Lunch Menu #6

October 14, 2013

turkey+swiss sandwich

Photo and Text by Lindsey Johnson for Design Mom.

This is another basic for our Lunch Menu #6 — turkey and swiss on whole wheat bread. I’m still a fan of basic lunches because they always get eaten up and my kids love them. I do want to highlight this super cool Wrap-N-Mat. It functions as a reusable sandwich wrap, but also as a place mat. I love it! It’s super easy for kids to use and fold up and fastens with velcro.

MENU #6
- Turkey and Swiss Sandwich on whole wheat
- Whole grain cookies
- Baby carrots
- Apple
- Pickles

TIPS
- The pickles are a fun thing to add, but can be messy. I drain them well first so pickle juice doesn’t leak onto the other lunch items. They seem to be fine until lunch time.
- Cut up whole apples for younger kids. (My kids prefer whole apples.)

SOURCES
- Wrap-N-Mat Sandwich reusable wrap and placemat from Amazon
- Reusable zippered pouches from Blue Avocado
- Water bottle from Rubbermaid (ok, but not great)

1 Ann October 14, 2013 at 10:16 am

I was at the market two times this weekend and still forgot to buy bread for sandwiches! Who does that?! The boyz had to take bagel sandwiches today.

2 Jyoti October 14, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I’m loving your Lunch Menu series! I recently started a school lunch blog (www.kidslunchbox.co.uk) over here in the UK, I love your ideas, photography, and the way you set up the image. I have a lot to learn!

3 Brimful October 14, 2013 at 1:08 pm

We love Wrap-n-Mat!! I started using them when my children were in preschool and now even on up into grade school, they have held up so well! I’ve also found they work well for gifts…my adult friends love them :).

4 Molly October 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Have you tried the thermos brand metal thermos with straw for kids they are our favorite! We found ours at Target!

5 Barbara October 15, 2013 at 2:18 am

Not sure about the zippered pouches. Especially not for fruits,it is probably more like fruit juice by lunchtime. For thermos, try the brand SIGG. Durable, easy to use and many cute designs.

6 Maria Martino October 15, 2013 at 7:40 am

We are LOVING these posts!