Trick Or Treat Plans

October 31, 2013

trick or treat

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Have you carved your pumpkins, or maybe spray-painted and glittered them? Stocked up on candy galore, or purchased four dozen apples? (Parents will love you, but be prepared for some sad, quizzical little faces!) Will you serve brains for dinner, or just call it spaghetti? Have you been practicing pretending you’re not at home even when the doorbell rings seven hundred times, or are you already waiting for your first trick-or-treater to arrive? Does your costume match your little one’s, or will you be the one going as The Pink Princess’s Mother Who Wears Denim and Uggs?

It’s cute to see all the different personalities come out on fun holidays like Halloween. Tell me all about your plans for the night, if you have any. What have you most been anticipating with glee? What are you already dreading?

As for our family, we have costume parades and class parties, then trick or treating this evening — nothing too unusual. But since we haven’t really celebrated Halloween for the last two years, this feels special as can be! Which reminds me about one unexpected surprise this year. I assumed our kids would want to go all out on costumes. Instead, all but Oscar chose something we already had in the costume box. Hah! Maybe they were just glad to see those familiar favorites once again.

In case you’re curious, Ralph went to school as The Big Bad Wolf (seen here), Maude went as Medusa (originally worn by Oscar), Olive is reprising her role as The Mummy (worn earlier by both herself and Ralph), Oscar is a Ninja (yay for a new costume!), Betty is trying out our Mrs. Frankenstein costume (originally worn by Maude), and June is a Fancy Witch (a costume Betty wore back in the day). How about your kids? New costumes, or recycled ones from past years?

Here’s to a Happy Halloween for all!

P.S. — We’ve heard from neighbors that our street, which is sort of hidden away, doesn’t get trick or treaters. So we’ll be seeking elsewhere for our evening festivities. And speaking of treats, do you have a candy policy at your house? Here’s some good advice, and our own family policy, for handling all that candy!

1 Thelma October 31, 2013 at 10:49 am

We’re so excited! Halloween has been cancelled in our town for the past two years due to the aftermath of a snowstorm, and then hurricane Sandy. We live on a BIG trick-or-treating street, so I’ve got about 700 pieces of candy at the ready, decorated the yard with plastic pumpkins (as you have above) which will glow with little lights, real pumpkins have been carved, mummy dogs will be served, and we’ll be The Wolverines!

Have fun!

2 Design Mom October 31, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Mummy dogs! I think we’ll do the same. That, or a big batch of chili. Or maybe both.

3 Victoria October 31, 2013 at 11:05 am

I love that your teenagers went to school dressed up today. My 16 & 17 year old were Alice in Wonderland and Vanellope Von Schweetz–I dropped them off at school and they were the only costumes I saw walking around. I’m sure there’ll be other teens dressed up, but I was so proud of them not being afraid to stand out!

4 Design Mom October 31, 2013 at 12:27 pm

We love Wreck it Ralph, too!

5 Janet October 31, 2013 at 11:08 am

My girl is going as Mickey Mouse (please don’t let anyone call her Minnie Mouse!) and I am going as Mickey’s chef with a hat and apron! At work today, I’m wearing “Where’s Waldo” glasses in my lame attempt to be more fun! :) Tons of trick or treaters in our neighborhood — so many that when we run out of candy, my girl donates some of hers — the yucky stuff! :) Have fun!

6 Design Mom October 31, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I think the glasses sound perfect. Even the littlest effort is appreciated on Halloween.

7 Laura at RatherSquare.com October 31, 2013 at 11:16 am

Our toddler is too young for carving pumpkins, so we did some crafty glitter-glue pumpkin decorating instead. Not exactly Pinterest-worthy, but we love it all the same!

8 Design Mom October 31, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Just right for a toddler! It turned out sweet.

9 Brimful October 31, 2013 at 11:27 am

The military base we live on has excellent family friendly trick-or-treating, so I’m looking forward to that with my three tonight. I’ll be keeping company with a frost fairy (flower girl dress gets a new spin!), a knight in shining armor, and a mouse. We sort all the candy after coming home, take all the not-so-good-candy-for-little-teeth to our trusty gate guards…and keep the rest for lunchbox treats. We all have a blast, we share the sugary booty, and everyone is still in bed by 8pm. Whew!

