What to Wear to 9th & 10th Grade

September 16, 2013

What to Wear to 9th & 10th Grade  |  Design Mom

Images and text by Gabrielle.

Are you ready for more What to Wear to School photos? I’ve got a whole bunch for you! Today’s post features Ralph and Maude, our highschoolers. If you can believe it, Ralph was in 3rd grade when we shot our first What to Wear to School photos! I can hardly believe how much time has passed. And I can hardly believe I’ve really been blogging for so long.

Every year, we wonder if it will be the last wardrobe shoots for our oldest kids, but then we conclude it’s so nice to have a yearly record of how they dressed, and how they styled their hair — and they end up using these photos throughout the year for different projects and with their social media accounts. As for myself, I have so few photos of my teenage years. And I know I would get such a kick of looking at my wardrobe choices during high school! So we keep going.

These wardrobes were put together before school started, and I’m curious to see how Maude and Ralph will feel about their choices a few weeks or months in. Will their style evolve with the new school? We shall see!

On Maude:
Cropped Pants by DPAM, Green Layering Tank and Zig Zag Sweater by H&M. Converse Hightops at Zappos.

On Ralph:
Cardigan and Fitted Tee by H&M. Skinny Jeans by Vans. And the Checkerboard Slip-ons are Vans as well!

Note: If you have a son who is in between the boys department and mens department and is having a hard time finding pants that fit, Vans jeans are a lifesaver!

On Ralph:
Sweater by H&M. Brown denim by Vans. Blue Watch by Nixon (He’s had this for ages. We replaced the battery last month and I think it will give us a few more good years!). Socks by J.Crew.

On Maude:
Tiger Tee, Orange Layering Tank and Black Denim from H&M. White Converse at Zappos.

Also, do you like her first electric guitar?! It’s a good size and I love the color.

What to Wear to 9th & 10th Grade  |  Design Mom What to Wear to 9th & 10th Grade  |  Design Mom What to Wear to 9th & 10th Grade  |  Design Mom What to Wear to 9th & 10th Grade  |  Design Mom What to Wear to 9th & 10th Grade  |  Design Mom What to Wear to 9th & 10th Grade  |  Design Mom What to Wear to 9th & 10th Grade  |  Design Mom What to Wear to 9th & 10th Grade  |  Design Mom What to Wear to 9th & 10th Grade  |  Design Mom What to Wear to 9th & 10th Grade  |  Design Mom

On Maude:
Colored Denim by H&M Kids. Sparkle Tank by Old Navy. Denim Jacket from Children’s Place. Sandals from French grocery store, Carrefore.

On Ralph:
Denim Button-Up and Cableknit Sweater by H&M. Blue Vans are hand-me-downs from Ben Blair. You can find similar at Zappos.

On Ralph:
Hoodie Sweater by H&M. California State Flag Tee from Urban Outfitters. Drawstring Shorts by Old Navy. Glasses are Japhy by Warby Parker.

On Maude:
Polkadot Dress and Black Cardigan by H&M. Colorful Socks from The Gap. Pink Belt was already in her wardrobe.

On Maude:
Striped Tee from Old Navy. Denim and Grey Hoodie by H&M. Adidas kicks from Zappos.

On Ralph:
T-shirt by H&M. Khakis by Levis from Khols. Denim Jacket by Esprit. Two-Tone Suede Sneakers are Vans at Zappos.

On Ralph:
Sweater from H&M.

On Maude:
Printed Denim and Blouse by H&M Kids.

——–

I hope you enjoyed this What To Wear to School wardrobe tour! If you have any favorite sources for in-between kids and grown-up sizes, I’d love to hear!

P.S. — Olive & June’s wardrobe post will come later this week.

1 Barchbo September 16, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Love – as usual! Your kids have great style!

It’s interesting to see all of their casual shoe choices. So different from things here in the land of flip-flops!

2 Jocelyn September 16, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Wow, they are getting so grown up! I am loving Ralph’s hair! They both look great and I’m proud of them for being good sports about talking all those photos. Looks like they had a good time with it. Their American wardrobe is definitely different from their French one.

