Sisters

August 20, 2013

sisters_6

By Koseli. Images via The Drifter and the Gypsy by photographer Masha Mel.

I just returned from a week-long trip to visit family out West. Minus some road trip food poisoning and a summer cold swooping in at the tail end of the trip, it was a perfect trip. I see my parents and siblings only once or twice a year so the occasion rings of warm rekindling and extra fervent loving. Every late night conversation, stolen hug, and witty tease means so much more because I know, I know, that these are the only moments we’ll have for months to come. This trip was extra special as one of my older sisters, Shirsti, and I are both expecting, she a girl and me another boy — and due only two weeks apart in November. Can you believe that? We have experienced our pregnancies in tandem via texting and apps, but is there really a replacement for seeing someone you love in the flesh?

Do you have a sister — or lucky you — even more than one sister? Do you think your life would have been different had you not had sisters? (Or had sisters?) I am so lucky to have three exceptional sisters by blood, and three sister-in-laws by love. They enrich and beautify my life. (And make me laugh harder than anybody else in the world.)

1 Robin @ our semi organic life August 20, 2013 at 9:24 am

I have always thought it’d be nice to have a sister – although know clue how different that would have made me. I have none, not even a sister in law. Maybe one of my brothers or brothers in law will one day get married. Long way off I think…

2 Shannon { A Mom's Year } August 20, 2013 at 9:57 am

It’s funny…I just have a younger brother, so I’ve had to grow my own “sisters” through friendship. But my husband really wanted Lexie to have a younger sister because he knew how close his mom has always been to her sister.

It sounds like you have a big, wonderful family. :)

3 Koseli Cummings August 20, 2013 at 10:26 am

I’m so glad you mentioned growing your own “sisters” through friendship. My mistake for neglecting to mention that. I absolutely think friends can be sisters.

4 Joslynn August 20, 2013 at 10:37 am

Aw, yes! 3 wonderful sisters :)
And if I didn’t have sisters I know I would be in a very different place. As the youngest of 4 girls I have followed and looked up to my sisters in all aspects of my life– little and big! The college I attended, the clothes I wear, the music I listen to, the books I read, my interests and hobbies… They reflect the person I would like to become. And that person is a lot like my sweet sisters.

5 Koseli Cummings August 20, 2013 at 10:42 am

I feel the same way and include you in the “look up to” category even though you’re the baby of the family. Absolutely almost everything I like is because you or Sasha or Shirsti liked it first. There’s no doubt I’d be a completely different person without my sisters’ influence.

Thanks so much, Jossi. :)

6 Sasha mari August 20, 2013 at 10:37 am

Koseli you are such an angel in appearance and heart. I love you and am so very thankful to be your eldest sister but also thankful to be ever learning from your quiet wisdom. Love you so.

7 Koseli Cummings August 20, 2013 at 10:52 am

Love you too, Sash. Thanks so much for commenting. I remembered this morning how you used to hold our hands every where we went in public—even when you were far too old for that to be cool. It made me tear up a little. You’ve always been so proud and protective of your 3 younger sisters.

8 Joy August 20, 2013 at 10:48 am

I have two older sisters and we are very close in age. Not only that, but until I was twelve, my mom was a single mom raising us. Needless to say, our bond is incredibly strong, and I was absolutely shaped by our sisterhood. Further, my mom became best friends with another woman when she was pregnant with me, and the other woman already had two little girls my sisters’ age and was pregnant with her third. So these two strong single moms raised their 3 daughters each, but as they worked and put themselves through school they shared child-rearing duties, so the 6 of us were basically raised as sisters. Our sisterhood was–and still is, 30 years later–a beautiful gift to each one of us.

9 Koseli Cummings August 20, 2013 at 10:53 am

Wow. Joy. That is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. Your mother sounds amazing.

10 MaryC August 20, 2013 at 11:44 am

Oh, this post made me homesick. I have 6 sisters (I’m right in the middle of 7 girls!) and they are all unique and funny and great people. We’re all spread across the country, but his summer we got to spend several days with all of my sisters and their families, minus one who was in the middle of a cross-country move. It was such a sweet visit.

How fun to be pregnant with your sister! One of my favorite memories as an adult with my sisters was at one of my little sister’s weddings, 5 of us all sat down to nurse our babies ranging in age from newborn to 18 months or so. It was quite a sight!

11 Grace | Yummy Baby Gifts August 20, 2013 at 11:58 am

I have only one sister who is 4 years younger and we were really close. I would look for her advice on everything. Her thoughts were so important to me. She passed away in Feb 2012 from breast cancer at age of 35. I miss her tremendously and no one can ever replace her. I lover her so much, I know our bond and love never dies… I know we will meet again. Enjoy your sisters, you are very lucky to ave so many. ❤

12 Koseli Cummings August 21, 2013 at 8:24 am

Love to you. Your sister sounds like an amazing person!

13 Miggy August 20, 2013 at 1:26 pm

This post makes me so happy as I’m expecting my 3rd daughter in Dec. I am SO excited to be the mother of 3 girls …I think it’s a special bond that I’m excited to watch unfold.

