A Few Things

December 13, 2013

buffing wood floors

By Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How was your week? At our house, it’s still about about floors, floors, floors — there have been some hiccups! I’d love to write up a post about it. But even with the hiccups, it looks like we should be finished up tomorrow. Another coat of white-washing went on today (it looks so good!), and the last coat of finish goes on in the morning. I’m crossing my fingers it doesn’t affect the color. We shall see!

While I prep for one more evening without a kitchen, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:

- Hah! Hipster Baby Name Generator.

- Wow. You need to see the Wonderbag. It’s a slow cooker that uses no power! Find it on Amazon hereThanks, Karin.

- Have you ever heard of oil pulling? This is so new to me I wasn’t even sure what to think. But I’ve been trying it for a week and I’m kind of obsessed.

Kanye vs. Your Creative Director (warning – this has some swear words).

- Inspiring the reluctant reader (also, remember the Mo Willems interview?).

- So, so funny! Where do fall on the crunchy scale? (I do, or have tried, a smattering of things from every number.) Thanks, Avril.

- How a dad keeps connected to his kids while on business trips. Thanks, Sara.

- Something fun! Use the code DZNMOM15, to get 15% off at Isabel Garretón, and use code TWIST50 to get 50% off their ItsATwist scarfves. Both codes expire 12/31.

Because who is perfectThanks, Lisa.

- Decorist just launched and looks really compelling — get real interior design advice at realistic, flat rates!

- As soon as I have access to a kitchen, I’m dying to try this salad.

- Ralph Lauren stores are featuring Sarah Jane’s illustrations in their holiday windows this year (all over the world!)! I’ve worked with Sarah for ages and am so excited for her I can hardly stand it!

- A beautiful nursery for a baby girl that defies stereotype.

- I should read and re-read this parenting essay regularly.

20 great ideas for Neighbor Gifts.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday (with a functioning kitchen!). I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Zoe - SlowMama December 13, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I heard about oil pulling last year and started it and then stopped, but I want to get back to it. It made my teeth feel great… and maybe even look a little whiter? It was the 20 minute swishing that I found tough. I’d love to see what the results would be after a month or two, though. And I keep meaning to write a post about it — maybe once I can actually do it for more than a week!

Finished floors — so exciting!

2 Design Mom December 14, 2013 at 12:05 am

I hope I stick with it for at least a month. I haven’t had my teeth cleaned at the dentist since July of last year (I know, gross! I meant to as soon as we moved here this past July, but alas, keep forgetting.), but my teeth feel, and look, so much cleaner after just a week.

I want to make a cleaning appointment after I’ve done this for awhile and see what the dentist thinks.

3 Tasha December 14, 2013 at 10:26 am

So there is absolutely no brushing or other? I am SOOO intrigued!

4 Grace @ sense and simplicity December 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I loved the drawings that the Dad coloured in – they bring them to life and are so collaborative. Love it.

Also loved the windows Sarah Jane did – I’m so glad she posted lots of photos as it was wonderful seeing all the details.

Have a great weekend and here’s to finished floors.

5 PARIS BEE kids blog December 13, 2013 at 2:38 pm

OMG! DH and I burst out laughing with the suggestions in the hipster baby name generator! SO FUNNY! LOL LOL LOL

Thanks for sharing!

xoxo PARIS BEE

6 Design Mom December 14, 2013 at 12:02 am

Hah! If you discover a particular favorite, I hope you’ll share.

7 Susie h December 13, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Some fun links here, thanks!

And another thank you, for the lovely way you address us readers as “Friends.” I feel your kind intentions and can almost hear your friendly voice in my mind as I read long. thank you for spreading good feeling in the world.

8 Design Mom December 14, 2013 at 12:01 am

Thank you for the kind words, Susie! My greeting and sign off on these Friday posts have become a tradition for me, but sometimes I wonder if readers are sick of them.

I’m glad the greeting still resonates for you!

9 Nina December 13, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Love the link to the hipster name generator! Perfect!! I’m currently pregnant with my third and we’re at a loss for names. Boy names in particular are really hard for us. We have two boys already and have been prepared with a girls name, but we need another boy name! It’s too hard!

10 Design Mom December 13, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Congrats on the pregnancy, Nina! Naming is tricky. For us, we had a harder time with the girl names than the boy names. I’m sure you’ll find something perfect!

11 Erin December 13, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Okay, so the coconut oil thing is intriguing, but do you seriously swish for 20 minutes?? That’s a looong time!

12 Meaghan December 13, 2013 at 11:37 pm

In the comments, the blogger mentioned she tried to multitask her morning routine-working out or preparing breakfast or getting dressed. Sounds like an acquired skill!

