Weather

September 25, 2013

waterfall

By Gabrielle. Photo by Ben Blair.

Sometimes, it feels like the weather reports are all about incessant rains, extreme draughts, wildfires, and tornados. Crazy weather also seems to dominate pretty much every conversation I have these days! (Or am I just reaching that age where weather is fascinating?!) And usually, these aren’t tame discussions about “Gosh, it sure is a hot one today!” Nope. Depending on the crowd, you might hear about global warming, weather whiplash, fossilized carbon, overzealous meteorologists, and even Doomsday predictions.

Do you talk about the weather? What’s your personal opinion on extreme weather? Do you think it’s always been there, but we’re just more aware of it now? Or do you see distinct changes, and feel like you understand the whys behind them? I’d love to know… because I am reaching that age where weather is fascinating! I’ll admit it!

P.S. — We have a teeny tiny stream in that runs through our backyard. It’s really just a trickle, but I love it — the sound of the running water is so soothing! First thing in the morning, I like to go out to the balcony off of our bedroom and listen to that water. Last weekend, Oakland had it’s first rain of the season and Ben Blair instagrammed the image above — our tiny stream was a river!

1 Tiffany September 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm

We live in Minnesota, home of extreme weather, so it is very much a topic of conversation. When I lived in Texas and Florida we never talked weather (except when a hurricane was headed our way!) but now we not only talk about it, we also check it, several times a day, because we never know what the day will bring. And as a mom, dressing kids for all types of weather is a fun challenge!

2 Julia September 26, 2013 at 6:52 am

(I hope you don’t mind me replying!) We live in Minnesota too, and I agree weather is a huge topic of conversation!

3 Micheline September 25, 2013 at 1:19 pm

One thing I know for sure is that I do not believe in global warming caused by man the way the environmentalists want us to believe! It’s a myth, a scam to make money by scaring people.

4 Franca Bollo September 25, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Micheline,
I’m honestly curious to know what you base your opinion on. Please elucidate. Do you think it’s an international conspiracy? Do you reject science? I don’t know many rich environmentalist so I’m not sure whose making a profit.

5 Jeanette September 25, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I, too, am facinated by extreme weather. I noticed this summer was pretty humid and we had several thunder/lightening storms, which we are pretty rare where I live. For whatever reason we are seeing an increase in this extreme weather, it’s important for us to prepare ourselves in case of an emergency.

One of my favorite sites to check out is: http://www.earthweek.com/, a diary of the planet!

6 Sally from Little Hiccups September 25, 2013 at 2:26 pm

That rain on Saturday wasn’t just the first rain of the season, it was the first decent rain all year that I can remember. I was so excited when I checked the weather forecast and saw a little rain cloud. My husband didn’t believe that it would actually rain, but then it came pouring down. My whole family sat and watched the rain out of our lounge room window for such a long time :)

7 jill (mrs chaos) September 25, 2013 at 3:45 pm

We don’t have a stream, but our pool fountain is the best sound. (Besides an actual stream, of course.) ;-)

8 Kim September 25, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Living in Austin, the weather is in almost every conversation. We are usually talking about the drought and how much we wish it would rain. And then there are those who, once it finally rains, complain about it (grrr). I am and really always have been, fascinated by the weather. It is amazing what God can do with the weather and I love it.

9 susan September 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm

When I find myself talking about the weather, I feel its a personal cue to up my conversational game. I find I only blather on about the weather when I don’t know someone well or have nothing else to say. So when I find myself doing weather speak its my cue to ask better find out questions to the person I’m conversing with.

But I’m a dedicated forecast follower because I believe in dressing appropriately for the weather!

10 Tasha September 25, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Running water is the most relaxing sound ever! We have a Koi pond and some rocks with mini waterfalls in our yard and with the window open it is lovely to sleep to:) If I’m lucky on a weekend morning with the sun just right, the reflective ripples dance across my room’s ceiling and it is bliss ♥

11 i September 25, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I’m in North Jersey and, as you very familiar with local climate, we used to talk about the weather only when it affected our commute: i.e. ice or snow storm in the winter. But we REALLY started to talk about the extreme weather just after Irene + Sandy + northeastern happened here in the last couple of years. After living in the area for 15 years, this is the first time I’m actually considered purchasing generator for our house.

I hope it’s ok to ask you this.. but I was wondering if you guys thought about the possibility of the extreme earthquake when deciding to move into the area affected by the fault lines and especially that it’s said to be due for the major earthquake in the near future?

The reason I’m also asking this is because we have just visited west coast and were in owe of how beautiful it is and the weather and people and we even thought of real possibility of moving our family there, but decided against it after learning about the geology and location of the region.

12 Cathryn September 25, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I’m British…we all talk about the weather ALL THE TIME. It’s a national past-time!!