14 giulia August 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm

i really wish i had a sister but i have three little brothers, ha!
i’m sure your little kids will be such good cousins
also, these pictures are amazing!

15 Koseli Cummings August 21, 2013 at 8:26 am

I’m excited about that, Giulia! It’s rare to have little cousins so close in age. Aren’t these pictures amazing? I love them.

16 Shirsti August 20, 2013 at 2:00 pm

That was so sweet. Every day I miss my sisters and am so grateful for them and for my family!!! But having sisters…. that really is a special, special bond:)

17 Koseli Cummings August 21, 2013 at 8:25 am

I love you!

18 Carter Higgins August 20, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Love this! I have a sister! And a slew of girl cousins who may as well be sisters. Sob. So dear.

19 Jenni Bailey August 20, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I always, always wanted a sister. The closest I had was a female cousin who lived four hours away and I didn’t see her often enough to forge a sisterly bond. I am so grateful that my two daughters have each other and I remind them constantly how lucky they are. So far they actually seem to agree. I’ll check back in ten years and see if they still feel the same way. ;) My fingers are crossed.

20 Angie August 20, 2013 at 5:55 pm

What a perfectly timed post!! As the youngest sister of three, I wouldn’t trade my sisters for anything!

And today we found out my little girl will also have a little sister to grow up with!! There’s nothing better than a bunch of sisters.

21 Koseli Cummings August 21, 2013 at 8:27 am

Oh, that’s so sweet. Yay!

22 Tamara August 20, 2013 at 6:14 pm

This breaks my heart. My 13 year old daughter tells me every day how different her life would be if only she had a sister, but the store is now closed and she’s stuck with a little brother. They’re 20 months apart and don’t seem to like each other very much.

I guess I take my own two sisters for granted. I love them dearly but we’re not super, super close because we’re all different in so many ways. We had so much fun growing up and I guess I didn’t think that through too well when we were deciding whether or not to have a third (and didn’t).

I hold out hope that one day she and her brother will be closer and that she’ll eventually gain a wonderful sister via his marriage.

23 Mom of boys plus one girl August 20, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I’m with you…breaks my heart as well. Love my sisters…tried to give my daughter a sister but got several boys instead. Hate reading how vital sisters are because it fills me with guilt. Not that there was much I could do about it!

24 Karen August 25, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I don’t have a sister but it’s not something I regret or ever wished for. In fact, I had always wished for an *older* brother. I have a younger brother and we were not all that close when we were kids but as adults, he was my best and closest friend. (He passed away this past spring and I miss him every day.) I hope you can find a way to not have your heart broken because your family doesn’t look like someone else’s. Sisters and brothers can have close, special bonds as well. I know. I had one.

25 Tennesseecassie August 20, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Yay for sisters!! I have three and am so very close to each of them! We all shape each other and I love to see the different influences they have in different areas of my life.

26 Zoe - SlowMama August 20, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I have six sisters! And I am the eldest. They are the best and I would choose them as friends. Like you, I only get to see them once a year (or less with a few of them since we are spread around the continent). How awesome to be going through pregnancy with your sister!

27 Alexis August 20, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I LOVED reading this and all the comments! I have four daughters 2,5,7,9. I pray they are always close in spirit and provide strength for each other.

28 Koseli Cummings August 21, 2013 at 8:27 am

SO sweet, right? Your girls are so lucky to have each other.

29 Angela August 21, 2013 at 12:12 am

I too just got back from spending a week with my family. All four of my sisters and their children were there. We also get together only about once a year, and it makes the time together so tender and special. I cannot even imagine what my life would have been like without my sisters! Did we fight growing up? Absolutely! But they are now my best friends and biggest supporters. I can’t wait until our next visit. Thanks to grandma turning 90, I will get to see them all again in just two short months for grandma’s party. ;)

30 Koseli Cummings August 21, 2013 at 8:24 am

These comments are so sweet. I hope your sisters are reading them. :)

31 Jeanette August 21, 2013 at 2:22 pm

My sister and I are sandwiched in the middle of four boys. I couldn’t imagine my life without her. She is my best friend and confidant. I am also blessed with two other “sisters”. They are actually two of my closest cousins. When the four of us get together, there is an over-abundance of giggles, teasing, and bossing each other around. I love them all!

32 Megan M. August 21, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I have three sisters, one older and two younger. I love them all so much but don’t feel like we are super “close” due to our age differences (all 5+ years between us) our personalities and the circumstances of our growing up. However, I know I can always turn to them for support and have tried my best to be there for them as well. I have two girls who are three years apart and although they do fight (what sisters don’t?) it warms my heart to see them in their closer moments. I want them to have each other to lean on as they grow up.

33 Adrienne August 23, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I have two older sisters who were close when we were younger since they were closer in age, but I made my own sisters in the friends around me. Now that we’re older I have the ones I’ve chosen over the years, but also my sisters with whom I’ve grown so close. They’re the best women I know and I’m so lucky that they’re forced to be with me FOREVER!

34 lyndsay // coco cake land August 27, 2013 at 11:42 am

love this post, gabrielle… i am so blessed to have two amazing older sisters whom i adore and am very close with… and the best part is all of our kiddies get to party and hang out together (six kids under six, so far…) ^__^