Lunch Menu #16

November 18, 2013

sunflower+banana sandwich

Image and text by Lindsey Johnson for Design Mom.

According to my Kindergartener, Menu #16 of our Lunch Box Series, this sunflower and banana sandwich, is the BEST sandwich ever and she wants to eat it every day. Now if that isn’t a compliment! The sunflower butter is super tasty. We’ve decided we like the kind from Trader Joe’s the best, which I am sure is because it has cane juice in it. : )

A great thing I’ve just discovered are these awesome reusable pouches. They can even be washed in the dishwasher. The other side has space to write what is in the bag that day. The one in the picture has Greek yogurt in it. Kind of a nice budget-friendly way to send yogurt in my kids’ lunches. We’ll be trying out homemade applesauce next.

Now let’s talk about root beer cookies because they always garner a mixed reaction. I know they sound strange, but they have been a family favorite since I was in elementary school. I’ve started using whole wheat flour and my kids never notice the difference! They are super soft and remind me of childhood. So what do you think? Would you try them?

LUNCH MENU #16
- sunflower butter and banana sandwich
- clementine
- grapes
- yogurt (in EZ squeezees pouch)
root beer cookie sandwich
- crunchy pea snacks
- water

TIPS
- I spread a thin layer of sunflower butter (or peanut butter) on each side of the bread, then a layer of sliced bananas and a sprinkle of cinnamon. This helps the bread from going soggy.
- The root beer cookies are usually frosted on top, but I sandwiched two together with frosting in between so it wasn’t as messy. Kind of a splurge, but I imagine they like to share half with a friend. (Maybe.)
- Don’t fill the reusable pouch too full and only use smooth purees or yogurt.
- The lunch requires an ice pack for the yogurt.

SOURCES
Fit and Fresh Containers
Lunch skins pouch
- EZ Squeezees reusuable pouch (these are awesome!)
Camelbak water bottle

1 Bambi November 18, 2013 at 7:37 am

That’s looks great and so comforting…I’m having a blue office day and would love for somebody to come over with this lunchbox:-)

Love from Germany and a little weekend review:

Bambi

2 Lindsey Johnson November 18, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Thanks, Bambi! Hope your day ended up better!

3 Jessica @ Little Nesting Doll November 18, 2013 at 9:23 am

I love these lunch posts and may have to start sharing my kids’ school lunches as well! I’m always looking for new ideas, and these are great for inspiration when I can’t think of anything new to pack for them. :)

4 Laura November 18, 2013 at 10:43 am

These lunch menu’s are my favorite Design Mom articles. I love how details about ingredients and supplies are included! Thank you!

5 Lindsey Johnson November 18, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Thanks, Laura! :)

6 Brimful November 18, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Huh, root beer cookies! I have never heard of those before…might need to give those a try for an upcoming cookie exchange.

7 Lindsey Johnson November 18, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Oh! They are so fun to take to cookie exchanges. I’ve done that many times! :)

8 Marisa November 18, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Oh, Lindsey, I LOVE your root beer cookies! I’ve been making them since I first saw them on Make and Takes. My whole family loves them and each batch is gone before the end of day two. We’ve even used the frosting for cakes—including one giant, two-tiered monster truck cake for my then 5 year old. I could eat that frosting with a spoon!

9 Holly C November 19, 2013 at 11:45 am

10 Holly C November 19, 2013 at 11:46 am

These lunch menus are great! I’m keeping them for future use, for now I have a 21 month old whose lunch I struggle to make every day. He is a pretty good eater, but won’t eat bread. Any suggestions for lunches of young toddlers?