By Lindsey Johnson of Café Johnsonia for Design Mom.
Here’s Menu #15 in our Lunch Box Series — pasta, sauce, and salad! A sure to please combo that my kids adore. And with the right equipment (click through for sources), the pasta really does stay warm till lunch.
LUNCH MENU #15
- Tortellini with marinara sauce
- Olives, halved grape tomatoes, mini mozzarella balls
- Small salad with homemade ranch
- All natural fruit snacks
- The mozzarella, tomatoes and olives are kept separately to add to the salad. Separating them until lunch time keeps salad greens from wilting. But of course, I’m sure my kids put the olives on their fingers and not in the salad. : )
- To make the homemade ranch healthy, I used Greek yogurt to make it. (No mayo!)
- Preheat the insulated bowl by adding boiling water to it and hot pasta and sauce. It really does stay warm for hours!
- The red checkered napkin is just fun. I picked up the set at a thrift store and my kids really love them. (You might remember seeing the set in our outdoor cooking series.)
- Swap out the tortellini for other filled pastas like ravioli or lasagna, or use other pasta shapes to make things even more fun.