The Cookie Jar

September 19, 2013

do you keep a cookie jar on your counter?

By Raleigh-Elizabeth. Image from the Russian Discover Wedding.

When I was little (and, okay, still) the answer to that famous question — who stole the cookies from the cookie jar? — was always me. I did it. I stole the cookies from the cookie jar. Sometimes I stole all the cookies. Sometimes I stole all but one. Sometimes, like today, I wonder if cookies are the answer to all of life problems, because there is little that can’t be made better if it includes a nice cookie. Call it a biscuit, a wafer, a Girl Scout perfection, a piece of melty chocolate that makes you grin just thinking about it… but cookies in a cookie jar are a wonderful thing.

For some reason, now that I’m a grown-up with my own home, I don’t keep a cookie jar on the counter. Do you? I’m not sure if its absence is because I made some conscious decision about bugs one day after a particularly disturbing visitation by representatives of the local wildlife, or if the counter space just got eaten up by appliances, or if I just sort of forgot, but either way, I realize I need to bring it back. What is childhood without a cookie jar for sneaking?

My step-mom always used to keep an old ceramic cookie jar hidden in the far reaches of the kitchen counter filled to the brim with fruit newtons. I remember racing into the kitchen as soon as someone stepped out of the room to crane my arm in and fish around for a good flavor (which, at that point, was never fig). The cookie jar was the first thing I inspected when I got home from school and the last thing I paid attention to on my way off to bed. The cookie jar was my first introduction to independence in the kitchen, however monitored it was.  The cookie jar was a magical thing.

I think maybe half the reason we aren’t in possession of a cookie jar is that they’re sadly hard to come by these days. In our health conscious culture, cookie jars seem to be a thing of everyone’s past. I think it’s time to bring them back.

Super cute cookie jars for your kitchen!

These jars would be so cute on a kitchen counter. Clockwise from top left: fabulous little Kremlin cookie jars, a vintage Little Red Riding Hood jar that is reminiscent of Hummel figurines, the classic black and white checkerboard from Mackenzie Childs, and a little owl from Anthro.

Tell me: Do you keep a cookie jar on your counter? Did you have one growing up?

1 Sara September 19, 2013 at 7:32 am

My grandma (who is in her early eighties) still keeps a cookie jar on her counter, full of homemade cookies. It’s the best thing ever.

2 Raleigh-Elizabeth September 19, 2013 at 7:33 am

Yay! Full of homemade cookies! Man, I really need to step it up.

3 Sarah September 19, 2013 at 7:36 am

No offense to cookie jars, but how do you keep things fresh in there? Maybe a Ziploc bag inside the jar? Perhaps the extra layer of security would be a good thing!

4 Raleigh-Elizabeth September 19, 2013 at 7:37 am

I agree in theory, but most cookie jars either have a silicone or cork seal which does a good job warding off pests and stale-making air!

5 Andrea September 19, 2013 at 8:04 am

I’m on a quest for the perfect cookie jar, too–and these are all lovely options! Thanks:)

6 Raleigh-Elizabeth September 19, 2013 at 9:01 am

YAY!

7 KookieForCoookie September 19, 2013 at 8:17 am

Such nostalgia! Makes me want to storm out of my office and shout: “I’m done for the day*! I’m leaving to find the perfect cookie jar available in my town (more nostalgia since I’m turning a blind eye to the Internet) and bake cookies all day long. In fact, even into the night.”

You’ve inspired me; thanks for a wonderful post. And before I begin my quest, do tell: do you keep separate cookie jars for the gooey cookies versus the crispy, snap-like cookies?

*It’s 10:14am now; our offices officially open at 9am; I usually work 11 hrs days so I’m really throwing off the shackels.

8 Raleigh-Elizabeth September 19, 2013 at 9:02 am

That’s probably a good idea, but really, could you go wrong with more than one cookie jar in general? Cookies forever!

9 Alice September 19, 2013 at 8:47 am

We had a lion-shaped cookie jar in the kitchen when I was growing up…but it was empty. It took a long time for me to realize that cookie jars were supposed to contain cookies. I eventually started using the cookie jar to hide my own stash of treats from our pantry so my siblings wouldn’t have eaten all of them without me.

