A Few Things

December 20, 2013

fall view from the balcony

Image and text by Gabrielle. I know it’s almost Christmas, but our yard looks like fall this week. : )

Hello, Friends. How are you? I am sitting here trying to wrap my head around the fact that this is my last link roundup before Christmas. It’s so close! I’m having these odd sensations of finishing things up and waiting to get started all at the same time. The last school concert happened last night. We sent the last teacher gifts off to school this morning. And Ben Blair is chaperoning a field trip to the Nutcracker today for Oscar’s class. I can not wait till 3:00 comes and my kids are officially on vacation! And of course, we still need to get our tree and decorate for Christmas. What an exciting weekend this will be!

While I try and track down a fresh wreath for the door, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:

- My heart has been with our family and friends who attend Arapahoe High School in Colorado. My nephew, David, wrote a hopeful article about the shooting.

- Taking A Magnifying Glass To The Brown Faces In Medieval Art.

- What it would be like if it snowed in San Francisco.

- Ben Blair wrote this Olive Us Manifesto in response to preteen shows on Nick & Disney Channel. And I love it.

- A neutral nursery with thrift store finds.

- An ode to birth moms.

- We left our stockings behind in France (for future Christmases there), our new ones just arrived. Guess which ones we picked? (I’ll share a photo as soon as we hang them.)

- This will make you want to put down your phone.

- Then, this will make you want to pick it up again.

And 3 fun contests I’m hosting that I don’t want you to miss:

- Donate to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and you could win an iPad Mini or my favorite children’s book!

- Pottery Barn Kids is giving away a $500 gift certificate! The contest ends 12/22 (Sunday).

- Tiny Prints is offering a prize as well — a $200 gift certificate. Just repin to win! Also ends on 12/22.

I hope you have a wonderful and festive weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

{ 1 trackback }

wrapping paper and will ferrell | absolutely (extra)ordinary
December 23, 2013 at 9:58 am

1 Bambi December 20, 2013 at 1:18 pm

A truly beautiful weekend to you and your family as well:

Love from Europe,

Bambi

2 Cathryn December 20, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I LOVE the snow in SF link – made me ache a bit for a proper winter, don’t you think!

I’m intrigued as to why you don’t have a Christmas tree already. Is that a Mormon thing, a Blair thing or just the result of a crazy-busy December? Forgive me if this is too nosy, I’m just interested!! Hope you pick out a gorgeous one!

Happy Christmas, Gabrielle!

3 jemma December 20, 2013 at 5:01 pm

What a fun weekend ahead! Talking of fresh wreaths may I suggest Trader Joes, for a beautiful privet wreath. The green is so fresh. It has been my fave find this season and at $9.99 it’s a lovely price.

Enjoy this wonderful crazy season.
Best wished to the Blairs from snowy Chicago

4 Debbie December 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Darn it, I wish I was not teary-eyed while watching that apple commercial!!
Wishing you a wonderful holiday! :)

5 Bethany December 20, 2013 at 8:15 pm

That NY Times article.. wow. And the Apple ad.. I find myself in a constant battle about this. Wanting to unplug but also wanting to capture the precious moments with our daughter. All great links!

6 Christy@SweetandSavoring December 21, 2013 at 5:51 am

Hope you all have a wonderful, festive weekend, Gabrielle! Christmas is definitely more exciting when you have lots of kids around :)
(Those SF snow pics are beautiful!)

7 Maureen December 21, 2013 at 7:41 am

It has become a treasured ritual for me to sit down with a cup of coffee on a Saturday morning and read through A Few Things :) I so look forward to these posts!

Thanks Gabrielle, and Merry Christmas!

8 Mary Yang December 24, 2013 at 4:31 am

We just left the Bay area and are now living in upstate New York and one of the things I miss this time of year is chopping our own tree from the Mendocino National Forest. It’s so much cooler than a tree farm and you’re so close! I’m sure you have your tree now, but maybe next year your family might want to take a scenic drive with an ax. Merry Christmas to the Blairs!

9 Béa January 3, 2014 at 1:14 am

Am I the only one who can’t access the ‘pick it up again’ youtube video? it tells me it is private. :( Thanks!