Deck the Halls and Walls and All

November 13, 2013

Lowe's Deck the Halls and Walls and All

Brought to you by Lowe’s Home Improvement. Create your perfect holiday setting with help from Lowe’s.

lowe's logo

By Gabrielle.

Last month, I mentioned I was in New York for Lowe’s Deck the Halls and Walls and All event, and if you follow me on Instagram, you may have even seen some sneak peeks (social media was tagged #holidayreadyhome). But today, I get to share images and tell you all about it!

Lowe's Deck the Halls and Walls and All

This event was so much fun to participate in. Overnight, Lowe’s created a “house” in a studio space in Manhattan. There was a front porch +  yard, an entry, a kitchen, a living room, and a guest room + bath. Then, they assigned each area to a different designer to furnish and decorate for the holidays — and as an extra challenge, we had about 2 weeks to make our design decisions, and then we had one day to install everything. Very exciting! On the evening of installation day, we were able to show off our work to bloggers and magazine editors that came by for a cocktail party.

Lowe's Deck the Halls and Walls and All

I was assigned the Porch + Front Yard and I had a blast coming up with ideas to make it as festive as possible. Would you like to hear how I went about making decisions?

Lowe's Deck the Halls and Walls and All

First, I ch0se red paint for the door — Valspar’s Art District to be exact. Red paint gives your home a pop of color and is a classic choice year round, but during the holidays, a red door seems especially fitting! Once I decided on the door color, I decided to keep the color scheme really simple — red, black, grey and white. (I know the siding on the house looks whitish in these photos, but it was actually a lovely grey. : )

Lowe's Deck the Halls and Walls and All

When the color scheme for the exterior was in place, I started to imagine possibilities for wreaths and greenery. But instead of green, I went with a very modern bright white! In garland, wreaths, and potted trees — all pre-lit, which makes things so. much. easier. Lit up, the contrast against the house was even better than I imagined — and the white gave a snowy feel instantly. Pretty in the day and pretty at night, too. I added simple twinkle lights to the landscaping shrubbery as well.

Lowe's Deck the Halls and Walls and All

Next, I looked to Scandinavia for some inspiration. As we know from practically every interior design image on Pinterest (hah!), Scandinavian design is clean and modern, but at Christmas, it often includes natural touches among those sleek surfaces, and somehow the combination works wonderfully. It manages to hit that sweet spot between modern and traditional. So I added my own natural touches. I hung the 3 wreaths with burlap ribbon (natural burlap against the front door, and red burlap against the windows), and wrapped the potted white trees with burlap as well. Then I filled out the front door wreath, and the potted plants with garlands of paper leaves. Adding to basic decorations is a simple way to make something store bought feel special and fit in with your family’s style. I also included a wooden door mat for another natural touch.

Lowe's Deck the Halls and Walls and All

Then I lined up boots for Dad, Mom, and Baby and filled them with gifts. I think they make a charming alternative to stockings!

Lowe's Deck the Halls and Walls and All

In the yard, I envisioned a magical little scene — a cozy bench with pillows (here and here) and a faux fur throw. Somewhere to sit with a mug of hot cocoa or mulled cider, while you get your fill of the wintery weather and the twinkle lights. I used these smaller trees, and these larger trees to create the scene. Both are beautiful, but in person, the smaller trees get lots of oohs and aahs. They are on my wishlist for sure! Then I hung these beautiful wooden snowflake ornaments (a combination of both designs) from the branches.

I also included Mr. & Mrs. Deer. (And added handsome scarves of burlap ribbon. Of course.)

Lowe's Deck the Halls and Walls and All

I’d love to hear what you think. If you were designing a holiday exterior from scratch, would you go modern or traditional? Or somewhere in between? Do you use pre-lit greenery? Or are you strictly a fresh-from-the-forest-real-live-boughs kind of girl? And lastly, would you enjoy a design challenge like this?

P.S. — You can find images of all the rooms in this “house” here.

