Women Reading

August 13, 2013

women reading 5

By Koseli. Images via Women Reading.

After perusing my favorite book blog for a book recommendation, I came across a new favorite Tumblr: Women Reading. I love the mix of modern photos alongside victorian-era paintings and etchings.

women reading 1 women reading 4

Are you a bookworm, too? I’m on the hunt for a new book to read for late summer. The last few books I’ve read I’ve loved — The Night Circus, The Fault in Our Stars, and an old issue of McSweeney’s short stories. I’d love to hear your recommendations and maybe we can all find a new book to read!

1 Lauren McGregor August 13, 2013 at 11:12 am

I follow that wonderful Tumblr! And those are great reads. I highly recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton, and The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

2 Koseli Cummings August 13, 2013 at 11:15 am

I love the Potato Peel Pie Society, Lauren! It’s so, so good. I’m excited for The Forgotten Garden and The Snow Child. Putting them on hold at the library right now. :)

3 danielle August 14, 2013 at 1:40 pm

The Snow Child is wondrous! Will check out the others you mentioned.

4 Isabel Kallman August 13, 2013 at 11:15 am

I, too, highly recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Rules of Civility and also Where’d You Go, Bernadette (which is a very fast-paced and fun read).

5 Julie R August 13, 2013 at 11:16 am

love that tumblr. i’m such a bookworm as well! some recent reads that I’ve loved: Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, Zero Waste Home by Bea Johnson, The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley, Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Fowler. if you want a good chuckle and a fun mystery, read Alan Bradley’s Flavia de Luce series – hilarious!

6 Sandra August 13, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Loved Life after Life! I’m going to read it again.

7 mattie August 13, 2013 at 11:39 am

i just finished The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin. LOVED it. it’s just so good.

8 Jen August 13, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Yes. A must read. Also Some Kind of Fairy Tale was good and The Good House.

9 Alice August 13, 2013 at 11:43 am

You should read The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith (who is actually JK Rowling!). I love the fact that it was written under a pseudonym and I’m enoying reading it a lot :)

10 Koseli Cummings August 15, 2013 at 10:41 am

Yes, I’m a huge Potter fan and have been dying to read The Cuckoo’s Calling. Thanks for reminding me!

11 Erica August 13, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Yes, I love books. I wished I could join a book club for people who want to get through the classics because they are very hard for me to read (most of them).

I have a huge list of books I plan on reading

simplyonelove.com

12 Jane August 13, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I read “A Tree Grows In Brooklyn” this summer and loved it. I missed the characters when it was over!

I mostly read non-fiction and just finished “The Seamstress”, an amazing story of survival during the Holocaust.

Doing some parallel reading with the kids: 1984, The Giver, Unwind.

I want to dive into a series my daughter started: Maisie Dobbs

“Gifts from the Sea” is one of my favorites and would be good to reread at this time.

13 danielle August 14, 2013 at 1:42 pm

The Giver! So good!

14 Koseli Cummings August 15, 2013 at 10:42 am

So good! Gathering Blue was also good but couldn’t touch The Giver. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn will be a forever favorite, Jane.

15 Kristen N. August 13, 2013 at 1:40 pm

If you’re looking for a light read that will make you laugh out loud, try Lost in Suburbia by Tracy Beckerman.

The Zoo Keepers Wife by Diane Ackerman is excellent too.

16 Ginger J. August 13, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Be on the lookout for ALL THE TRUTH THAT’S IN ME by Julie Berry. It comes out in September and is a gorgeously written young adult book. I was lucky enough to read an ARC last month. So, so good.

On a different bent, I’ve been reading some Rafael Sabatini. A little swashbuckling is a fine addition to anyone’s day!

17 Viorica August 13, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I am reading Hunting and Gathering by Anna Gavalda right now, a French author, I am really enjoying it.
I have read some other wonderful books this summer such as Wild by Cheryl Strayed, The Forty Rules of Love by Elif Shafak, The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert and Married Love by Tessa Hadley.

18 samantha hahn August 13, 2013 at 3:05 pm

love that tumblr!

19 Koseli Cummings August 15, 2013 at 10:42 am

It’s new to me but yes, a refreshingly positive Tumblr. :)

20 Sandra August 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I just finished the Interestings by Meg Wolitzer. It’s about a group of friends who meet at camp in the 1970′s and then follows them as they grow up.

21 Colleen August 13, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I’ve been reading all summer and the best book I have read lately is Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin. It is so unique and I couldn’t believe the author is only 25!