13 Angi September 25, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I love the weather–watching it, checking the forecast (several times a day), watching the radar, and watching the storms roll in while hanging out on my front porch. I think my interest (obsession?) stems from growing up on farm in rural Ohio. The weather meant everything and could make or break the year. Now, I live in a major metro area and the weather has a much lesser impact on my daily life.

Side note: as a child, I was TERRIFIED of even small thunderstorms, now I can’t wait for one to arrive.

14 Elaine September 25, 2013 at 7:36 pm

People talk about the weather here in Southern California all the time, especially during a heat wave, Santa Ana winds, “cold” snap, wildfires, etc. Even though there certainly isn’t extreme weather here, people tend to talk about whether it’s doing what it’s supposed to or not (whether that means 85 degrees in February or 60 in July, both out of the norm).

Also, to the commenter above: I can’t speak for Gabby, but as for earthquakes, they happen all the time; we just don’t notice the majority of them, and the others are small enough not to worry about. Major earthquakes are in the back of our minds, but CA has very strict earthquake building codes to minimize damage and collapses — that’s not to say our buildings are invincible obviously, but it does offer peace of mind because the buildings are quake-resistant. Plus, CA is such a big place with so many remote areas that odds are, the next major quake won’t be centered in your neighborhood. Wildfires, though…THOSE we are scared of.

15 Teresa September 25, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Hey Gabby, you might want to change your Welcome blurb as you are no longer in the French countryside. :)

Love seeing your treehouse posts! BTW, a friend of mine lives up the coast from you on Hwy 1 in a little town called Gualala. She calls her home a treehouse too.

16 Zoe - SlowMama September 25, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I have to admit, I’ve been obsessed with weather since… forever. Maybe it comes from growing up in a place where people live their lives by the weather all the time. I check the weather forecast where ever I’m going and I’m intrigued and scared by extreme weather. I say you’re in good company if you’re becoming fascinated by weather now :-)

17 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay September 26, 2013 at 2:37 am

It is a conversation starter here in Minnesota.

I love weather and follow my favorite weather blog The Updraft Blog. Brought to you by Minnesota Public Radio!

As for global warming. Minnesota is changing. It is a fact. Plants, animals and insects all shifting here.

18 Viva September 26, 2013 at 5:24 am

I love flipping through the weather in all the cities where loved ones are on my iPhone – weather gives you a tiny glimpse into what someone’s day is like and what they will be encountering. No question there are frightening changes that I hope we all feel connected enough to tackle together.
and p.s. I love your blog, it is such a gentle but inspiring space.

19 Courtney L. September 26, 2013 at 6:56 am

A few years ago we lived in the Philippines and we never talked about the weather (unless there was a typhoon), it was always hot and humid, or hot and rainy. We just left Finland after living there for two years and we talked about the weather all the time! Some places just don’t give you that much to talk about weather-wise.

20 Jessica @ Little Nesting Doll September 26, 2013 at 12:52 pm

We have a little frog pond with a fountain in our backyard, and I love the sound of it. In regards to weather, we discuss it frequently at my house…I always tell my husband he should have been a meteorologist because he gets pretty obsessed with the Doppler when storms are incoming. :)

21 Lori September 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Weather is often a topic here in Oklahoma. As conservative as our state is, no one here seems to cast much doubt that weather patterns are changing. We’ve had more powerful tornadoes, hotter summers, and stronger winter storms. Weather is definitely impacting our lives. I’ll never forget that I was married on a day it was 111 degrees in a month long string of blistering hot days!

22 Emily Foley September 26, 2013 at 1:22 pm

A few years ago I was walking through Home Depot tying to find something for my dad for his birthday. I saw this funny digital thermometer that you hang outside and the receiver is inside the house and it saves all sorts of information (hottest and coldest temp of the day, etc.). I knew I had to get it for him and he loved it. He has since upgraded to a fancier one and it even tells him the temp of different cities. When I visit I don’t just get the local weather report from my dad, but also the weather report of every city we have family in. It’s hilarious!

23 bdaiss September 26, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Oh, yes. Weather fascinates me. But please, we need to stop calling it global warming. If you must, try Global Weirding. The true, more accurate term, is climate change. Some places will become warmer, some hotter, some wetter, some dryer. I am sorry Micheline believes the environmentalists are trying to pull one over on an unsuspecting public. It’s also sad how it’s become such a political “fight”. In many ways it reminds me of religion and politics: it’s only the extremes (and the nut-so’s) that get the press.

And yes – extreme events have always been here. In some ways we ARE more aware thanks to the constant massive social media/news cycle. But they are also becoming more frequent. I hope your friends in Colorado are safe and sound and dry from the massive rain event a few weeks ago. I was in Boulder yesterday and the damage is breath taking. Our Rocky Mountain operation is closed for the year. Some friends of mine have friends who likely won’t be able to get to their house by road for possibly 2 years!