Radio Shows

October 22, 2013

Prairie_Home_Companion_EV_RE27

By Koseli. First image found here. Second here.

I love the radio. I grew up listening to Prairie Home Companion among a myriad of other AM and FM broadcasts that my parents loved. When I hear Garrison Keillor’s voice, I immediately feel like I’m eleven years old and it’s Saturday night in the warm kitchen I ate a thousand dinners in. It makes me so happy. As I’ve grown up, radio has changed and so has the way we listen to it. I mostly stream radio through my desktop at home, or if I want to listen to music, I turn on Rdio on my computer or Pandora on my phone.

alec-baldwin

One of my favorite podcasts is Here’s The Thing by Alec Baldwin. He interviews Hollywood celebrities in one episode (Michael Douglas) and influential policy makers (Ed Rollins) in another. I’ve also just discovered The Longest Shortest Time (oh my, isn’t that title perfect), a podcast by mother Hillary Frank all about the “surprising struggles of early parenthood.” It sounds wonderful and I can’t wait to listen.

Do you have any favorite radio shows or podcasts? How do you listen to music — on your phone, computer, or a real radio? :)

1 Bar October 22, 2013 at 7:28 am

Radio Lab on NPR is brilliant. We download the podcasts and listen to them on road trips. They are sciency without you knowing it, so we all learn the coolest things. The way they produce their show, with voiceovers and sound effects and transitions…you have to check it out. It’s artistic and fascinating!!

2 Koseli October 22, 2013 at 10:35 am

We love Radio Lab too! Honestly, it makes me want to write for radio. They’re so well-done.

3 Nikie October 22, 2013 at 7:51 am

Radiolab is a hit for the whole family!

4 Lynnette October 22, 2013 at 8:08 am

Another vote for radio lab! I listen to quite a few NPR shows, usually in podcast form, including Science Friday, Fresh Air, This American Life, and the local show Radio West. I’m an avid memory keeper, so I also enjoy a few scrapbooking podcasts too. For any Mormons out there I highly recommend The Cultural Hall podcast.

5 megwrites October 22, 2013 at 8:22 am

I really like YA author Sara Zarr’s podcast This Creative Life, where she interviews other authors and creative people about…well, their creative lives!

6 Koseli October 22, 2013 at 10:37 am

Oh, I’m excited to try this one out. Here’s the link : http://www.sarazarr.com/blog-podcasts

Thanks, Meg!

7 Jane Y. October 22, 2013 at 8:56 am

ever since we got rid of cable, we listen to npr in the morning as we get ready for the day. saturdays and sundays we always listen to car talk, wait wait don’t tell me and of course a prairie home companion. this is our absolute favorite as well. we saw them at wolftrap earlier this year and was so much fun. we also love the splendid table and storycorps. such sweet stories they share (ok and a little of anime geeky stuff is always welcome as well)!

8 Koseli October 22, 2013 at 10:39 am

I saw Prairie Home Companion at Snowbird when I was in High School—I admit I got all starstruck when I saw Garrison Keillor walk by the line with his signature red socks. I was such a nerd.

Need to get into Splendid Table and Storycorps more. That would be perfect for the next few weeks when I’m home with a new baby.

9 rachel swartley October 22, 2013 at 9:10 am

I’m a big fan of This American Life — their iPhone app is the best $3 investment I ever made! My absolute favorite episode is Switched at Birth.

10 Elise October 22, 2013 at 11:03 am

Downloading this one right now!

11 Christina October 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Another vote for This American Life! I also enjoy Alec Baldwin’s Here’s the Thing. My husband listens to the Freakonomics podcasts and I listen to Marketplace daily.

12 Amanda S. October 22, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Agreed!! I love This American Life SO much!!! The podcast app is awesome. Switched at Birth definitely stayed with me, too. My favorite has to be the one where Ira talks about his crazy dog, Piney. Hysterical. I went back and listened to all the episodes since it started and there are so many great ones. I also love Snap Judgement and Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me.

13 Deidra October 22, 2013 at 9:36 am

I didn’t think watching radio could be amazing, but going to a taping of Prairie Home Companion was one of my favorite dates ever. It was incredible.

We’re big fans of Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me at our house.

14 Koseli October 22, 2013 at 10:40 am

Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me is so great, Deidra.

Ditto on the watching the radio being produced. I’ll never forget lounging on the grass, eating my first fish taco, and watching a live taping of Prairie Home Companion at Snowbird Resort in Utah. It really opened my eyes to a whole new world. (Like when you see your first real play.)

15 chelle October 22, 2013 at 10:14 am

NPR’s Pop Culture Happy Hour is my latest addiction. I also love Radio Lab, some This American Life, and the Splendid Table.

16 Koseli October 22, 2013 at 10:41 am

Pop Culture Happy Hour sounds genius. Totally going to check that out now.

17 Becca October 22, 2013 at 10:15 am

I love radio shows and podcasts! Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me on NPR has been a favorite for years, and I’m also a big fan of Radio Lab. I can’t wait to check out Here’s the Thing, and I’ll be watching the comments here for more ideas.

18 Elise October 22, 2013 at 11:02 am

I am a new avid podcast listener, once I realized I can listen to podcasts while I work (music is always too distracting). I love Radio Lab, StarTalk with Neil DeGrasse, and The Moth! This American Life is great. Will check out the other suggestions. Would love to subscribe to more about creativity and parenting!

19 Kristen October 22, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Looks like I need to start listening to Radiolab! I dig Here’s The Thing, NPR’s All Songs Considered, but the one I can’t wait to listen to is 99% Invisible, http://99percentinvisible.org/. Crazy entertaining, fantastic storytelling about the “built world.” I do suggest going back a few – “Heyoon” or “Trading Places with Planet Money.” (My two favorites.)

