2013 Design Mom Gift Guides

November 29, 2013

Design Mom gift guide boards

By Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends. Happy Black Friday! I’ll be honest, I’m not actually braving the crowds today, opting instead to turn on the Christmas music and re-organize our kitchen. But that doesn’t mean gift lists aren’t on my mind. Oh contraire! Oscar and Betty have brought me at least a dozen letters to Santa this morning. Each new draft is revised, edited and updated, with instructions to discard the old version. They know that at our house Santa only brings something to wear, something to play with, and something to read (more on that here), so they want to get the letter just right. : )

Speaking of gifts and lists, I’m trying something new this year. I’m using Pinterest to create my 2013 Gift Guides. And it’s been so much fun! I love it, because there’s no limit to how many gifts I can pin — I keep adding to the boards whenever I see a good idea. Of course, I’ll still be featuring fun products and hosting some extra giveaways here on the blog between now and Christmas, but if you want to find a whole bunch of good gift ideas in one spot, feel free to follow along on Pinterest!

So far, I’ve created 5 boards:

1) Gifts for Friends You Really Like.
Pretty products and thoughtful gifts for your best friend, your sister, or your Mom. At lots of price ranges.

2) Gifts for Kids.
Featuring lots of the interesting toys and products I’m eyeing for my own kids this year. Some to make and some to buy. I’ll be adding to this one right away — as soon as those letter’s to Santa are finalized. : )

3) Gifts for the Men in Your Life.
So far, this board has the least pins, but I’ll be beefing it up as the shopping season continues. Lots of the picks here work for my teens as well.

4) Gifts that Kids Can Really Make.
This is a really happy board. We have a long-standing tradition of our children making gifts for each other, and so far this board has approximately 50 (and counting!) ideas for DIYs that kids can really do.

5) Gifts That Make the World Better.
I may be happiest with this board — Pinterest is even featuring it as part of their official Gift Guides. So cool! And it’s full of feel-good gift ideas. Gifts that give back. I really hope you’ll take a peek.

petit collage board

To spice things up, I’m also working with Petit Collage on a really fun Pinterest contest! I curated a board of my favorite Petit Collage gifts here. Check it out and repin your favorites. Anyone who repins is automatically entered to win a generous $150 gift certificate to Petit Collage!! It’s really that easy. Find the board I curated here and repin to win. (More details here.) Good luck!

Of course, I’d love your feedback. Are you using Pinterest to gather gift ideas this year? Or to prevent inspiration-overload, are you steering clear of Pinterest this month?

{ 2 trackbacks }

Just Moms » Blog Archive » 2013 Design Mom Gift Guides
November 30, 2013 at 10:30 am
6 Days of Gift Ideas | Peppered Thought
December 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm

1 Bridget November 29, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I do love the read/play/wear tradition, but how do you explain to kids that Santa works differently at your home rather than their friend’s homes? And do they think it’s strange that the siblings give something to everyone but that you as the parents don’t? I don’t have children yet, but I want to know how this whole strategy would work! :)

2 Design Mom November 29, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Good questions, Bridget. As for the first one, luckily, it hasn’t really come up. I suppose because there’s never really a time our kids compare their goods to their friends. But we have told them that we as parents made this request of Santa. So if they did notice a difference, I suppose they could assume their friend’s parents gave Santa different directions.

And for the second one, we give our kids pajamas on Christmas Eve, so they do get a gift from Mom and Dad. And really, by the time they’re old enough to really track who is giving what presents, and who they want to give presents to, they’re usually past the Santa years.

When they’re little, Christmas is amazement over the gifts in general. At least, that’s been true for my kids. They don’t seem too aware that a particular gift is from Grandpa versus Santa. If they do remember, it’s probably because I’ve repeated, “What a wonderful gift from Grandpa!”

3 Bridget November 29, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Aha, jut another example of good, assertive parenting. It’s nice to think that you can give them an answer and it’s not questioned like crazy – although knowing me, I’m going to end up with kids that always have a case of the “whys.”

I do remember the PJ’s one and I love this one. It’s just such a nice thing to get new warm and cozy pajamas the night before Christmas. And I guess it’s hard to know when the age line will come when they know…but hopefully it will all work out with the sort of logic you’re describing. :)

One thing I will say is my mom was always very, very strict with writing thank you notes. We would have to write all of our notes and post them before we’d get to open the box of legos, or read the book. When we were really little, she’d have us color pages with crayons and then she would write a little note on top of it. The idea was that we were spoiled, but if we were going to be spoiled, we would at least be gracious about the whole thing.

Also – didn’t you know that “Pie For Breakfast Day” is an official holiday? Well, at least in my family it is. :)

4 Dale November 29, 2013 at 5:42 pm

It is easy to get overloaded but I love reading through all the gift suggestions
We make most of our gifts (kids are early twenties now) so many years of presents
and going over the top …we focus on practical(food!) but I still love seeing all the sweet toys
Thank you !

5 Lauren November 29, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Thank you for these lists. I have no idea what to get my kids this year and love your ideas. Feeling blessed to already have so much “stuff”.

We do “something you want…” too and it is a nice tradition. Kids always compare but you just have to stress your individual family values. I grew up next to my cousins and they always got cooler stuff Christmas morning. It is what it is. :)

6 Kate November 29, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Thanks for that! This will be the second year I do DIY gifting to the majority of folks and this helps! Always open to new ideas :)

7 Nina November 29, 2013 at 9:30 pm

LOVE the gift guides. Particularly the Gifts Kids Can Really Make and the Make the World a Better Place. Just what I look for every Christmas. I don’t like consuming a whole bunch of stuff and just giving people things without thought, just cause it’s a gift. Many of those things end up getting thrown out a year later. Why not give something that really makes a difference and creates a memory. Thank you so much for compiling these!

8 Emily November 30, 2013 at 6:49 am

HOORAY!!! I’m trying to only give gifts that give or gifts from small businesses this year so I am SO excited to see your last board!! Thank you so much!

9 Allison December 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Ooohhhh! I’m loving this! Especially love the “gifts Kids Can really make!” While I have big ambitions to homemake stuff- and am inspired by the list-we will see how it pans out! But inspiring still!

10 Amy December 1, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Hello! It’s about that time to visit designmom to see what ideas are around for homemade siblings gifts this Christmas!! How happy I was to see a whole Pinterest page dedicated to these ideas. For the first time ever….I have an idea for you! String art is my new obsession and my daughter will be making the initials of her 3 brothers in string art for them. Look around and see if this is something that tickles your fancy for your Pinterest page! Xoxo

11 cath December 2, 2013 at 9:17 am

I like your selection, but I was wondering if you had ideas for older kids, you know a 12-year-old boy, a 9-year-old-girl and teenagers in general, things that are not related to i-something!! Thank you Gabrielle, love your blog!

12 Jess. December 2, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Oh, how I love gift giving. And Christmas. And making the world a better place. I’m following your boards now! Have you seen these “save the world” sandals?
I just love them. I would like to own a pair, and not just gift them. Thanks, Gabrielle for this lovely post. I like you so much.