13 Design Mom December 13, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Isn’t that crazy?! I happen to have this perfect window of time, when Ben Blair is driving kids to school and I’m making beds and doing breakfast dishes and starting the laundry — I don’t need to talk to anyone then, so I can swish and tidy at the same time.

But I was totally thinking the other day that there were years of my life where it wouldn’t have worked at all!

14 jessie hansen December 19, 2013 at 8:34 am

Doing it with a 21 month old and a 4 year old is very nerve racking. I think I want to yell at them more when I have the oil in my mouth! I never put much thought into oil pulling, well I tried it once but thought the 20 minute thing was crap and figured it was a spoof like “washing your face with oil” (which totally didn’t work, FYI, I fell for a Pinterest TRAP! Broke out in place I’d never broken out before!), but since you are endorsing it maybe I should try it again too? You should totally keep us updated on this. I see a dedicated post coming soon, in the next month or so, or at least I hope so. I want one!

15 Pam December 13, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I’ve never heard of oil pulling. While intriguing, I too am not sure how I feel about swishing for 20 min.

We have light floors ourselves and love how airy, bright and open everything feels year round, especially in our northern latitude.

16 Design Mom December 13, 2013 at 11:58 pm

They look so good right now! And I am so nervous about what the finish coat will do to them. I swear it’s going to keep me up tonight.

I seriously need to chill about these floors.

17 lisa thomson December 13, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Great links. I did very badly on the Kanye vs. your Creative Director-that was funny.

18 Design Mom December 13, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Almost unbelievable, right? So funny!

19 Lori H December 13, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Oil pulling sounds interesting, but 20 minutes?? Not happening!

20 Design Mom December 13, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Hah! I know you’re not alone. : )

21 Cheyenne December 13, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Thank you so much for sharing that parenting essay. I need to read and re-read that essay, too.

P.S. I am totally intrigued by oil pulling–I am picking up some coconut oil ASAP.

22 Design Mom December 13, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Such a good essay. And really hopeful too.

23 Tasha December 14, 2013 at 10:32 am

Few things:

Oil pulling – worth a shot!

The Moh’s “crunchy” scale – I just finished a lab about rocks – caught my attention and I’m Talc- lol. Never one to over
“compare-parent” or care about others’ parenting over mine I guess and glad for it. I have witnessed these transactions and find them ridiculous and sad in that women should support each other not bash behind backs thinking there’s only one way to parent – theirs!

The mannequins – I’m crying after it – beautiful!!!

24 Lucy Mitchell December 15, 2013 at 2:59 am

That crunchy thing is SO funny. And so true! Oh dear, at those tired, vulnerable new baby times we compared so much! Or at least I did. Great links.

25 Tasha December 15, 2013 at 8:52 am

Oil pulling seems to have SO many other benefits I am excited to try it! Other oils can be used/switched on/off as well. I found no negative comments anywhere only accolades!!! My only concern is that although I understand the morning routine is best, I cannot commit to waking 20 minutes earlier than I already do (before the birds) so I will do this before bed nightly. I also figure it being the last thing on my teeth at night should be good too (?) – like when “they” used to say eat a piece of cheese before bed helped fight bacterial decay fight bacteria…lol great breathe! Have any of you done this? How’s it going Gabrielle?

26 Trina Holden January 8, 2014 at 6:59 am

Tasha, a friend of mine who tried the oil pulling also couldn’t see herself doing it in the morning, so made it a part of her evening routine, and still saw great results–you can read her story in this comment…http://trinaholden.com/healing-cavities-a-true-weve-done-it-story/#comment-16104

27 Corina December 15, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Well I tried the hipster name generator. Had to laugh as the first name that came up was the surname of close family friends- they would have found us calling one of our children by that name very ODD. Then a little later in the list- the actual name of one of our daughters. Hipster without knowing it?

28 Wonderbag (Cambria) December 16, 2013 at 10:49 am

Thanks so much for including Wonderbag in your post!!

29 Summer December 16, 2013 at 12:33 pm

That Wonderbag is cool. I would love the cookbook, but already have too many of my own wonder ovens floating around. I have made many wonder ovens (same concept) and use it all the time. They are really neat once you know how and what to cook in them. Here is a recipe I just tried in it and it was AMAZING (Persimmon Bread pudding)! I think you would like it.

30 frederique December 17, 2013 at 5:56 am

I was wondering with the oil pulling, does it really heal a cavities? My husband once had a cavity that needed a fix but when He switch of dentist, they never found anything… and He didn’t do anything about it.
But, I do wish that it can be heal. Well, just for the cleaning part, it’s worth the try.