Lunch Menu #4

October 7, 2013

pasta salad + broccoli

Photo and text by Lindsey Johnson.

This week’s Menu #4 of our Lunchbox Menu Series swaps a sandwich for a pasta salad and loads up on healthy veggies and fruit. I’ve finally discovered the best pasta salad that is full of goodies and easy to adapt to your child’s preferences.

- loaded pasta salad with vinaigrette
- fresh broccoli
- carrot apple sauce
- oatmeal raisin cookies

- Lunch box from IKEA (only available in-store in the US)
- Plastic handled fork and spoon from IKEA
- Reusable zippered pouch from Blue Avocado
- Checkered napkin, thrifted
- Apple carrot crusher from Trader Joe’s

{ 1 trackback }

Just Moms » Blog Archive » Lunch Menu #4
October 7, 2013 at 4:41 pm

1 Emily October 7, 2013 at 9:26 am

Cannot wait to try that pasta salad! I’m a nanny that has to pack her own lunch daily, so I’m absolutely loving this series and hope it continues for a while! Thanks so much, Lindsey!

2 Susan October 7, 2013 at 10:06 am

Target even sells reusable food bags now.

3 Jennifer @ Pitter Patterned October 7, 2013 at 10:35 am

These lunch menus are the best! I’m stashing them away for when I have kids! My mom always took care to pack me a special lunch complete with a little note, I want to try and create that same feeling of being special when I have kids! This is such a perfect way to do that.

4 Brimful Shop October 7, 2013 at 11:06 am

The idea of swapping out a pasta salad for the usual sandwich is one I’ve wanted to try for a LONG time. Alas, my 2nd grader and Kindergartener are not open to anything other than their tried and true PBJs :(. Nonetheless, I may try that salad for myself…this is a fantastic series!

5 Ann October 7, 2013 at 11:19 am

my kids love those crushers from TJs! They bring home the caps so we can recycle them.

6 Margo, Thrift at Home October 7, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I don’t understand the re-usable zippered bag. Its description on amazon says it’s made from PEVA film, which I had to google, but it’s still a petroleum-based plastic of some kind. I just wash out and re-use ziploc bags when I use them.

7 Lindsey Johnson October 8, 2013 at 7:38 am

Margo, great question! I had thought the same thing until I started using them. Of course, reusing the ziploc bags is fine. I prefer these because the plastic is a little stronger and I can wash them over and over. They don’t get holes as easily. Yes, they are a little pricey at first, but I have a friend who claims she’s been using her reusuable bags (a different brand) for over five years!

8 Regina October 7, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I discovered pasta salad earlier this year, and it’s been my go-to dish. I haven’t been so happy with the dressing recipes, and have been using bottled ones. Can’t wait to try out this version! Thanks for sharing!

9 Reagan October 8, 2013 at 1:21 am

Although your ideas are beautiful and healthy, this is not realistic! I don’t know of, and certainly not my own, any children who would eat raw broccoli or pasta salad that has everything touching!!

10 Lindsey Johnson October 8, 2013 at 7:36 am

I totally get that! My older daughter did eat this whole lunch. She is the least picky of my kids, but I would modify it for my younger kids. Maybe I’d swap out the broccoli for baby carrots and leave a few things out of the pasta salad. I do realize most kids are kind of picky. :)