22 Koseli Cummings August 15, 2013 at 10:43 am

People that do amazing things like write amazing books by 25 kind of make me sick (very happy/impressed/in awe). Pretty sure I was unemployed at 25? :)

23 Koseli Cummings August 13, 2013 at 4:15 pm

This is an amazing list, everyone! Thank you for chiming in. Design Mom readers are bookworms. :)

24 Grace August 13, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I’d recommend “Where’d You Go Bernadette?” by Maria Semple. It’s quirky, funny, and human. Also “And the Mountains Echoed” by Khaled Hosseini as well as “The Ocean at the End of the Lane” by Neil Gaiman, which is probably my favorite summer read thus far.

25 Kery August 13, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I love to read but especially during the summer months when I have more time. Some books I would like to recommend are “The Paris Wife” by Paula McClain, “Dark Places” by Gillian Flynn, “A Place at the Table” by Susan Rebecca White and “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee. I did not want any of these books to end…

26 Regina August 13, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Ooh, The Paris Wife has been on my list for quite some time now. I should get to it right away! Totally loved To Kill A Mockingbird too. I appreciate it a lot more now that I did in my high school required reading days :)

27 Koseli Cummings August 15, 2013 at 10:45 am

Lots of recs for The Paris Wife. I’m going to read it!

Mockingbird—who doesn’t love? So so good. That courtroom scene was one of the most moving, eye-opening chapters I’d ever read up until age 15. Really affected me.

28 Karen August 28, 2013 at 9:05 am

I read To Kill a Mockingbird a couple of summers ago (for the first time!) and it instantly became my favorite book of all time. It’s a perfect summer read.

29 Jennifer August 13, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I just finished “Code Name Verity” by Elizabeth Wein. It was intense, but I couldn’t put it down. I’ve also recrntly enjoyed “My Berlin Kitchen”, a foodie memoir with recipes.

30 rachelle August 13, 2013 at 9:13 pm

oh, i want to chime in too!!! My book of the year is A Constellation of Vital Phenomena – the debut novel of the insanely talented Anthony Marra- I was completely enamored, engrossed and devastated by this great book and am so happy we have this major new talent on the lit scene. Like another poster, I also enjoyed “Wild” by Cheryl Strayed but I would even more highly recommend “Tiny Beautiful Things” by Strayed as well, since it’s stayed with me a longer time and I pick it up and refer to it at times just for good, solid and often profound life advice. HAPPY READING!

31 Emily Musso August 13, 2013 at 9:54 pm

My favorite summer read–Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. It takes place over one summer, opening with the first summer sunrise and ending with the sunset. I love it. While much of Bradbury is high science fiction this one is not, and much of it is rumored to be taken from bits of his own life. Check it out–my bet is you won’t be sorry :)

32 Koseli Cummings August 15, 2013 at 10:45 am

Me too, me too! Oh, I read that the first time when I was in fifth or sixth grade. It was my mom’s copy and was well-worn and loved. It deeply affected me. Thanks so much for the reminder.

33 valerie August 13, 2013 at 10:03 pm

“The Soldier’s Wife” by Joanna Trollope is the best book I’ve read recently.

34 Regina August 13, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Thank you for sharing the Tumblr! Whenever I purchase postcards or bookmarks after visiting a museum, I’m always drawn to the ones with women (or kids) reading :)

Some books that I read and enjoyed this year are The Confidant by Helene Gremillon and The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig. I also recommend The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series (Book 1 is Shadow of the Wind and it’s soooo good, especially if you like historical fiction and mystery). From last year, my favorite book was Wonder by RJ Palacio. And I know I’m late to the Jane Austen party, but I loved Pride and Prejudice! Finished it a couple of months ago! Which Jane Austen novel should I pick up next?

35 Andrea August 14, 2013 at 6:35 am

Persuasion!!! It ties with Pride and Prejudice for me! I loved Shadow of the Wind as well!

36 Catherine August 14, 2013 at 3:00 am

I too am a bookworm and have just returned from a 2 holiday where I amanged to read 6 books – bliss!

The best 2 books I’ve read over the past few months:-
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn – great contemporary thriller.
Death is my trade by Robert Merle (La Mort est mon metier) – about WW2

My all-time fav is Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

Thank you for this post!

37 Ann August 14, 2013 at 7:14 am

I just finished Bootstraper by Mardi Jo Link. A great summer read. It’s a memoir of a Mom raising three boys on her cherished farm.

