Tiny Treasure: Reinventing the Heel

September 4, 2013

barefeet

By Koseli. Image via Brown Dress With White Dots.

Ew, summer feet. Cracked, chapped, dry and slightly dirty. (Like a dirty that takes more than a quick scrub.) As summer winds down and we start thinking about jeans and ankle boots, a little foot TLC probably isn’t a bad idea. If you’re looking for an at-home treatment, I love Reinventing the Heel by Origins. Have you tried it? It’s pretty amazing. It’s a heavy cream rich with rose fruit, jojoba oils, and shea butter. It also smells like menthol so your feet feel super springy and cool after application. It works like magic.

Do you have any pretty-feet-tricks? Favorite home remedies you’ve pinned on Pinterest? Inexpensive products you use to recreate a spa experience at home?

P.S. — Gabrielle swears by Mom’s Stuff for an all natural foot salve. Have you tried it? For more tiny treasures, click here!

1 Angela September 4, 2013 at 7:54 am

The Ped Egg! (Or actually, a generic version I found at TJ Maxx.) A good soak in the tub, and then a little filing and I don’t even need a lotion anymore.

2 Summer September 4, 2013 at 8:20 am

I’m notorious about my feet – ped egg, then callus shaver (you know, just the razor blade on the handle that’s outlawed at pedi places now? It’s my favorite thing ever), and next up, I’m trying baby foot. Have you heard of this? I’m slightly scared. It sheds a layer of your skin. After that, I’m going to give that origins lotion a try (after it’s healed – pun! – and stuff).

3 susan September 4, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I’m with Gabrielle on the Mom’s Stuff! I’ll file my heels with a Dr. Scholl’s file, shower, and then afterward slather on some Mom’s Stuff and slip on some socks for a bit. My heels have fared well this summer with this routine.

4 gillian September 4, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Kerasal (http://kerasal.com/) is the best thing I have ever used. It came recommended to me by a guy in the Marine Corps when I lived in California. Works like a charm!

5 Shelley September 4, 2013 at 3:27 pm

The product that changed my chronically dry, cracked heels forever is Rocky Mountain Soap Company’s “Foot Butter” . It comes in a stick (for easy application), smells amazingly fresh, and is 100% natural (70.9% organic). Truly epic!

6 Susie September 4, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I use a pumice stone in the shower. I love it so much I posted a how-to on my blog-

7 Barchbo September 5, 2013 at 8:37 am

I use a pumice stone and the ped egg, but my best tip I got from an interview I read with celebrity dermatologist Dr. Pat Wexler. She recommended a product called SolarOil for dry, cracked heels. It’s really for nails but it is AMAZING on my feet.

8 Catriona September 5, 2013 at 9:42 am

I use a gentle pumice file and Flexitol Heel Balm. It is BRILLIANT!

9 Grace September 5, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Honestly, all I do is use a pumice stone and lather my feet in Jergens and wear socks directly afterwards (usually overnight). I do this everyday during the summer since 9/10 I’m wearing sandals every chance I get! Works like a charm.

10 Tasha September 5, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Wasn’t it once discussed here about a product that covered the entire foot and after a while peeled off revealing baby soft feet? A Japanese remedy? I remember thinking I HAVE to get that!
And, yes, summer feet need more love – I am barefoot for 3 months lol!!!
Nothing feels better than running though grass barefoot, but I end up climbing rocks and hills with all the kids!

11 Tasha September 5, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Found it!!!
“Baby Foot” from Japan
Here’s a link:

12 Amy September 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Baby Foot is now offered in the US and is amazing!!!! http://www.babyfoot.com. I love it. My dead skin peeled right off of my feet.

13 Traci September 8, 2013 at 9:07 am

After a recent discussion with friends about home vs salon pedis I realized that my friends were not using those sandpaper files to their best benefit. For the file to work the best my feet need to be at the perfect balance of softened from the shower, yet dry enough for friction to work. After my shower I towel dry my feet and then use the paddle filer on them. It takes a couple of strokes for the friction to kick in and then the skin just starts to roll up and fall off my feet like eraser shavings. Most of my friends were using these paddles in the shower, and finding poor results. I find the same to be true of pumice stones. I need a dry, but moist foot for the tool to do its job.