Self-Driving Cars

October 18, 2013

Google-Driverless-Taxi-Cab-537x389

By Koseli.

Remember when we talked about self-driving cars last year? Well wait till you hear this: New York City Mayor Bloomberg signed a deal with Google to roll out 5,000 driverless taxis by 2014. By 2014! Apparently each new taxi will be equipped with an ATM and food vending machines, but that’s hardly why I’m excited. Apparently, they’ve been testing the cars since 2010 and they’ve proven to be safer, and more efficient than cars driven by humans.

Are you as excited as I am about this? Or skeptical of a car that drives itself? Let’s talk about how crazy a self-driving car seems and how it feels like we’re living in the future!

P.S. — This article is a good place to start if you’d like to know more about self-driving cars.

{ 2 trackbacks }

A Look into the New York Tabletop Show at Forty One Madison | Life in Sketch
October 18, 2013 at 10:01 am
Junk Drawer: Week of October 25th, 2013 | The-Wonderist
October 25, 2013 at 4:01 am

1 Jo October 18, 2013 at 8:48 am

Um I don’t want to sound skeptical but the link you gave links to an article categorized under April Fools and published on 4/1/12. Is it possible that this was just an April Fool’s Day joke? The Google patent is real but I’m not sure about the 5000 driverless cars in New York…

2 CMN October 18, 2013 at 8:56 am

Real or not, driverless taxis in NYC sound like a great idea! A computer following traffic patterns AND traffic laws sounds like a better ride than some of the taxi drivers I’ve had. PLUS, you wouldn’t have to specify routes or provide cross-streets for your destination (how can any taxi in NYC not know where Times Square is?!). BLISS!

3 Jenny Bailey October 18, 2013 at 9:01 am

I can only imagine the things people would do in there. There’s not enough antibacterial gel in the world to get me into a driverless cab.

4 Hayley October 18, 2013 at 9:14 am

Yeah… April Fools, good idea though!

5 jessie hansen October 18, 2013 at 9:37 am

It’s yet something else where yeah, the human drivers suck but they are at least employed. If everyone starts using driverless taxis won’t that be taking away from employment? Isn’t that something we’re fighting really hard in the US these days?

6 Sarah October 18, 2013 at 11:44 am

If not true now, then if it happens in the future, that would mean 5,000 non-degree requiring jobs that are gone. That’s terrible for a lot of people.

7 Design Mom October 18, 2013 at 11:58 am

Oh man. We talk about self-driving cars at the Blair house all the time. I seriously can not wait till they are available for the average consumer. I think of all the real damage that is done by humans making mistakes behind the wheel (texting, drinking, having a distracted conversation, falling asleep), and it seems so clear to me that a computer will do better. Plus, I keep imagining awesome family road trips where we can all talk together and the driver doesn’t feel isolated. (I know. A little thing, and silly, but still I can’t wait for self-driving cars!)

8 Sally from Little Hiccups October 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I imagine that roads will become much safer and traffic will flow much more smoothly once we can take human error out of the equation. Too many people try to multi task while driving here in the US (there is NO reason why you should ever be sending an SMS while driving) and it’s just so dangerous.

9 Jody October 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm

It does sound lovely, but on the flip side it’s another example of technology replacing humans…. = less jobs.

10 Sally from Little Hiccups October 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Wasn’t this an April Fool’s Day joke? The article in the link above has 4/1/12 as the date ;)
I’m sure it will happen some time in the future though. Google does have the technology but I’m sure it will time to get it approved for such use.

11 Sonia October 19, 2013 at 8:22 am

I just read this now, and I can’t jump on the happy bandwagon when I think of at least what, 15,000 people that will put out of work? Three shifts per cab, that’s a lot of people who make their living doing that. And it seems farcical to expect them to go back to school or just apply for another job and carry on. We can’t replace people with machines and pretent its those peoples problem to figure out how to keep living. Factory workers who were replaced by robots already suffered this, and you have to think of the human being and not just the “progress” .

12 Jody October 22, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Thank you Sonia. My thoughts exactly. I have had wonderful conversations with many drivers in many cities who are supporting families and living proud, productive lives.

13 Allison October 22, 2013 at 3:38 pm

True, very true, but this is the case with every industry as we become more technologically advanced. Fifty years ago a lot of people made their living as door-to-door salesmen, but no one made a living as an eBay store owner. Or a blogger.

I don’t mean to be flippant about a hardworking cabbie losing his job–that’s a terrible thing. What I’m saying is that growth, advancement, and automation happen in every industry, and this one is no different.

14 Claire (@Kurea_San) October 20, 2013 at 12:59 pm

That is crazy! I wonder how you would hail down one of those cabs if there’s no one in it to see you? And would it be cheaper because there’s no driver, or more expensive due to the technology…..

Claire xx

15 suknie slubne December 18, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my weblog so i came to “return the favor”.I’m attempting to find things to enhance my website!I
suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!