A Few Things

December 6, 2013

floors cleared for sanding

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hi Friends! How are you? I feel like I deserve some big badge of honor for making it to Friday this week. Hah! I always feel like that when Ben Blair is out of town. And then I instantly think of my sister, who has been running the house solo for months and months while her husband is in Afghanistan and I remember what a champ she is (and that I’m a huge wimp). But still, I will be delighted when Sunday comes and Ben gets home.

In other news, our floors have mostly been prepped and sanded now! On Monday, there will be some finish sanding, and then some bleaching. (Did I tell you I’m going for a white-washed look? I’ll try to write up a post about it next week.) Staining and sealing will happen after that. So our camping in the upstairs of the house (and having no kitchen) will continue through next week. Exciting!

While I put away sleeping pads and blankets for the day, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:

- The Heart of Asia.

- The reviews on this ($40,000!) TV are hilarious. I’m dying.

- Seth Godin’s words about Nelson Mandela.

- Mesmerizing. A ski trip in the forest. Thanks, Jared.

- This wood-trimmed nursery radiates calm.

- Don’t wash your raw chicken.

- Cool Mom Picks has a fresh new look on their site. I love it. (Congrats Liz and Kristen!)

- Thoughts about raising sons.

- Complaining as a strategy is no good. I need to be reminded of this constantly.

- Not Martha’s Kinder Egg a Day series made me smile!

- Unexpected kindness.

- I’m late putting together an advent calendar this year, but want to tackle the project this weekend. Here are 16 DIY ideas.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I hope you’re warm and cozy, and that there are yummy spices simmering on the stove. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Bethany December 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Ha! That TV! Hilarious. Great links, as usual!

2 Mary Carstens December 6, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I’m so excited you’re going with white washed floors! When I saw your new tree house, I immediately thought white washed. We white washed the floors in our old 1890 New Orleans cottage and they look awesome. It’s a bold statement and we get compliments all the time on our white floors and walls. Can’t wait to see the results; I know they will look fabulous as will your entire house.

3 Design Mom December 7, 2013 at 12:31 am

Yay for whitewashed floors! My floor guy was a little caught off guard that we wanted it — he hasn’t had a client ask for it in ages — but he’s game. I’m nervous/excited to see the results!

4 Jess. December 6, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Sweet validation! I haven’t rinsed my chicken since leaving home. My mom did, but she has three (3!) sinks in her kitchen, so “there was a sink for that.” I always felt that, if I were to do it, I would first have had to empty my [lone] sink of dishes, wash the chicken, scrub the sink before any other dishes landed there, and then get back to my recipe. Ain’t nobody got time for that, Jules!

5 julie December 6, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I can’t stop laughing at the TV review. Thanks, I needed that!

6 Claire {The Half-Hearted Housewife} December 6, 2013 at 2:29 pm

As someone that stayed home with kids while my husband was in Afghanistan for 16 months (plus years of constant field exercises ranging from weeks to over a month of him gone)… don’t feel bad for making it through any amount of time without your partner! It’s hard. I often think it’s harder when it isn’t the norm. Now that my husband is in a job where he is pretty much always home, I find the times that he’s not harder than back when he was gone all the time. I guess I had just gotten used to it before and now I’m all, “Ahh! Come back NOW.”
You go, girl!

7 Design Mom December 7, 2013 at 12:32 am

Thank you, Claire. Any big disruptions to our family routine can be so challenging! You’re sweet to validate me.

8 Bambi December 6, 2013 at 2:31 pm

You truly do deserve a badge of honor!

And you also deserve a wonderful weekend:

Love from Germany,
Bambi

9 Yvette December 6, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Not to be a stinker…but it should be “there are” not “their are”

10 Design Mom December 7, 2013 at 12:22 am

Hah! My English-teacher mother would be blushing for me. : )

Fixed above. And please, always feel free to alert me of typos. Sometimes I write to quickly and miss things in my proofreading.

11 Maria December 7, 2013 at 7:06 pm

should be “too” instead of to quickly. Just had to add that after seeing your comment :) I really enjoy your blog!

12 Barchbo December 6, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Cheers to a happy, cozy weekend – looking forward to the after photos!

13 julia-tagandtibby December 6, 2013 at 4:53 pm

your floors are beautiful!

14 cath December 7, 2013 at 12:19 am

Loved those TV reviews, so funny!

On a different note, I trully relate to Jane Fonda’s words. I’m a teacher, I work with teenagers, and 9 out of 10 difficult teenager is a boy. 12 years ago, the French paper “Le Monde” ‘s headline was ‘Il faut sauver les garçons” (we have to save our boys) so true! A few weeks after reading this Le Monde special front to cover, I found out I was expecting a boy.
My almost 12-year-old son is emotionally literate, very much so, and every adult who knows him thinks the world of him. But fitting with most boys around here is a challenge.
Food for thoughts everyone, what are we doing for our boys?

15 rachael December 7, 2013 at 7:01 am

Have you seen this, Gabrielle? Might be very good for your kids to watch and for your readers to see, as well.

16 charity December 9, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I think out of all blog post I find home interior ones the most facinating. The room is really coming along. Losing that wall was such a good idea. The dining area looks so inviting and fresh. I know you have probably been asked a hundred times but where did you get that chandelier? I love it so much. This is so fun to watch. Thanks!

17 kayce hughes December 9, 2013 at 8:22 pm

So excited to see how your floors turn out. There is something about an empty room with new floors that is so exciting….

18 Diana December 10, 2013 at 6:14 am

The reviews on that TV will have me chuckling all day. It cracks me up that people will take the time to write these, and the whole process grows legs.