Book of the Week: The Day the Crayons Quit

December 23, 2013

The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers

Images and text by Carter.

This book’s title alone is enough to send any kid into a duo of shock and understanding belief. Try it. Show them the cover! I bet you’ll see little brows furrow with wonder and maybe a bit of guilt. There’s something hilarious and universal about their favorite tools seizing some power back from them, and I think that’s part of this story’s appeal: the kid becomes the antagonist. Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers execute The Day the Crayons Quit with massive kid appeal and playful zeal.

The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers

All Duncan wants to do is color. The problem is, his crayons are kaput. Red is overworked from all things fire engine, strawberries, and Santa Claus. Beige is jealous of Brown’s role in bears, ponies, and puppies. And poor Pink, who just for once would love to be used as a dinosaur, monster, or cowboy. Each crayon reveals their plight through punchy voice in honest letters, and like a true friend, Duncan only wants the crayons to be happy. Can the crayons convince him to color outside the lines of creativity? This one’s for all of the Black crayons who just want to be a rainbow, and all of the Blues who’d like to see a different shade of sky.

The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers

{ 1 trackback }

My Top Five Most Popular Posts of 2013 « Design of the Picture Book
December 31, 2013 at 7:25 am

1 Melissa December 23, 2013 at 8:05 am

My kindergarten son is obsessed with coloring, I am totally ordering this for him!

2 Anne M. December 23, 2013 at 8:12 am

Brilliant idea for a book. A bit young for my kids, but I sure could enjoy it. And someday there may be grandkids to enjoy it with me.

3 Carter Higgins December 23, 2013 at 10:07 am

Do it for you! I always tell my kids at school you’re never too old for picture books!

4 Natalie December 23, 2013 at 9:08 am

My daughter has this under the tree right now.

5 Carter Higgins December 23, 2013 at 10:07 am

We won’t tell!

6 Madeline December 23, 2013 at 10:00 am

I loved this book, but I don’t think my 3 year old totally gets it.

7 Michele December 23, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I saw this book at a bookstore and ordered it from the library for my 7yo. We’ve LOVED previous books written/illustrated by Oliver Jeffers and so I had high hopes for this book. This one went back to the library after only one reading.

Flipping through it at the bookstore it looked and sounded so cute, but reading it with my son left me feeling weird. Just a few things I recall (this isn’t meant to be a thorough review of the books pluses and minuses). My son doesn’t feel like colors can only be used for certain things so I don’t think he really got the problems expressed by the crayons. For a book supposedly talking about creativity, it assumed all children draw things in only one color. We also don’t celebrate certain holidays, like Christmas, though I know we are not the norm there but I didn’t expect a book about colors to also be about holidays. The crayon’s complaints were whiny. I was disappointed by the ‘creative’ picture that Duncan drew at the end; basically dictated by the crayons instead of his own feelings. And the A+ at the end by the teacher? Why?

8 Maria B December 23, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Bought this for my youngest for Christmas! Can’t wait to read it over and over and over….lol

9 Ashlea Walter December 23, 2013 at 1:06 pm

We just received this book from my in-laws for the kids. I love it! Definitely one for the adults!

10 Susan December 23, 2013 at 1:07 pm

My daughter received this for her recent (6th) birthday and it’s now her favorite book and mine! I’m a sucker for any book with “letters” even those written by disgruntled crayons. And we always crack up at poor peach crayon at the end…

11 Megan A December 23, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I LOVE this book! It’s one of the most adorable children’s books. And fun for all ages

12 Bethany December 25, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I love the look of this book! Totally going on my to-buy list for my daughter.

13 Art Mom January 12, 2014 at 2:20 pm

This book looks like so much fun- I think my daughter would love it. I think I must buy it! :)

14 Melissa January 13, 2014 at 9:32 am

My five year old son ADORES this book. We read it four times a week minimum. And every time he falls over laughing when we get to the peach crayon (who is missing his wrapper and hiding “naked” in the box. It’s hands down my favorite kids book.

15 matt March 4, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Awful book. Lets teach kds to whine and complain and quit. Great message. Stupid parents give this book high remarks.

16 Rebecca May 29, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I LOVE this book! Checked it out at the library the other day and I have it on my list of books to buy to add to our permanent library!