38 KelliO August 14, 2013 at 9:40 am

Whenever I think of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, I also remember The Future Homemaker’s of America. Probably only because they’re similar time periods. Love them both!

39 Koseli Cummings August 15, 2013 at 10:46 am

Hadn’t heard of Future Homemaker’s of America. Thanks for the tip, Kelli!

40 Des August 14, 2013 at 9:46 am

Keep in mind, I do love a good melancholy type story. I don’t need happy, warm fuzzies all the time. ;)
“The Snow Child” (someone else has mentioned) I let out a big *sigh* when it was over. Very satisfying.

I’m a sucker for a good moral dilemma and “The Light between Oceans” delivers. Wow. It’s by M.L. Stedman. I could not put it down.

I just finished “The Kitchen House” by Kathleen Grissom. Well written and researched. I loved it.
All 3 of these would be excellent book club selections, as there is lots to talk about!

41 Koseli Cummings August 15, 2013 at 10:48 am

Me too, Des. I crave a good solid cry or cathartic heavy book. I read In Human Bondage while I deciding whether or not to keep pursuing my dream of working in the book publishing industry—heavy times. My husband was like, Girl, you have the weight of the world on your shoulders. I literally did. :) But it feels so good to just get down there real deep and feel it.

42 Christina August 14, 2013 at 11:59 am

Kristin Lavransdatter (trilogy than won Nobel Prize for Lit in late 1920s) and Gunnar’s Daughter by Sigrid Undset. Both amazing, second one is a fast, dark read. Undset nails the psychology of the characters like no other!

Left Neglected and Still Alice – both by Lisa Genova.

43 Koseli Cummings August 14, 2013 at 12:01 pm

…and the amazing recommendations just keep rolling in. You guys! I am so excited. I have like 20 books on hold at my local library. This is treasure trove of book recommendations. Thank you so much!

44 danielle August 14, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I’m currently reading Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell and do not want it to end.

45 Carter Higgins August 14, 2013 at 6:26 pm

LOVE.

Also, Koseli, Danielle has killer taste. She told me to read Okay For Now by Gary Schmidt and whoa. You’ll pick it up and read the description and you might be like – ehh – but it is hope and tough and a sweeping story.

46 Koseli Cummings August 15, 2013 at 10:49 am

Oh, thank you Carter! I trust you without question on anything related to books.

47 Ashley August 14, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Definitely love “Man’s Search for Meaning” by Victor Frankl and for another timely classic – The Great Gatsby! But for fabulous life lessons, “Daring Greatly” by Brene Brown. xx

48 Carter Higgins August 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm

And! Koseli! I am thrilled for this list, too. It’s been a while since I read something that hasn’t been for kids! Yay, bookworms!

49 Mina August 14, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I feel like you’ve “read my mind”! Punt intended. : ) But, seriously, I’ve been thinking about finding a good book to read too! So, I’m so glad you’ve shared that link of book recommendations. I’ll be checking it out. : )

50 Beth C. August 14, 2013 at 10:40 pm

One of the best I’ve read lately is The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. Amazing story, so unique. Dreams and Shadows by C. Robert Cargill is also good, though on the darker side. Another is In the Shadow of the Banyan by Vaddey Ratner – amazing.

51 dervla @ the curator August 15, 2013 at 9:38 am

I didn’t read other comments (although my book collection is going to blow up after i do) but you have to add The Paris Wife and The Cuckoo’s Calling to your list. I’m in the middle of Lev Grossman’s second book in The Magician series which is totally exciting too (it’s a grown up version of Narnia).

52 Koseli Cummings August 15, 2013 at 10:48 am

Oh, thank you Dervla! I’ll have to check those out.

53 Grania August 15, 2013 at 10:11 am

I just read all the time – if the kids and work let me – mainly in the U-Bahn (Metro) on the way to work in Hamburg/Germany. Just finished J. Courtney Sullivan’s Maine, but also have just recently discovered books by Douglas Kennedy (The big picture, Leaving the World, the moment) etc. , also love contemporary thrillers for instance by the Husband and Wife team Nicci French, like their new Frieda Klein series etc. etc. etc. …..

54 Koseli Cummings August 15, 2013 at 10:41 am

You are all so wonderful! I honestly am overwhelmed with happiness by this list. I could have books to read for the next year. I trust your recommendations wholeheartedly. Thank you so, so much. xo

55 CS June 14, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Can we have the attribution for the painting of the girl reading, please.