzy Roche, celebrates sisters, music, and fierce determination. Is that name familiar? Do you know The Roches?

Want to Be in a Band? by Suzzy Roche and Giselle Potter

The sisters’ harmonies are understated and soothing, if a bit unusual. That’s exactly why Giselle Potter’s illustrations are perfect for Suzzy Roche’s words. They are colorful, quirky, and full of life, a visual representation of the music of The Roches. Even if that particular band isn’t a favorite, could you see yourself in a story about bickering siblings? Or one about the grit of practicing and the soul of music? Want to Be in a Band? hits all the right notes, adding up to a beautiful whole.

Want to Be in a Band? by Suzzy Roche and Giselle Potter

1 Tina December 30, 2013 at 7:32 am

I just borrowed this book for my 10 year old daughter. She’s a bit old now for these books but we loved Giselle Potter books when my daughter was younger so I couldn’t help myself when I saw it on the shelf at the library.

2 Julie December 30, 2013 at 11:37 am

SuhWEET!

3 Sabrina December 30, 2013 at 11:37 am

In college, my roommates and floor mates, somehow got introduced to the Roches and you could hear them playing all the time! We absolutely adored them and would try to copy their harmonies. You couldn’t walk down the hall without someone busting out, “We are Maggie and Terry and Suzzy…” I mean the oddness of it was, it was 1995 and we were obsessed with these sisters! Whenever I hear them, I think back to that time in my life and smile!

4 Molly December 30, 2013 at 10:11 pm

We picked this up randomly at the library and my daughter loved it. At the end, I finally realized it was The Roches! Their Xmas album is like the soundtrack of my childhood holiday memories and my daughter knows some of the songs, too. Great stuff!

5 Meg Miller January 1, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I’m loving The Roches and these illo’s. What a great pairing. :D

6 danielle @ this picture book life January 6, 2014 at 11:31 am

Awesome.

7 Christina // Franny & Franky Designs January 7, 2014 at 11:20 am

Love this! Our toddler loves to bang on just about everything, loves dancing, loves rhythm. I will definitely have to pick this up for him to remind him he can always make music no matter where he is!