A Few Things

November 1, 2013

Keychains by 3 Potato 4

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Friends, it’s November! We made it. We made it through October. I don’t know how you feel, but November 1st feels like a triumph to me. October might be my favorite month — the ideal weather, the brilliant leaves, the pumpkin cookies. But when Halloween night ends, I’ve usually maxed out my ability to have conversations about costumes or candy or trick or treating. For me, it’s always delightful to say hello to Halloween on October 1st, and equally delightful to say goodbye to Halloween on November 1st. How about you?

While I take down the Halloween decor and box up the costumes, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share:

- What?! Jimmy Fallon is wearing the FashionABLE scarf that was designed at Alt Summit. (The Genet scarf is my favorite! I wear it all the time.)

What are we looking for?

- Instagram experiments.

Beards + spaghetti.

- I snapped the keychains (above) at a little shop here in Oakland called Nathan & Co. They’re made by 3 Potato 4. All are good reminders for me right now!

- Do you live near any urban farms?

- DIY Polka dot tights.

- The right hand sidebar is updated with lots of November goodness. Take a look!

- The good, the bad and the ugly about GMOs (genetically modified food).

- A nursery with terrific thrift store finds.

- I need new jeans. I think I’ll stick with my favorite pair from The Gap. What are your tried and true favorite jeans these days?

- Dinner inspiration — 16 soup recipes to warm you to your toes.

I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing weekend, accompanied by a giant bowl of leftover Halloween candy. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — Are you watching the heart breaking news unfold at #LAX? I was just on the phone with my sister, Sara, and her husband is at LAX trying to catch a flight. He doesn’t know any more about what’s going on than what I’m seeing on the news, but of course, we’re bugging him for updates like crazy. So scary!

1 Nina November 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I agree, I think October is my favorite month as well. I’m in Berkeley, so I’m enjoying equally nice weather! Though I’m looking forward to some cold and cozy nights.

So true, what ARE we looking for? I used to to obsessively do the same, constantly checking my phone when I’m waiting. I’ve now forced myself to enjoy a moment of silence and time to myself and my thoughts. My favorite writer, A.S Byatt says that she spends whole afternoons, thinking. Isn’t that wonderful? Instead of waiting, think.

I love Fridays so I can go through your Few Things. Thank you!

2 Bambi November 1, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Have a beautiful weekend as well and a happy All Saints’ Day (I’m not sure whether Mormons celebrate All Saints?)

Love,
Bambi

3 marie November 1, 2013 at 4:00 pm

jeans ! i need jeans ! my favourits for the past 8 (?) years : old navy. a perfect fit: good looking/comfortable/affordable. the problem: i don’t live in the usa (and didn’t travel there lately). and i simply refuse to pay more for the mailorder than for the jeans itself. so my project for tomorrow: go find jeans in my own town : )

4 Karen from Chookooloonks November 1, 2013 at 5:13 pm

thanks for the shout-out, friend. (and I wear Genet all the time, too!)

Hope your brother-in-law is safe,

K.

5 Joolz November 1, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I was happy to see the end of Halloween, though is cute to see the kids, and my daughter learned to hold out her hand for candy! Also fun to do a little photoshoot of Cordie for my new blog.
Hope all is well with your Brother in law, it’s been sad watching those events unfold.

6 Corrin November 2, 2013 at 7:34 am

Why did I think Three Potato Four shut down? I’m so glad they’re back on my radar!

7 Hayley November 2, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Old Navy Mid-rise Rockstar! They are perfect. But buy 1 size up because they fit super tight and do not get saggy.

And I CANNOT WAIT to take the halloween decorations down tomorrow morning.

Cheers!

8 Celeste & Pearl November 2, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I just bought my first pair of jeans from the Gap, and I have to say I love them! You can’t beat the price! I got the ones you recommend in the dark rinse; I feel great in them!

Hope you’re having a great weekend!

Warmest,
Liz and Lo
{celesteandpearl.blogspot.com}

9 Cate November 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm

My current obsession is Levi’s Modern Rise Demi Curve Skinny Jeans. A mouthful but they fit like a dream. I’m fit a fit 23 year old but I have some hips (which I both love and hate depending on the day) and a defined waist and bottom. They fit so well without making me feel like I’m 16 or 60 (both ages are lovely but definitely not me!)

I assume they cost a bit more than Gap or Old Navy but they are well worth the price, even for this stingy gal.

10 Hillary November 3, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Planning on getting my fill of pumpkin before the official Christmas season has started and for me that does not begin the day after Halloween. Thanks for the pumpkin cookie link. :)

11 lisa thomson November 3, 2013 at 11:39 pm

October is such a busy month…which is weird because you would think it’s December what with Christmas and all. Both my kids birthdays, Thanksgiving and Halloween all in one month used to wear me out. Now that the kids are grown though, it’s easier. I don’t worry about costumes etc. Thanks for the links and yes, Happy November to you too!

12 cath November 5, 2013 at 1:52 am

Just bought a pair of AG Jeans, best of all to me; I chose the Ballad kind.