Sketchbooks

September 12, 2013

40_miachristopher49 40_miachristopher37 40_miachristopher42

By Koseli. Sketchbooks by Mia Christopher. Discovered via Emmadime.

I grew up watching my oldest brother draw — he always always had a pen and notebook in-hand and if I was lucky, he would draw something for me during church services. A picture of me in my bulky bifocal glasses, my favorite blankie, a mystical creature. Now I’m married to a designer and wherever he goes, he carries a notebook. It’s like second nature for me to double check that we have his notebook when we’ll be on the subway, flying, or sitting in a pew. It’s an extension and an outlet.

Do you use a writer’s notebook or sketchbook? Or are you print-free and use your smart phone to record moments and thoughts?

1 Jill September 12, 2013 at 8:49 am

I love the digital sketchbook, paper and sketchbook pro on my iPad. I never thought they would replace paper for me (and they still haven’t completely) but for trips and quick sketches it is so convenient!

2 Koseli Cummings September 12, 2013 at 11:55 am

We have Paper on our iPad too—wow, it is amazing. My husband doodled in church to keep our son preoccupied and ended up creating the most adorable collection of pictures of animals. I want to print it and have it as a book!

3 kirsten bischoff September 12, 2013 at 9:56 am

I just hired an illustrator for my ebook. I have a new found appreciation for what goes into art like that. I also feel blessed to have a kid who, may not love to read/write the way I do, but is never without a sketchpad.

PS I love your brothers drawings – especially the fighting rats! There needs to be a really good middle grade book written around that picture!

4 Koseli Cummings September 12, 2013 at 11:57 am

Congrats on your book! Do you have a link?

I’m so endeared to kids who carry around sketchbooks. It really seems like they’re ahead of their time by always carrying something to do. And it’s so educational for them to draw and create.

PS I love his art too! He’s a fantasy and sci fi illustrator who’s done a ton of game cards, book covers, paintings, etc. Whenever I see something scary or weird/cool/fantasy, I think how much my brother would love it. :)

5 Shannon { A Mom's Year } September 12, 2013 at 12:07 pm

This made me smile because on the way to school this morning, my 12-year-old said, “I forgot my sketchbook!” She draws and writes all day long, and she’s fortunate that her teachers don’t mind–as long as they know she’s listening! I’m sure she’ll be doodling away on any scraps of paper she can find today. :)

6 ann September 12, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I wish I sketched more. I really enjoy it. I have lots of sketchbooks and they end up with lists of things to do and quotes from my kids.

7 1canoe2 September 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I’m afraid my preference is going extinct, but to me there’s nothing better than a nice stream of ink on a thick piece of paper. I wouldn’t go anywhere without my sketchbook!

8 Angie Sz September 13, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I always have a Moleskine sketchbook in my purse – I sketch when I have a free moment – waiting at dr.s office, at the kids baseball game or at the pool, beach. I now have a collection of them over the past few years and they have become the visual diaries of my life…