A Few Things

September 27, 2013

thonet chairs

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends. How are you? Are you ready for the weekend? I feel like school weeks have a tendency to fly by! We are a month into the school year already and I can hardly believe it. Our big plans for the weekend? House projects! I’m going to do more flooring research — specifically, I’m thinking about carpet options in the little lofts. More on that next week. And we’re also thinking about taking down that three-quarter wall in the kitchen! But we haven’t done a similar type of demolition before, so we’re kind of nervous. We’ll see what happens. We may decide to do something a little more predictable, like pull up carpet. : ) Join me on Instagram if you’d like to follow along.

While I stare down the kitchen wall, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:

- Dying laughing about this Castle/NYC real estate comparison. Thanks, Ben Blair.

- And speaking of castles, Landmark Trust lets you rent out historic British castles and forts for the night. Thanks, Petra.

Light pollution.

- And if you can find a dark sky, All About Constellations (for your kids).

- I’m craving a moto jacket. I love the trend, but they’re so pricey! If money was no object, I’d pick this one. But maybe I can save up for this one. (Or this longer version is on sale!)

- The perfect DIY school bag.

- George Saunders’ advice to graduates is really good. Loved reading this! Thanks, Amy.

- A neutral and navy nursery.

- This is interesting. A new site called Biggest Price Drop, lets you know what items from your favorite stores have been discounted in the last 2 days.

- An inspiring kickstarter for critically ill children from a famous children’s book author.

- A gnome-themed birthday party? That’s a new-to-me theme! Check it out.

- Feel good story: A cancelled wedding that fed the homeless. Thanks, Amy.

- Like many Americans, the healthcare system is on my mind. This video has me thinking about it in different ways.

- The cutest, cutest, cutest duetThanks, Carter.

I hope you have a marvelous fall weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — I found the antique Thonet Chairs (pictured above) at Book/Shop in Temescal Alley. We bought 8 for our dining table. Fun fact: I’d always heard the name pronounced “Tho-nay”, but I was informed it was actually “Ton-net”. I love little bits of trivia like that!

{ 1 trackback }

Common Interior Design Mispronunciations | ModFruGal
October 2, 2013 at 10:37 am

1 Karen September 27, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Love those chairs! Will you be adding cushions? Your house project needs to be an HGTV show!!!

2 annie September 27, 2013 at 3:55 pm

congrats on the chairs – nice find – and that burberry coat is beautiful – if wishes were calf-hair leather jackets, we’d all have a wonderful fall (aside from the cows).

3 jane September 27, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Those chairs are a beaut! Glad you scored them!

Also, and this is the grammar Nazi in me speaking up: it’s lets in both instances you use the word. Let’s is a contraction of let us (as in let us go somewhere). In this case, you’re just using the third person singular conjugation of the verb to let. As in it gives you the ability to do something.

4 Karin September 27, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Oh family demolition — brings back memories for me, actually! some good, some not so! but I can give tips. Make sure you tape off the area — oh the dust! And garbage cans are good for hauling out debri. But two siblings and one garbage can is a lesson in diplomacy equal to Iran and Pakistan at the UN!

BTW — have you been looking into FLOR tiles at all? we’ve become huge fans at our house, both of Interface’s dedicated green mission and of the many varieties of tile they offer. oh! the infinite possibilities!

5 Sheila September 29, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Yes, you might want to look into it. We have been looking into Flor tiles also (http://www.flor.com/). The variety and possibilities just amaze me. We are thinking of using it in one of our bedrooms.

6 Bea September 28, 2013 at 7:24 am

Hi! Long time reader, first time commenter and three-quarter kitchen wall sympathizer. I just wanted to write and say that 3 years ago I moved into a house with a three-quarter wall separating the kitchen, from another home with a three-quarter wall separating the kitchen. Sigh. In our first house we couldn’t demo the whole wall because it was load bearing and well beyond our diy skillset, so instead we just cut out a huge hole and made a window with a bar on both sides of the cut-out. It was fantastic.