3 Jen September 16, 2013 at 7:34 pm

They look great! Can’t help but wonder how tall they are, as high school is definitely that in-between stage and Maude seems to be able to still wear the youth clothes. I was 5’11″ at age 13, so I had to shop in the “grown up” section far earlier than I wanted to (and this was in the years before stores like H&M).

4 tammy September 16, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Love their outfits!
Ralph is super stylish, compared to other high schoolers I see. Way to be yourself, Ralph!

5 Trisha September 16, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Very cute. My 11 year old boy is wearing small men’s clothes. He is 5’5″ and skinny. I have been loving American Eagle for him. The pants fit great, hold-up well and and a good price. I have also had good luck with Boden’s Johnny B line for him.

6 naomi September 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm

oh my goodness, i cannot believe how big they’ve gotten! it’s so fun to watch them grow and see their style evolve. absolutely love it!

7 Britta September 16, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Love these posts! I think I would die of embarrassment if I had photo documentation of my high school wardrobe.
Does Maude have red in her hair? My husband saw these pictures over my shoulder and swears she is a red head but I see no red. Lol.

8 giulia September 16, 2013 at 8:02 pm

maude looks so much like you! also, that chemistry book, ha! i had that two years ago and i’m not sure i have good memories of that class… good luck to all your kids in school!

9 Micah September 16, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I love the colorful socks and the shoe choices!! Great style …

10 Kirsten September 16, 2013 at 8:05 pm

What cute and stylish teenagers!

11 Jennyalso September 16, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Love the colorful socks!!

12 Jeanne September 16, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Love Maude’s 4th outfit!!!! So love the socks and spots with the shoes! My daughter the same age has a blue guitar too, just acoustic. I have a 9th and 10th grade daughter and son too and my son probably would like some of the stuff your son wore- some nice sweaters and cool shoes. He’s done sweater vests and waistcoat type vests (?) and more button up stuff. He wants to move more away from tshirts and jeans, but still wearing the jeans with stuff- it all works.

13 Jenny September 16, 2013 at 8:41 pm

They look great! I am curious how much influence you still have over their wardrobe. Do your teenagers shop on their own or do you still go with them? I only have littles at home, so I am just curious how things work in other families!

14 Kathy September 16, 2013 at 8:41 pm

What great models you have! Awesome styles.

15 Elizabeth September 16, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Never commented but long time reader;)
I have to just comment that I love the intentional style choices. I am often appalled at what I see high school kids wearing but would love to see my own kids in these great clothes! Good for you, Gabrielle, in encouraging them to be themselves!

16 nicole i September 16, 2013 at 9:19 pm

You should post a “end of the year” style shoot for your high schoolers…Oakland is a far cry from the french countryside when it comes to style…could be a fun project. I love their personal style!

17 Martha September 16, 2013 at 9:23 pm

love these posts! but i’m still waiting for the post entitled, “what this stylish, busy mom of 6 wears on a day to day basis.” even if it’s sweats, i’m sure you style them perfectly, and i would love to see! think about it….

18 Laura September 17, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Love this idea!

19 Shannon September 16, 2013 at 9:27 pm

These photos are fantastic…you’re so right about them being a great keepsake for your kids. Ralph and Maude look like they have an awesome relationship!

The floral denim jeans that Maude is wearing are so cute and remind me of jeans my friends and I wore back in the 80s. Firenze, I think? From the Limited? Something like that. :)

20 jen September 16, 2013 at 10:54 pm

your kids are super stylish. would love to see how their styles evolve by the end of the school year!

21 Kate September 17, 2013 at 4:15 am

I’m sitting here in black skinny jeans and the zig zag jumper that Maude is wearing in the first picture. I’m a mum and 33! Nice to know I’m still down with the kids!!!

22 JCS September 17, 2013 at 5:36 am

Your kids are adorable! Thanks for sharing.

23 Miggy September 17, 2013 at 6:03 am

Maude and Ralph. Ralph and Maude. Growing up so fast.