Lowe's Deck the Halls and Walls and All

{ 3 trackbacks }

Just Moms » Blog Archive » Deck the Halls and Walls and All
November 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm
This Week’s Must Shares: Glowing Cotton Candy, Scandinavian Stockings and Sugared Cranberries : Confetti Diaries
November 15, 2013 at 4:46 am
Deck the Doors - The Sweetest Occasion — The Sweetest Occasion
December 4, 2014 at 9:05 am

1 Tamara November 13, 2013 at 10:51 am

I am in love with your wreaths and garland. What a way to create a welcoming entrance! The boots are a super cute touch as well.

2 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 11:57 am

Thank you! It was fun to see it come together. We were literally sweeping up the dust and mess from the installation minutes before guests arrived. Very exciting!

3 Emily November 13, 2013 at 11:09 am

The Hunter boots at stockings is brilliant!! So adorable.

4 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 11:58 am

Thank you, Emily! I thought it might be a fun option for families who don’t have a traditional fire place to hang their stockings.

5 Jennifer November 13, 2013 at 11:10 am

This is so so beautiful! How can we see the rest of the “house”?

6 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 11:55 am

Good question! I don’t think there’s one central website, but I imagine that each of the bloggers will be creating writeups about the spaces they decorated. I’ll ask Lowe’s if they have a list of links.

7 Colleen November 13, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Hi Jennifer,

The rest of the house can be viewed at http://lookbook.lowes.com/2013/10/lowes-deck-the-halls-walls-and-all-event/

Thanks for checking it out!

8 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Oops! My mistake. I’ll update the post with a link. : )

9 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 11:59 am

Just thinking. In the meantime, you can also check out the #holidayreadyhome hashtag on instagram and that will probably lead you to the right places. : )

10 Ellie November 13, 2013 at 11:21 am

Where did those boots come from?!

11 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 11:55 am

Our family’s Hunter Boots were purchased from Zappos, but these props I found at Bloomingdales.

12 Laura November 13, 2013 at 11:26 am

Looks wonderful! Is the wrapping paper from Lowe’s? Or could you tell me where to get it? Hunter boots make great wrapping paper holders, too!

13 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 11:56 am

Good idea on boots as paper holders! The wrapping is from West Elm.

14 Neely Brown November 13, 2013 at 11:42 am

You did a GREAT job! It looks like a perfect Christmas! Can you share the other bloggers that participated so we can see what they did with their rooms? Thanks!

15 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Neely! Other participants: Little Green Notebook in the entry. Brit & Co in the kitchen. Curbly in the dining room. PS I Made This in the Living Room. And my sister, Jordan of Oh Happy Day in the Guest Bedroom + Bathroom.

16 Carla November 13, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Looks lovely – a winter wonderland. I like the idea to mix in burlap, I think I will use that around the base of my planters for my winter greens arrangements. Great tip! Is the wooden door mat from Lowes? I have been searching for something like that.

17 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Yay for burlap! The doormat is from Crate & Barrel.

18 Corrie Anne November 13, 2013 at 12:57 pm

It’s beautiful! And now I totally want to decorate my Hunter boots.

19 Janet November 13, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Wow — it’s lovely!! That turned out great! Love the boots and the wreaths and the burlap and, well, everything! Heading to Lowe’s soon! Thanks for sharing!

20 Ashlea Walter November 13, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I just love it! I’m inspired to change things up this year. Love the color palette and use of some natural materials with the red/black/white/silver. Great job!

Also. Great picture of you! Super darling.

Fa la la la la la la la la.

21 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Thank you, Ashlea! It was fun to put on some red and green.

22 Catherine Hoskin November 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm

You are a very talented and inspiring woman who spends a great deal of time and effort in sharing practical ideas on family life, design, and all the little things that fill our daily lives with substance. Thank you! I also have to say that this really gets me into the Christmas spirit. The striking red paint on the front door just makes me smile. The front of a home say’s a great deal about the people who occupy the space. This imaginary home is tasteful, charming, and most importantly say’s welcome. As for me, I am definitely traditional. I have a floor to ceiling plate glass widow in the front of my home that frames the fresh cut Christmas tree beautifully, and a green wreath filled with red berries on the front door. The tree is the star attraction with twinkle lights, ornaments, and a half-moon made of paper-mache that crowns our tree. Have you ever gone to a live tree farm to cut your own Christmas tree? Now that you live in Northern California may I suggest a trip to Apple Hill. This is an area above Placerville on Highway 50. This is about a 3 hour trip out of Oakland into the Sierra Foothills on the way to Lake Tahoe. Go applehill.com for directions to all the tree farms and stop by Abel’s Apple farm to get a fresh buttermilk apple pie. It’s a must. My husband, two children and I have many happy memories of cutting down our very own tree. Oh, and the smell is incredible!

