Office Storage

October 2, 2013

Storage Bins by PB Teen

By Gabrielle.

I ordered a big piece of furniture yesterday, and I’m feeling so proud! Though my head has been doing better lately, I still feel like I’m working at about 60% of my usual speed. Which is frustrating! So being decisive and placing the order somehow felt like an accomplishment. (So odd, I know. But there it is.)

We have a terrific home office space with lots of windows where we’ve placed our oversize worktable, and I can see it’s going to be a wonderful place to work (hopefully soon!). The biggest issue at the moment is that there is no closet or storage in the room. Combine that with the fact that as we settle in, the office is currently where we’re putting everything that doesn’t quite have a place yet, and you can imagine, it continues to be a big, giant mess in there no matter how much sorting and organizing I do. (Though we are making progress, see before and after.)

I wasn’t sure what I wanted, storage wise, but I started searching for armoires, cabinets and lockers to get a sense of what was out there. Of course, I’m always hoping to happen onto some unique piece on Craig’s List, or a university surplus sale, or at a used furniture store (like Urban Ore), but that takes patience and time. And I’m out of both as far as the office is concerned — I really need to get this place shaped up!

Storage from PB Teen

So I also started hunting for new pieces. And who would have guessed, PB Teen had my top two choices! This Metal Chest of Drawers and this 15 Drawer Set of Bookshelves. Both choices are industrial looking, which I’m always drawn to, and both have enclosed bins so I can hide messy storage (like craft supplies, and Maude’s yarn collection). We picked the red ones! Bonus, I’ve been holding on to some credit at the Pottery Barn companies for over a year now, making the purchase more affordable.

I always feel a little funny buying something new that has been artificially aged, but I think this piece will be really functional, and go a long way toward getting this space organized. And I think the red will be a fun focal point! What do you think of it? And have you ever felt that sense of accomplishment from finally making a decision?

P.S. — Sometimes I forget about PB Teen — especially when shopping for something in an office space — but their designers are spot on! I mean, look at this Love Rug. And this good-looking Alarm Clock (on clearance!). Also, the shelves are actually on back order till later this month. So it turns out I’m having to be patient anyway. Hah!

1 Laura at Rather Square October 2, 2013 at 11:52 am

Love it! We have something similar that we found (for free!) in our back alley. It’s in good condition, but definitely has to be fixed up (it’s got peeling faux-bois contact paper all over it). We are also planning to use it in our office space. I even pinned some of the same images you have here as inspiration. Kismet!

2 Juliane at Modern Mural October 2, 2013 at 12:14 pm

It’s beautiful! I think with something functional like a chest of drawers, it’s good to get something new. It needs to last and open and close easily, and that’s not always the case with older furniture. Great choice!

3 Amy3 October 2, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I love that bookshelf for storage. It has a funky, quirky, industrial look that’s totally charming. I know what you mean about just not having it in you to scour many places for something more authentic. I think we’ve all been there. And I absolutely relate to a having a feeling of accomplishment from making a decision – it can be enormously satisfying.

4 Brimful October 2, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Very cool. I like the smaller 9-drawer version of the metal chest of drawers too! The library catalogue vibe is totally awesome.

5 Cortney October 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I’m totally digging the red 15 drawer storage… and who knew PB TEEN? I’m making a mental note to keep my eyes on their clearance section because THAT LOVE RUG is kind of amazing. Good luck with the space!

6 Melissa October 2, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Don’t forget to check out the Crate and Barrel Outlet store on 4th street in Berkeley. It’s a fantastic place to find housewares and furniture! Go on a weekday only, the weekends are a chaotic mess. Stay strong!

7 Kristin October 2, 2013 at 1:18 pm

That looks like a lovely piece! I know that you are less than impressed with the way you are getting things done, but at your 60%, you’re still functioning better than my 100%. If I call someone I’m ecstatic. We are all wired differently. Keep hanging in there, & you’ll get back to 100%. ;) and amaze me even more. :)

8 Zoe - SlowMama October 2, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Gosh, I think I may need that black one when we move to our next house! I am going to be all about storage, storage and more storage when that time comes. I love industrial design as long as it isn’t too cold — and really like both of these. I don’t think I even knew there was such a place as PB Teen!

Can’t wait to see all the choices you make in the coming days. You will get there.

9 becky October 2, 2013 at 2:41 pm

i think we must both be in same sort of slump at the moment – especially in regards to our homes. there is so much to do and so many choices and i need 100% right now and i am running close to 40% – simply because i’ve become so overwhelmed. i miss the joy behind it all. sigh. someday soon, things will feel a bit more settled and the clouds will clear a bit. you’re in my thoughts.

ps: i did find some lockers for the addition and i LOVE them and they hold soooo much stuff. but in my weird-i-can’t-do-the-fun-stuff-til-all-the-not-fun-stuff-is-done sort of mode – i won’t let myself organize (which is fun to me, i know – weird) or create the magnets for them. but that hasn’t stopped me from stuffing everything into them as a temporary hold-all (from lightbulbs to tape to the humidifier, etc.)…and then i’ll find myself yelling for someone to find something and that is followed by five minutes of the metallic ping of the doors as the poor sucker who was assigned the task has to open and close every single door until the hidden treasure is found – if a roll of masking tape can be considered hidden treasure. :)

10 becky October 2, 2013 at 2:41 pm
11 Barbara Smith October 2, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I am always so uplifted and inspired after reading your blog! You are really an amazing and gifted woman. Your family…precious! Hope you are enjoying Northern California!

12 JenC October 2, 2013 at 11:06 pm

So cute! And now that you’re in the Bay Area, don’t forget to bolt it to the wall!

13 Grace @ sense and simplicity October 3, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I love the lockers and they look like they will be functional and pretty.

p.s. I’m glad to hear you are functioning at 60% juice! Onward and upward.