1. They have great style. 2. I love Maude’s guitar…makes me want to get my own electric axe…why have I never taken the plunge? 3. And I hope movie-loving Ralph takes this as a compliment because that’s how I mean it, but in a couple of those pictures–especially the one of him leaning against the banner in his green hoodie–he totally had an Anthony Michael Hall thing going on. Seriously had to do a double take! And I LOVE AMH and always thought he was cute…so again, compliment. :)

24 JulieO September 17, 2013 at 6:36 am

Great style y’all! And thanks for the tips on the Van’s jeans…my 8 yo nephew is growing so fast that he’s actually wearing a size 14 jeans and probably only for a couple of months before they’re too small. My sister is freaking out just a bit.

25 J September 17, 2013 at 6:59 am

All I can say is that I am SO thankful my kids all wear uniforms to school. I can’t imagine the stress of trying to figure out cute outfits every.single.day. It would add an extra layer of stress to our already overwhelmed lives. That said, my kids really do enjoy their monthly “dress down” days and plan their outfits months ahead. Thanks for the ideas!

26 Janet September 17, 2013 at 7:13 am

Oh my word — those two are adorable! Love their outfits! Also kind of happy that my girl wears a uniform so the big decision is what color polo shirt to wear each day!

27 Megan M. September 17, 2013 at 8:15 am

I love these posts every year. Your whole family has amazing style! I’m positive I would have had a huge crush on Ralph if we’d been in high school together. And wanted to be best friends with Maude! LOL Also, I have GOT to start shopping at H&M.

28 maryann September 17, 2013 at 8:26 am

I love their style! My sibling was a lot older than me so I was by myself in high school. Do they take comfort that they are in the same school? Or is it not cool to be friends with your sib?

I’m curious how much you curate their look? Did they pull these outfits together themselves? Or with some guidance, gentle prodding in certain directions? Also, do you have any clothing “rules” (i.e., no short skirts! no ripped knees!)?

29 Andrea September 17, 2013 at 8:53 am

They are so cool! I’d say cute, but then I sound old. :) (I’m learning from my own kids!)

Maude, thanks for the offbeat, fun look that is oh so cool. My daughter (13) would love every outfit! And in a land of short shorts with uggs, stick straight locks and lots of mascara, it is so good to see a girl dressing hip and doing her own thing! I love it!!!

30 kelly harp September 17, 2013 at 8:54 am

what precious kiddos you have! im not sure whether to call them teens/young people/whatevs! But they’re darling :).
Ps: my fav item is Maude’s Carrefour shoes!

31 Azra September 17, 2013 at 9:26 am

Great styles. They both look very cool.

32 danielle September 17, 2013 at 10:59 am

These kids got style! Especially those sweaters.

33 Mariann Little September 17, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I’ve been following your blog since you first moved to France. I was born in Oakland and went to high school with Tom Hanks, so I was amazed to read that your family was relocating to my home town and that your oldest were attending my alma mater. (My name is actually on a plaque on one of the seats in the new auditorium.) Today, while driving home up Redwood Road, I paused at the intersection of Skyline and Redwood and looked over to see Maude in a group of cross country runners. What a small world it is when you can “meet” a family on a blog and then practically come face-to-face with one of them years later. For the record, she had a big smile on her face and really seemed to be enjoying her afternoon run with the gang! Welcome to my corner of the world.

34 Barb Perez September 17, 2013 at 8:22 pm

They are too stinkin’ cute!! Such fun photos – they both should be in theatre! And, for the record, Maude looks just like you!! A spitting image, as they say!!

35 Stoich91 September 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I’m in college and I take style tips from all of your kids! :) Best wishes to you and your fab gang. The stage where you actually care what you wear to school (at least for me) does not last forever! :D haha

36 Kerry September 18, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Love the pics. I have a question. How do you get boys to wear things that are more stylish and not plastered with dc comics logos? My 1st grader is very particular. He doesn’t like pants that are too baggy, he only likes Tshirts with random sayings or characters on them and he wears his reeboks every day. I try to buy him more stylish things, but he won’t wear them. I guess I can’t make him wear anything and he’s exploring his personal style, blah blah…but man…