23 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Fresh cut trees! We haven’t cut our own since we lived in New York, but I’m so glad to know about Apple Hill. I actually have relatives near Placerville!

24 Dorothee November 13, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Thank you for giving me some much needed christmas decorating inspiration. It is our first year with a yard and I will definitely use some of these ideas (burlap! window wreaths!) when I get around to decorating. I cannot wait!
In Germany we celebrate Nikolaus on Dec. 6th. All children clean their boots the night of the fifth and leave one of them in front of the main entrance. Nikolaus comes by during the night and fills them with treats – citrusy mandarines, (also lovely smelling) pine tree cuttings and a chocolate Nikolaus or Father Christmas if the child was good – if the child was bad Knecht Ruprecht fills it with coal and a barren branch. Your hunter boots totally reminded me of this tradition.
Happy Holidays!

25 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 6:50 pm

So lovely! Thank you for sharing details about the Nikolaus tradition. That is as charming as can be!

26 dana gault November 13, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Oh my. Stunning. Seriously, next year, you and Jordan should do an entire home. I would pay money to see it! Cheers!

27 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Hah! As long as you promise to give us more than 2 weeks to prepare. : )

28 Jocelyn November 13, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I love this! I’ve been feeling kind of blah with our wreaths and decorations so this was great inspiration. I love how you tied that ribbon on the wreath…it is so simple but so elegant. The colors are all gorgeous too! How would you have the door wreath plugged in without it getting in the way?

29 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I like how the burlap ribbon turned out, too!

For plugging in the door wreath, it’s tricky. The only way I’ve seen it work, is bringing an extension cord from the wreath to the hinge side of the door, then running it along the edge of the door down to the ground, and over to an exterior outlet. Since the hinge side of the door stays in essentially the same spot, the cord won’t keep the door from opening.

Of course, then you’ll want to camouflage the extension cord to match your door…

Perhaps there is a battery pack or something simpler you can use?

30 Martha November 14, 2013 at 10:48 am

They sell small strands that are battery powered. Perfect for a wreath.

31 Deb Smith November 13, 2013 at 4:11 pm

It’s so lovely! I’m going to have to check out that red paint – I love the brightness. We already have a red door, but these photos make me want to take it up a notch. I also love the way the burlap is draped over the wreath as opposed to a traditional bow. It looks much more modern (and certainly easier than tying bows!).

32 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm

It’s such a bold shade of red. I love it!

33 Elise November 13, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I’m prepping my door for a fresh coat of red this week! Love the lit up wreaths with ribbon. I imagine that they have to plug in somehow? Not sure how to nicely do that since I don’t have an outdoor outlet nearby…

34 Design Mom November 13, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Jocelyn (above) had the same question if you’d like to see what I suggested. Honestly, I’m on the hunt for a better option here, because the solution I’ve seen is a bit wonky.

35 Julie November 13, 2013 at 8:02 pm

restoration Hardware has battery operated sparkly lights on thin wire…..

36 Design Mom November 14, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Good to know. Thanks, Julie!

37 Karen November 13, 2013 at 9:53 pm

What fun! I like the gift-filled boots the best (with the small tree a close runner-up). I tend to be more of a traditionalist with my own decorations but enjoy looking at other styles. Sometimes I dream about starting from scratch with a whole new holiday aesthetic. But then I would be crushed to not be surrounded by my cherished Christmas collection throughout December. Of course, if I were asked to do a design challenge like this, I could have the best of both worlds. (And yes, I would love it.)

38 Design Mom November 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I know what you mean. It did feel like the best of both worlds to me. I got to create a look that was very different than anything I’ve done in my own home.