In our new house, the wall already had a pass through, but I set my sites on its demise the moment we moved in. The wall drove me crazy. Fast forward 3 years: We ripped out the carpet in the dining area/family room of our house, which is adjacent to the kitchen, and also ripped out the yucky flooring in the kitchen (so 70s) and replaced it all with hardwood. During this time I knew that I had to make a decision about “the wall” knowing that the best time to tear it down was before our nice, new wood floors went in. I couldn’t do it. I don’t know why but it had grown on me. Instead of tearing it down, I painting it a darker shade of green (other walls in kitchen/dining/family room were light green) and I sort of love it. In the future, I may cover the whole wall with glass tiles, or hang wall paper panels on it. I’ve decided to look at it as an ever-evolving art installation, a world of possibilities, instead of my ever-present nemesis. I guess you could say I’m a convert.

This comment is far too long as is, but I was thinking that maybe you should sit on that wall problem for a while. My knee-jerk reaction in both instances we also “tear it down!” But maybe there’s some interesting solution just waiting to present itself?

Good look with your weekend projects and I LOVE your treehouse. It’s truly a gem.
B

7 Bea September 28, 2013 at 7:46 am

Phew, the typos. Should’ve finished that first cup of coffee (and maybe proof-read my comment) before hitting that submit button.

8 Tasha September 28, 2013 at 9:34 am

I heard about the family who donated their wedding event to the homeless. What a wonderful act of kindness and humanity. I am humbled.

9 Elle September 28, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I wish you were in NYC to enjoy this on a this beautiful weekend!

10 Elle September 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm
11 Adrienne Conner September 28, 2013 at 11:41 pm

The Father/Daughter Duet video was just fantastic! Thank you for sharing it!

12 cath September 29, 2013 at 12:39 am

The healthcare system video is really fascinating. I couldn’t listen to it until the end because it wouldn’t work (I’m not in the US) but I’ve always thought that -university costs in the US were outrageous and given the number of years you have to study to become a doctor, the salary you finally get has to be high enough to make up for it.
In my country, which you know well, med school starts right after highschool and is …almost free. Sure the salaries are lower than in the US (you can’t become a millionaire, no matter how great you are) but they are really good.
-If you give such high salaries, you have to charge more for procedures.
Last time my American besty was here, she had a bike accident, was sent to the ER, was given Xrays, stiches, meds and what not. They sent the bill over to the US a couple of months later, and it was laughably cheap.
-i’ll be going to NYC to visit her at the end of October, with my 8-year-old and if something happens to us (accident or appendicitis) we’re getting out of there asap, I do not want to end up paying a fortune for a medical act that would be free in my country. I’d end up paying back for the rest of my life otherwise, not worth it!
US healthcare has to change!

13 Megan September 29, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I also have a 3/4 wall in our house..It’s one of my favorite features and really tells the Mid-century modern story. The previous owner didn’t think much of it, he had installed cabinets that went above it so the backs were visible from the living room. After we fixed that, it just looks so great. We still haven’t decided what color to paint it, but it’s really a great architectural feature. My advice would be to live with it for awhile. I also like the idea of a pass-through. It wouldn’t work for us because of the way our kitchen is configured, but a house up the street from us has one and it’s great. Get yourselves some back issues of Atomic Ranch and see what others have done with this feature–I’m sure you’ll find yourself loving it!

14 Mrs. LIAYF October 1, 2013 at 10:10 am

Gaby – Thank you for posting the fascinating article on light pollution.

We live in a very urban area, so rarely have the opportunity to observe the night sky as it should be. However, we live in the Pacific Northwest and our yard faces west and looks out over a bay, so the view from our backyard is a bit darker. A few years ago we had the amazing experience of observing the aurora borealis from our backyard! And, our son could even look out his bedroom window at the stars and moon. When he was 4 years old we traveled to a distant beach campsite when our son was 4 years old and watching the pleiades meteor shower – amazing!!

Last year our backyard neighbors installed blinding lights above their garage – they are so bright that when you look out our son’s bedroom window you are nearly blinded. So, he can’t look out his window and the stars and the moon anymore. And, when we visited that beach campsite last year we discovered they had built a restaurant on a hill for the beachgoers – with a blinding parking lot light. So, no more star watching there either. Sigh.

15 Hairyshoefairy October 1, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Interesting video about the health care situation. Thanks for sharing it. I would offer one correction, though. The physicians aren’t the ones who decide what to charge a patient; the insurance companies dictate that. I know of some procedures that doctors actually lose money on because the insurance companies don’t pay enough to cover the actual costs and the doctor can’t do anything about it. I think, perhaps, that’s why some doctors are now foregoing insurance altogether and working directly with patients. Just a few more things to consider.