The Pop Store

November 6, 2013

Oversize Posters made from images of It's A Wonderful Life. Awesome.

By Gabrielle.

Today I’m excited to introduce The Pop Store to you. It was created by my brother Josh — you may remember him because I wrote a post about a controversial piece of art he made last year. The Pop Store launched with 3 series of posters, each made with a different technique.

Oversize Posters made from images of It's A Wonderful Life. Awesome.

The first series features stills from everybody’s favorite movie, It’s A Wonderful Life. Josh has access to one of the actual film rolls of the movie. He went through the roll, frame by frame, to find the best and most memorable images — which are actually in the public domain. Then he scanned them at super-high resolution, so that they can be printed in large formats without looking digitized. So cool! There are 12 different images — my favorites are this one and this one.

Oversize Posters made from images in the NASA archives. Oversize Posters made from images in the NASA archives.

The second series is created from photos featuring the Apollo Mission, found in the NASA library of images — also in the public domain. The posters Josh created are cropped or combined to create final prints. There are 9 shots and they are stunning! And they aren’t available as posters from any other source. (As you might guess, they remind me of those amazing shots Karen Nyberg sent us from space.)

Cowboy by Josh Stanley

The third series is actually not a series at all, it’s a stand alone piece — the much discussed Cowboy. You can read up on the Cowboy story here.

All of the posters are available in three sizes, and can be purchased as a frameable print, or as a ready-to-hang stretched canvas. A year ago, when Josh launched the cowboy project, it was an experiment and took several months to create and print. But with The Pop Store, purchases should arrive within approximately 14 business days.

Wouldn’t they make an awesome holiday gift for the space lovers or movie buffs on your list? I think a poster from It’s A Wonderful Life would be terrific understated holiday decor. And I want to put a space poster in our family room. Or maybe the boys room!

P.S. — I had no idea my brother was working on these prints until he sent me the link over the weekend. Such a fun surprise! I always love learning what my siblings are working on. They are a creative bunch!

1 Shay November 6, 2013 at 1:33 pm

You all are certainly a creative bunch! I would love to see a post highlighting your siblings and what they all do–it seems that they pop up fairly often in the blog world, and it would be cool to tie it all together. Just a thought!

2 Danielle November 6, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Wow – these look amazing! I’m definitely adding one (or more) of these to my xmas list!

And I concur – what a creative family you have!

3 Anne-Lise Hurn November 6, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I seriously am so envious of your family. It seems like everyone overflows with ingenuity and awesomeness. To have that many creative minds must make for some magical holidays. I need to find a way for my kids to marry in . . .

4 Janet November 7, 2013 at 7:26 am

Wow — gorgeous! You have a super talented family!!

5 jweed November 7, 2013 at 11:35 am

these are awesome. thanks so much for sharing and for the link. i have many blank walls thirsty for something just like this!

6 Liz November 8, 2013 at 6:47 pm

It’s A Wonderful Life is my all time favorite. My dad loves it too. Debating between the print of George talking about the suitcase he needs and the Welcome to Bedford Falls for him for Christmas. So thank you for sharing your creative family with us :)

7 courtneyb November 10, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I love the emotion he captured in the “It’s a Wonderful Life” images. I can’t decide which is my favorite because each tells a story and is a great reminder in life.

8 Courtney Nielson December 14, 2013 at 4:21 pm

hello,

i’m so sorry to bother you with this, but i’m kind of at a loss as to what to do.
after seeing this post i ordered the cowboy print from the pop shop as a christmas present for my husband. i ordered it a month ago, on nov 14th.
i received an email receipt that day, but have never heard anything after that.
i have send 3 emails inquiring about the shipment of it (i sent them throughout the “contact us” on his website) but have never gotten any response.

so sorry to bother you with this, but could you maybe forward this to your brother, maybe something’s wrong with his website? it was a lot of money for a gift for me, so i’m starting to worry. my order number is #992

thank you!! love your blog & appreciate all your wisdom that you share!
courtney

9 Design Mom December 15, 2013 at 11:26 am

Hi Courtney! I will contact my brother asap and see if I can get an answer. I’ll get back to you via email. Thanks for letting me know!

10 Laura February 24, 2014 at 9:01 am

Hello Gabby –
I hate to do this to you as well – but I’m running into the same problem as Courtney. I have had my eye on the cowboy print since you posted this back in November, but seeing as it was a rather expensive purchase for me, I held off. I finally broke down and ordered the print a few weeks ago and have been super excited about hanging it in my son’s room over his brand new big boy bed! Unfortunately, several weeks have gone by and I haven’t heard anything. I finally logged into my account on his website and it says the order has been cancelled. Unfortunately, the money I paid for this has already been sent to him. I have emailed him several times, but haven’t gotten a reply from him. I’d love to at least get my money back. Is there another way to reach him? I, too, have been going through the “contact me” form on The Pop Store’s website.

Sorry about bothering you with this!

11 Christine Kartchner October 14, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Hi there,

I am in the same boat at the previous 2 commenters. I adore the cowboy print and have been saving my pennies to purchase. I ordered it in September and have been anxiously awaiting it’s arrival and even ordered a frame for it! I have not received it and have tried emailing through the website and also through the email listed on paypal. 4 emails have gone unanswered. I don’t know what else to do. I really love the print and am hoping there is a way to reach your brother. I really hate to bother you with this but would so appreciate it if you could help me, please.