10 Design Mom October 31, 2013 at 12:31 pm

We sort the candy too! Sometimes by kind (chocolate vs fruit). But other times I just sort it by color because it looks so pretty! : )

11 Amy3 October 31, 2013 at 11:40 am

My daughter is repurposing a hand-me-down dress she used two years ago. Then she was a ‘dead duchess’, today she’s a goth girl. All we needed to add was fishnet tights, black eyeliner, and black lipstick. So easy!

12 Design Mom October 31, 2013 at 12:28 pm

That’s the best. I love when we can repurpose a costume. Makes that initial investment of time/money worth it.

13 Geneviève October 31, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Wow… I’m so in love with the Ninja costume. I have 3 boys (musketeers, viking and skunk) ;) Could you tell me where have you been found it??? I’m thinking about next year :)

14 Design Mom October 31, 2013 at 3:31 pm

You bet! Found it on Amazon, and it’s a bargain. Here’s the link.

15 Kristi Marsh October 31, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Fun! We also live on a street that doesn’t get trick-or-treaters! It’s actually nice when you have kids, because then both parents can go out, and one doesn’t have to stay behind to pass out candy :)

16 Design Mom October 31, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I hadn’t thought of that, Kristi. Nice bonus!

17 Tessa October 31, 2013 at 2:50 pm

We are having an early supper of mummy dogs and mac and cheese, then it’s off trick-or-treating. If we get organized to leave early enough, the kids can make a stop at daddy’s office to show him their costumes. We’ll be home early as my little Rainbow Dash, Rapunzel, and dinosaur (love his little “rawrrr”) are 6, 4, and 1. I’m looking forward to sneaking a piece or two of candy after they are in bed :)

18 Design Mom October 31, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Trick or treating at those ages is delightful! You can keep it really short if needed — a little goes a long way.

19 Jenny also October 31, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Hi Gabby,

If you’re looking for the ideal (but not to big) big and little kid friendly few blocks for trick or treating check out Haight Ave on the West side of Alameda. The 300 block rocks! The “Haighers” really go all out. (we live a couple of blocks away and feel super lucky to be so close but not right there)

20 Tasha October 31, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Double bummer for me because I love Halloween (and any excuse for festivities)…our junior high/high schools do not allow kids to dress up nor can we give treats to students:( I rushed out to buy candy and then it rained. The 6 kids who came to my house got a lot of candy lol!!!

21 jessica October 31, 2013 at 5:30 pm

we have a bumble bee and a ballerina in our house!

22 Karen Hynds October 31, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I borrowed your idea and sewed some spiders on my work uniform. Some of the staff got a huge shock and screamed /yelled. It was fantastic!!! Halloween is becoming more popular here in Australia,so I decorated our front door with cobwebs. Lots of kids out for” Trick or Treat”
Cheers
Karen

23 Lana November 1, 2013 at 7:23 am

We do homemade donuts for trick or treaters at my in-laws house. Other people in the neighborhood do cotton candy and someone else does homemade rootbeer. It’s a fun neighborhood, but I think the donuts take the prize ;). This year we went through almost 400 donuts! We have cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar, and chocolate glaze to dip the donuts into. This year we also did our holiday card in October in our Halloween costumes. The husband and I were bank robbers, our baby girl a bag of money with a dollar bill bow, and our (miserably tolerant) cat was a little police officer. The family loved getting an early and different holiday card. Halloween is our favorite.

24 Tasha November 1, 2013 at 7:53 am

You guys are awesome!

25 Ann November 1, 2013 at 9:50 am

I like this photo! I noticed this at Target and thought it would make a good picture!

26 Bryony November 1, 2013 at 11:01 am

We don’t have enough costumes to recycle yet with only a 2-year-old in the house! Plus, all of my old costumes are back in the States at my parents’ house. We’ve never had trick-or-treaters either in the 3 years we’ve been in our town here in Hampshire. Sad. Probably the reason our son’s penguin costume from last year is now worn as pyjamas…

27 Brent November 1, 2013 at 11:15 am

Saw the Vanellope comment earlier, our whole family went as wreck it ralph characters! We have a 2/3 piece policy the night of trick or treating, then combine it all dontate the majority of it to the soldiers.

28 Emily November 6, 2013 at 8:14 am

I have never really been able to get into Halloween, it’s just not my favorite! But I loved watching everyones adorable Instas pop up this year, seeing a baby in a costume is the best!