Breakfast in Bed

October 10, 2013

Do you like to have breakfast in bed? A perfect way to start the day at Designmom.com

By Raleigh-Elizabeth. Pretty handmade blanket via Martha, who else?

Growing up, birthdays in our house were met with one, very special regularity: The birthday girl got breakfast in bed. As the most breakfast-averse child in existence, I loved this one treat. Breakfast in bed was a celebration, and it could be anything I wanted. Maybe a piece of festive, leftover pie. Maybe a cheese sandwich and some cocoa. No matter what was on the tray, I knew for certain before I opened my eyes that today was going to special: After all, the day started with breakfast in bed.

As adults, we’ve hung on to breakfast in bed. Before we became a family of three, we looked forward to rainy days where we could bring the newspaper back into the bed for a morning of flannel pajamas, fuzzy socks, and a cozy start to the day. Nowadays, our kidlet loves to snuggle with us in the morning, so we take every opportunity to spend an early Saturday just chatting about baby things with him all cuddled up in our bed… and breakfast by our sides.

As important as dinner at the table is for good family habits, breakfast in bed is the perfect start for a day of happiness.

Because I am evangelical about breakfast in bed, I don’t recommend getting all fussy and gourmet with it. Rather, I suggest starting with what you already love: Whatever your morning routine is, try waking up a few minutes early and savoring it in bed. I guarantee it’s better than hitting the snooze button. Even if all you do is snuggle out of the bed to grab some O.J. and snuggle back in, try it. It will make your day.

Yogurt and oatmeal are particularly bed-friendly, but things that involve crumbs warrant a breakfast-in-bed tray, be advised. These trays are not only useful, but they’re also super fun. We use a pretty silver tray that holds both of our mugs, Hunter’s bottle, and our two breakfast plates. The tray itself we picked up on the cheap at an antique store — I think we paid probably twenty dollars for it in its super tarnished state, but that was nothing a little elbow grease couldn’t fix. Crate and Barrel has a great melamine one, which is nearly as indestructible as ours, and most home stores sell the variety with legs that act like mini-tables. Somehow, I’m prone to knock those over more than a big tray on the covers, but I’m also particularly klutzy. When Hunter gets a little older, I’m going to get a rimmed cookie sheet and let him paint it so that he has his very own, personalized breakfast tray, too. (I figure that’s the most practical way to do it?)

We don’t serve anything special for our breakfasts in bed, since usually, there’s nothing special about our breakfast in bed other than that it’s breakfast, and we’re having it in bed. When we do go all out, Bill loves to make french toast or breakfast tacos (with chorizo, poached eggs, fresh pico, and charred peppers), and I love eating them. In turn, I specialize in filled pancakes and cheese grits (a Southern specialty if there ever were one, but mine are not yet quite as good as my mother’s).

Lately, with Hunter going through some unfathomable sleep regression and us being new parents exhausted by seven p.m., we’ve actually taken to having the occasional dinner picnic in bed, too. It’s nice — because we finally get to stretch out and be cozy — but it has nothing on breakfast. Breakfast in bed is the breakfast of champions — or, it’s at least the breakfast of really happy, calm, champion-dreaming people. (It’s easy to dream you can champion the day when you’re eating your breakfast in bed, after all, because no day can be bad that has breakfast in bed in it.)

By four o’clock in the afternoon, my morning coffee in bed almost seems like a dream. Like it’s impossible to imagine it happening this morning, and it’s completely magical that it might happen again tomorrow. But that coffee? Snuggled back into bed? It’s the best reason to get out of bed in the first place, and the very best reason to get back in.

Do you ever eat breakfast in bed? Would you do it on a regular Thursday, or do you just save it for special occasions?

{ 2 trackbacks }

Fall State of Mind | the bitch corner
October 11, 2013 at 9:25 am
What I’m Reading | a glass of milk
October 22, 2013 at 5:11 am

1 Emily October 10, 2013 at 9:46 am

Oh, this makes me want to curl back up in my bed with some great fuzzy socks and a hot cocoa. It’s so rainy outside today, it would be absolutely perfect.

2 Raleigh-Elizabeth October 10, 2013 at 9:49 am

Yippy! Same here. I don’t know why the formatting is all bonkers though. WordPress, what are you doing to me? Maybe it needs to curl up in bed with something warm to drink too : )

3 Louise October 10, 2013 at 10:04 am

Lovely post but you might want to fix the typo of “fuzzy sucks” in bed!

4 Raleigh-Elizabeth October 10, 2013 at 10:25 am

Ha! I think that’s what my son has when he’s munching on his elephant’s trunk. Thanks for the heads up!

5 Brimful October 10, 2013 at 10:19 am

Several years ago, my husband started bringing coffee me coffee in bed….and it’s become one of my favorite moments in the day! For just those few moments. I can collect my thoughts and mentally play through what’s about to happen…it centers me.

6 Brimful October 10, 2013 at 10:24 am

Eek, something is wonky with the comment field this morning…it didn’t delete my edits :(.

7 Raleigh-Elizabeth October 10, 2013 at 10:26 am

WordPress is having a fun day. But hooray coffee in bed! Your husband is a nice guy : ) Mine makes my coffee as well. Mostly this is because he has to get up at o’dark thirty to get to the base on time, but still. It helps me get up at o’dark thirty with him.

8 Alison @ The Petit Cadeau Blog October 10, 2013 at 10:46 am

I love the idea of celebrating the everyday with breakfast in bed – either together as a family, or on my solo days off for pure relaxation.

I also love the description of your birthday traditions – I always love hearing about celebration traditions, as I feature ideas in my blog and newsletter – thanks so much for sharing!