10 Raleigh-Elizabeth September 19, 2013 at 9:02 am

Brillig.

11 Corrie Anne September 19, 2013 at 10:08 am

We definitely have a cookie jar although there’s only ever cookies in it during the weekend. In our house we do Cookie Fridays, and my husband usually has eaten them all by Monday!

12 Raleigh-Elizabeth September 19, 2013 at 11:18 am

that sounds delicious. (lucky him!)

13 Kristin September 19, 2013 at 10:09 am

We had a cookie jar growing up and my mom regularly kept it stocked with homemade cookies (probably every week). I have three little kids now and also have a cookie jar. I don’t bake as often as she did, but I do try to fill it up about twice a month. Cookies stay fresh in there for about 3 or 4 days. I guess it could theoretically be longer, but they are always gone by then, so I don’t know!

14 Heather September 19, 2013 at 10:24 am

My grandmother had a big ceramic jar that always had big, soft molasses cookies in them, and sometimes–very special–mint milanos. It has never occured to me to have one in my own house, but now I think my mother and mother in law should get on it for the grandkids.

I did recently buy a breadbox, which feels both practical and old fashioned, and now my girls love to make their own toast.

15 Claire (@Kurea_San) September 19, 2013 at 11:17 am

The thing with Cookie Jars is that you have to fill them with delicious cookies…. and then they have to be eaten!! nom nom. Not such a bad problem really ;)

16 Mary M September 19, 2013 at 11:32 am

Last Christmas my son asked for, and received, a cookie jar from his grandma. It was his favorite gift (okay tied with the kindle). About once a month he spends his own money and gets a pack of cookies to put in it, and insists on helping bake cookies to be able to store some in there as well. Super cute.

17 Marlo September 19, 2013 at 11:49 am

I was given that owl cookie jar by a friend when I moved to our new home on “Snowy Owl Lane” but it arrived smashed to bits. So she bought me another from west elm. Neither have a silicone seal & my cookies are very stale. So we don’t use it at all.

18 Ann September 19, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I have a vintage, depression glass, cookie jar with a red lid that will hold about 1/2 a dozen cookies or biscuits. It is rare that I make cookies so it only comes out at those times. For the holidays, I have a snowman cookie jar that looks vintage. It’s red hat is the handle. It is very cute and doesn’t hold many cookies either. I usually end up placing the pretty cookies on a tray for the grabbing. I broke my best friend’s, grandmother’s, cookie jar once when I was 17. I felt horrible! I replaced it with one that was very similar but not an exact match.

19 The Other Robin September 19, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I have an Elsie the Cow cookie jar that belonged to my sister’s mother-in law. She was a great person and treated me like family. Once I found out how very collectible it was, I offered to return it to the “blood relatives”. They insisted I keep it, so now I get a warm feeling every time I see it on the counter. It’s far too precious to me for little hands, so there is also a glass canister cookie jar for actually cookie stealing! Cookie enthusiasts can see what’s in it before taking the lid off. It works out just fine!

20 Jennifer September 19, 2013 at 7:13 pm

This made me smile today and now I want a beautiful cookie! My grandma had a chocolate chip jar. You could go get handfuls. She’d use them to make beautiful fudge!

21 Catherine September 19, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Growing up we had a Pfaltzgraff cookie jar that usually just sat on the counter, hollow but during Christmastime my mama would make ginger snaps to go inside! She always wanted a certain Shawnee Puss and Boots kitty cookie jar to match her mama’s creamer. Well one day, while at a flee market in Savannah, I saw. Like a diamond in the rough, needle in the haystack. For a hot minute, I think I stole the title of Favorite Child. Now it just sits on the refridgerator at my parent’s house. Oh well!

22 Erin September 20, 2013 at 7:48 am

The reason I don’t have a cookie jar (that owl jar would be so cute!)? No will power. I would always steal from the cookie jar! Cookies are my weakness.

I *know* I am having a bad day when the urge to bake cookies washes over me. Sometimes I realize this only as I am adding the butter and vanilla to the mixer! Ha!

23 SuperCutePetContest September 23, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I do not have a cookie jar. If I did, it would be perpetually empty and I’d have to add miles to my daily run. I am unable to resist a cookie!