39 Autumn Duke November 13, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I love this! The white décor is so simple, but stunning. I especially love that wreath. I definitely need to revamp my Christmas décor, and I feel so inspired now! Thanks for that. Also, that green skirt? Perfect. I love the look for the holiday season!

40 Design Mom November 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Yay! So glad I inspired you, Autumn.

41 kate wilson November 14, 2013 at 8:09 am

This is so lovely! I saw the rundown of all the rooms over at decor8blog.com a few days ago and was madly pinning away. Well done! I think it turned out simply magical. I especially love your red door and the white garland and wreath. At our house, I love live trees and live boughs for Christmas. I just love the smell and feel of the real thing. This year I’m hoping to find an evergreen tree in a pot that we can plant in the yard after Christmas.

42 Design Mom November 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Potted Christmas trees are wonderful! This new house, with it’s woodsy back yard would be perfect for that.

43 bliss November 14, 2013 at 8:23 am

i remember seeing a photo of you that night on instagram but seeing the full body shot here, i have to say: that was a particularly babe-type night for you. “six kids lived in there?” type of night. looking good mama.

44 Design Mom November 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Ah. You make me blush! Thank you.

45 Laicie / A Thousand Threads November 14, 2013 at 11:19 am

Those wellies are PERFECT! And that red door… all of it, it’s beautiful! What a fun challenge!

46 Design Mom November 14, 2013 at 1:30 pm

It really was so fun, Laicie. I loved being a part of it.

47 Miranda November 14, 2013 at 4:05 pm

My goodness, I love everything about this! I love the traditional red with the bright white. Every year I think about embracing pinks and blues for Christmas but for me I t always comes back to red.

48 Design Mom November 15, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I know what you mean. Even when I focus on golds for our tree, I’ll end up using red in another room. I can’t help it!

49 Grace @ sense and simplicity November 14, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Touches of red against white and silver are one of my favourite colour combinations for Christmas. I love the shade of red on the front door – it’s dramatic and joyful and classic all at the same time. I think it would be difficult to design a porch/room from scratch, but you did an excellent job.

50 Design Mom November 15, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Thank you, Grace. It was a fun challenge!

51 Mary November 14, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Love the unexpected details here! Any chance on finding the source for the paper leaf garlands? Thanks, great work!

52 Design Mom November 15, 2013 at 11:44 pm

You bet! They’re actually from Lowe’s. Find them here.

I can’t believe I forgot to add the link in the main post. Thanks for the reminder!

53 Kristen November 14, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I love everything about this! I am heading to Lowe’s this weekend for those wreaths and garland—my decor needs refreshing and this is just what I’m in the mood for. Yay, Lowe’s, for coming up with such a fun (and helpful!) event. Bravo, Gabby, for such a lovely (and implementable!) design.

54 Design Mom November 15, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Yay! So glad I could offer assistance.

55 mominmendon November 14, 2013 at 11:21 pm

So much fun!

56 Design Mom November 15, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Thanks, Mom!

57 Meegan November 15, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Love the front door! It makes me want to paint mine red.

58 Design Mom November 15, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Tempting, right? And it’s one of those projects where you don’t need much to make a big impact. A quart of paint and a brush will do the trick!

59 Shannon { writer + editor } November 16, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I love this! What a fun thing to get to do, especially with your sister. In New York! You rose to the challenge brilliantly. (Those boots!)

My house at Christmas is a total hodge-podge of everything, with a heavy dash of kids’ art. They do bring home a lot of Christmas projects from school! My new favorite decorating tradition is our “Scandinavian tree.” We find a small, somewhat scraggly tree (about 3 feet tall) in the woods, put it in a little stand on an overturned metal bucket in the kitchen, and decorate it with Nordic-inspired ornaments. It’s as close as I come to feeling like a decorator!

60 Design Mom November 18, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I love the Scandinavian Tree idea!

61 CK November 18, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Love the burlap ribbon… where did you find it?!

62 Design Mom November 18, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I ordered it from Online Fabric Store. Here’s the link.

63 Neriss balzary November 24, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Gorgeous. I will do something like this next year after seeing this. Could you tell me if the wreaths and garlands are battery operated or not please.

64 Jessica December 2, 2014 at 9:59 am

How did you tie the burlap around the wreath? I love it.