Catherine Walsh

September 11, 2013

By Gabrielle. Photos by Emily Weiss.

Airports and the internet are my favorite spots to people watch, but only the latter is entirely creepy-free when you stare and take mental style notes for minutes on end! I’m afraid I would startle Catherine Walsh with my awe over her effortless beauty. Red lips as uniform, day and night, and silver hair as stunning accessory. Bold but entirely simple. Natural, yet amped up a few notches. A stand-out in any crowd without seeming to have tried too hard to stand out.

For those of us who try to achieve this in real life, we know it’s super complicated to appear uncomplicated, right?! And yet, Catherine gives us hope.┬áHere are a few of her basics:

The idea that beauty is going to save the world. (I feel the same way about design. And mothers!) That the biggest luxury in the world right now is to be anonymous. (Imagine Googling your name only to find nothing! Kind of glorious.) No matter how much you put on top of your skin, it is all about diet and discipline. Cetaphil. Fresh Sugar Face Polish. Remember to apply fragrance to moist skin and don’t rub it in. Facials monthly. Matte red lips always.

Are you inspired by her style like I am? (Kelly green wedges are now on my wish list.) Tell me: Who are you mooning over these days?

1 Christy@SweetandSavoring September 12, 2013 at 5:10 am

She is quite striking and this post reminds me how unsatisfied I’ve been with my look lately- mostly my hair- and shoes! :) I’ve never been one for makeup, but who knows, maybe that’s just what I need to brighten things up right now! Thanks Gabrielle :)

2 Amy September 12, 2013 at 7:29 am

Yay for older women! I am in my early 50s, and let me tell you, even though stylish, attractive, and rockin’ older women abound in real life, they are totally underrepresented in the media. Thanks for shining your light on such a great example of simple elegance.

3 Azra September 12, 2013 at 7:43 am

She is bold and beautiful. Funny thing about Nivea… makes me nostalgic.

4 Amy September 12, 2013 at 7:45 am

Oh my goodness! I LOVE HER HAIR
I just let my hair go natural….grey. I’m still getting used to it, but I have hope to look like that!

5 Margaret September 12, 2013 at 8:00 am

I’m with Amy — her hair is the absolute best. (And those shoes!) I’ll consider myself lucky if I can age half so well. In a similar vein, I just discovered Linda Rodin and am obsessed with her style: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=linda%20rodin. So dang chic, I can’t even.

6 Kimberly September 12, 2013 at 8:12 am

I am mooning over anyone who has found their perfect red lipstick. I tried today and … yeesh.

7 Gia September 12, 2013 at 8:24 am

I am constantly drooling over and admiring the stunning women on the Advanced Style blog. I keep feeling like I’m getting older and am so inspired by the courage and color of the women featured. It helps me look forward to aging and eliminates some of the fear.

8 Val September 12, 2013 at 9:14 am

Wow! What a truly beautiful woman! I love how fresh and amazingly confident she is… from the age of 16! The article on Catherine was a delightful read. Thanks for sharing!

9 Zoe - SlowMama September 12, 2013 at 9:51 am

What a great piece to read — no wonder you are gaga for her! And I love all her great tips, especially now that I am inching my way towards 50. I think I must agree with her (and you) about what and who will change the world, since my favorite people to interview are artists/creatives, entrepreneurs, and moms.

Oh, and I so want a monthly facial!

10 kim @ DESIGN + LIFE + KIDS September 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm

She’s totally gorgeous. Simple beauty at it’s finest

11 Dominique September 12, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Like Amy, I am in my early 50s too and women our age and older are totally unrepresented in the media, in catalogs, magazines, etc. It’s kind of depressing. We still have it and we rock it. Thanks for this great post.

12 Abby September 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm

KERRY WASHINGTON! She is the epitome of a graceful, confident woman who carries herself with respect. And then there’s Scandal. Then I’m doubly obsessed. It’s bad. It’s really bad.

13 Yvonne September 13, 2013 at 10:35 am

Like her I’ve been mostly grey since my 20′s – in my 40′s now and I have long wavy hair – can’t say how much I LOVE this piece – grey hair rocks! When I’m out it never fails that someone stops to tell me how much they like my hair – let it go ladies – grey is GREAT! Gonna go grab some Nivea – great tip!! Thanks Gabrielle!!

14 Petra September 13, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Wow, she is gorgeous and inspiring. I always admire women who have the courage and confidence to go grey. I’m blonde, don’t color my hair and haven’t begun to grey, but I’m not sure I would have the confidence to carry it off. In my southern town where big, colored hair and lots of make-up are the norm, there are a couple of women I see (with young children) who stand out to me because they have embraced going grey and amazingly they seem so fresh – doesn’t that seem contradictory? But I think it is all to do with going with their look with confidence. At my yoga class yesterday evening was a woman who was trying yoga for the first time – in her 80′s. I was so in awe of her: chic white hair, white top, pants in a sand and white pattern, and short, bright pink nails. Doing yoga as though she has always done it. She probably didn’t need to all these years.

15 lyndsay // coco cake land September 19, 2013 at 8:38 am

oh that is a completely cool and gorgeous older woman – ! i always said i wanted to have a short angular haircut and super crazy glasses when i got to be a silver haired older woman. i started getting little silver hair rascals when i turned 30 – still contemplating at what point i will stop plucking them out…