20 The Other Robin October 22, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I love Prairie Home Companion, too! My people are Lutheran Minnesotans so Garrison Keillor is like my long-lost, story-telling uncle! We saw them do the show once at the Hollywood Bowl. Such a wonderful memory!
We love all things N.P.R., but our newest favorite is Snap Judgement. I have been known to sit in the car in the driveway just to listen to the end of a story that I became engrossed in during an errand. When I finally come in, I’ll say “I just heard the most amazing story on the radio!” And my husband will say “Was it Snap Judgement?!?! I heard it too!!”

21 julie Q October 22, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I am working my way through BBC Desert Island Discs podcasts. A half hour interview with celebrities/politicians/artists/authors on their fave songs that they would take to a Desert Island.

Julie Q

22 Kate October 22, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I love Alec Baldwin’s podcast too!

23 Claire P October 22, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I’ve been addicted to the How Stuff Works podcasts for a while now, in particular Stuff You Should Know, Stuff you Missed in History Class and Stuff Mom never told you. They’re really informative, sometimes funny and always entertaining. :)

24 Kate October 22, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Ditto for How Stuff Works. I am a big fan of some of the BBC’s podcasts. Especially ” Soul Music ” as they have ordinary people and some famous ones talk about a particular piece of music and why it is special to them.

25 Gia October 22, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I love radio. I love all the shows listed above and more. If you love This American Life, and The Moth you will love 99% Invisible. Such entertaining and unique storytelling about things that are right under our noses. Our friend Roman Mars produces it, but even if he wasn’t a friend I would listen. So good.
Go back and listen to the episode on dazzle ships and the one on flags. Especially as fans of design, this show is invaluable. Our whole family loves this show, and we often continue researching something we first learned about on 99% Invisible.
Other favorites that I actually tune in to listen to: Fresh Air, Marketplace, Your Call, Radiolab, Smiley and West, and The World.

26 Kristen October 23, 2013 at 9:15 am

LOVE 99% Invisible!

27 Michelle October 23, 2013 at 12:30 am

‘Here’s the Thing’ is on a hiatus for now according to this tweet from Alec Baldwin’

@ABFalecbaldwin: My last podcast (at least for now) is with
@JerrySeinfeld
Thank you, Jerry.

Makes me sad. It would be nice if his ‘Up Late’ show on msnbc could be formatted to an audio podcast. I am an audio type of gal as I can get chores and errands done while listening.

Another favorite podcast my kids and I listen to in the car is NPR’s ‘Ask Me Another’. Fun puzzles and word games with pop culture, history, and geography thrown in.

28 Rheagan October 23, 2013 at 11:26 am

I live overseas, but I stream NPR over the internet nearly every day. It keeps me connected to the US news and politics, and gives me a little taste of ‘home’ every day. I live in Ireland, so I listen to Morning Edition while making lunch, and then usually The Diane Rehm Show during my kids’ naptimes. Sometimes, late in the evening, I’ll listen to All Things Considered.

The Irish are avid radio listeners, and I frequently listen to RTE Lyric (http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/), which is a classical-jazz- whatever else the DJ feels like kind-of station. I feel like listening to it has given me a better insight into Irish life, and I have found some new artists to listen to! Win-win!

29 Ellen W October 23, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Another NPR junkie here – I listen to Planet Money, Pop Culture Happy Hour, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me and This American Life. I also enjoy Joy the Baker and Simple Mom from Homefries and Ryan & Ryan – two tv reviewers discussing various shows.

30 Ursula October 23, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Total NPR Junkie — and I listen live, on podcasts, you name it.

I’m a huge fan of Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me, This American Life, How Stuff Works and a lot of the other shows mentioned here. And I’m excited to try some new ones based on the suggestions above.

I also really enjoy Fresh Air with Terry Gross — that hour long interview format is so interesting to me. And the range of topics is so cool. One day you’re hearing an in depth (and hilarious) interview with Mel Brooks, the next day they’re talking to some scientist about genetics and behavior. Totally captivating for me.

31 Annie W October 23, 2013 at 11:57 pm

I thought I was the ONLY person under the age of 60 who likes Prairie Home Companion! Just like you, hearing it immediately takes me back to childhood. We used to listen to it on drives up the canyon to our family cabin. The annual joke show was always a favorite. I don’t listen to it weekly anymore, but always love running into it on the radio. I also love Wait Wait, This American Life, StoryCorps and RadioLab.

32 Jacqueline October 24, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Nope, I am under 60 and adore Prairie Home Companion and have been listening to it all my adult life. Saw Garrison when we lived in Munich at America House. Such a fun memory. I listen to many of the above and also Snap Judgement and Memory Palace. Can’t do without This American Life, Radio Lab and 99% invisible, but also America’s Test Kitchen and KCRW Good Food.

33 Holly Johnson October 28, 2013 at 4:25 am

I have been telling everyone about Grace Bonney’s (of Design Sponge) radio show, After the Jump on Heritage Radio Network (http://www.heritageradionetwork.com/programs/79-After-the-Jump). I have listened to all 52 broadcasts and cannot get enough! They are 30 minute radio interviews with creative entrepreneurs –from designers, chefs and authors to makers of all kinds. She grapples with the challenges of work, and presents endless inspiration for anyone who is either creative or entrepreneurial. I love to listen while I am doing mindless work in my studio or driving! (Heritage Radio Network also has a huge variety of awesome cooking/foodie shows that I am starting to explore!)

34 Asterisk Apesauce October 28, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I’ve scanned most recommendations above and it seems a couple quenticential podcasts can be added:
The dinner party download