9 Raleigh-Elizabeth October 10, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Oh I’m so glad you enjoy them! Celebrations are wonderful, aren’t they?

10 Elaine October 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I love the idea of breakfast in bed, but I’m way to clumsy (and my husband to picky) to be able to do it.

11 Raleigh-Elizabeth October 10, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Maybe one day : )

12 meg October 10, 2013 at 12:46 pm

This is such a beautiful idea. My daughter’s birthday is coming up, and I think this would blow her little mind. I also love the idea of decorating a cookie sheet for their very own breakfast in bed trays — brilliant!!

13 Raleigh-Elizabeth October 10, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I’m sure she’ll love it. And I came up with the painted cookie sheet thing on a whim, but I really do think it’ll work, don’t you? And I think they’ll have such fun decorating it. In the end, it’s making me re-think our breakfast tray situation altogether!

14 Martha October 10, 2013 at 12:50 pm

When I was a teenager my sister and I planned to make my mom breakfast in bed for her birthday. We got up in the early morning and started prepping and cooking when my dad wandered in all sleepy eyed and asked what we were up to. We hadn’t bothered to check the clock, it was 2 am. I’ve given up on breakfast in bed since.

15 Raleigh-Elizabeth October 10, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Ha! Y’all definitely take the cake as the most ambitious teenagers around. I can’t find one that gets out of bed before ten!

16 Meggan October 10, 2013 at 1:11 pm

We just had my 6 years old birthday, and his request was snowman pancakes in bed. We do it pretty consistently as a breakfast tradition. I found a wooden tray that was painted blue with lemons and limes on it (!) that I spray painted a lovely deep red, and that was perfect for breakfast in bed. We would also use it for people who were sick and needed a little extra pampering. Unfortunately, someone ran it through the dishwasher and it did not survive. Now I’m on the hunt again. I would love to surprise my husband with breakfast in bed some random morning, he would love that!

17 Raleigh-Elizabeth October 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Happy birthday to your kiddo! I hope he enjoyed his snowman pancakes : ) And I think your husband should surprise you with some breakfast in bed, too!

18 Amy October 10, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I love the IDEA of breakfast in bed, but the actual eating part… with food crumbs on my pillow and sheets. No way. To me, beds are for sleeping, reading and “romantic times”. :-)

19 Raleigh-Elizabeth October 10, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Darling, yogurt and oatmeal were made just for you. And coffee. Truly.

20 The Other Robin October 10, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I love your zeal!!! You have a solution for every objection! You are going to win us all over to the lazy morning nibble!

21 Sarah October 10, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Great post! Breakfast in bed is a huge tradition in my family too. I lived near my grandparents as a very small child and used to get up in the mornings walk down the road in my pyjamas and hop into bed with them! My grandfather would always get up and make tea and toast with homemade jam. Also I remember my father making breakfast in bed for my mum on birthdays and Mother’s Day and the breakfast tray would always have a small vase and flower!
Back before children I was a major breakfast in bedder even on work days! On Friday nights when I would come home exhausted from the week I would some times run a hot bath and eat a bowl of pasta in the bath. Dinner in bath: go there!
As I have a toddler these days breakfast in bed doesn’t happen so often. But that’s ok, as soon as he is old enough I will teach him how to bring his mother a cup of tea in bed!

22 Raleigh-Elizabeth October 10, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I love your story of growing up. And teaching him how to bring his mother a cup of tea is absolutely critical! Hunter has taken to holding on to a mug when we have our coffee — I dream of the day he’ll actually be able to fill it for me : ) Until then, I’ll just be his source of warm milk! I also must confess: I have totally eaten dinner in the bathtub. Most notably, I ate a plate of chicken fingers in the bathtub before my wedding. I was starving (how is it that a bride always socializes so much she doesn’t get a chance to stuff her face?) and I was dying for a bath… so some room service (the chicken fingers looked the most bath-friendly) was my special treat to myself. Honestly, it was one of my favorite moments from that day. Totally luxurious. (Even the chicken fingers. They were really good!)

23 Sarah October 11, 2013 at 6:21 am

Spa hotels should really catch onto this. Pro-collagen deep cleanse facials followed by jacuzzi and chicken fingers. It’s so obvious?!

24 Nicole Newton October 10, 2013 at 3:59 pm

We do breakfast in bed on lazy Saturdays too! I have to admit though, my absolute favorite way to start the day is with breakfast in a hot bubble bath after everyone has left for work or school. A little extra pampering in the morning makes the days of studying and paper writing all the more bearable!

25 Shelly October 10, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I will only take breakfast in bed if I am dying.

26 Natalie James October 10, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Wow.

27 Lisa October 11, 2013 at 12:49 am

My future husband makes me breakfast in bed one weekend day a week, if we’re home together. He and this lovely French toast, bacon and coffee in bed are amazing and such a lovely way to spend a lazy morning with my love.

28 Sonya October 11, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I adore this beautiful breakfast in bed photo! It is the ultimate in cozy. Another simple pleasure is spending a Sunday in bed, a lay-in, reading the paper, having spa time, watching, just relaxing and being cozy.

29 Livesey girl October 11, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Great post. I love breakfast in bed too and snuggle back into bed with cereal quite often. My hubby is not so keen but will have tea and toast if he is in the mood

30 Brigid February 3, 2014 at 9:06 am

Oh I love breakfast in bed too. I think it’s the ultimate happy and energising way to start the day! Breakfast, mug of tea and poring over the newspapers. It gets my brain firing on all cylinders. I can only do it when my husband is out of town though. Sadly, I still haven’t won him over to the idea. I’m so glad you’ve championed the cause.