Matching Mates

August 14, 2013

By Gabrielle.

How adorable is this couple? They just seem to fit together, don’t they? From their neon flair to their exuberance, they’re a pretty pair.

Do you and your mate match? I mean, do you get ready for a party and suddenly realize on your way out the door that you’re dressed similarly? There have been times when the only different color in my and Ben Blair’s outfits is the red of my lipstick! And in France, I noticed that couples often matched, maybe because everyone’s wardrobes were comprised of the same muted color layers and scarves!

Or, on the flip side, are you attracted to your complete style opposite? Since our move to the Bay area, I’ve seen stylish couples everywhere I look. But style here seems to be an individual undertaking, unrelated for the most part to what a person’s partner is wearing. Is that true where you live, too? I’d love to hear some funny tales that begin with “Wait. You two are together?!

1 sarah August 14, 2013 at 9:47 am

my husband and i usually coordinate, and by coordinate, i say, i think i’ll wear purple tonight on our date, and he will throw on a purple checked shirt, or i will say, we are all going to be grays and blues in church tomorrow. i just like a well dressed couple that doesn’t clash when they’re together. i’m love getting our whole family dressed alike in a sense….and thankfully my hubby and i have very similar tastes in dressing.

2 Stella August 14, 2013 at 10:01 am

My husband always waits ’til the last second to pick the tie he is going to wear to church, so that he can coordinate with whatever I’m wearing. I thought he’d stop doing it soon after we got married, but he’s still doing it a year and a half later. I think it’s endearing and sweet :) but otherwise we just do our own thing.

3 Lisette Wolter-McKinley August 14, 2013 at 10:01 am

We tend to coordinate for church and freestyle the rest of the week. I am fortunate to have a stylish husband, so I always feel I need to take it up a notch to keep up with him.

4 ginger August 14, 2013 at 10:06 am

Just the other day I said to my husband….”who are going with dressed like that, because it sure isn’t me.”

5 Megan August 14, 2013 at 10:11 am

My husband and I have been accidentally matching since we met in HS! We always ended up in white tees and cargos on the same days back then… Now, our 3 year old ends up in the mix too an we usually end up all in grey or red tees and denim.

6 Connie August 14, 2013 at 10:13 am

On a given work day, my husband and I don’t really ‘match’ mostly because 4 out of 5 days a week I’m in formal office clothing and his job as a youth pastor is more of a ‘jeans and a tee shirt’ vibe. When getting ready to go out, my husband will usually give me ‘dibs’ on a color: he’ll ask, “What are you planning to wear?” and I’ll let him know what I’m thinking. What I can glean from his choices is that he doesn’t want us to be totally matching (he jokes that we’re too young for matching track suits), nor does he want us to totally, utterly clash (because I tend to take photos of us when we’re gussied up). I am not as concerned about it as he is, but I’m more of the bohemian free-spirit than he is. :)

7 Hannah Q August 14, 2013 at 10:42 am

My husband and I are often color coordinated unintentionally, but it’s most likely because I buy all of our clothes!

8 Beth August 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

On our first date, I knew we were just going berry picking and playing games, so I picked out jeans and a tshirt that accentuated my features. My future husband showed up in jeans that had gaping holes in the knees (not in a designer, ripped to perfection sort or way) and an old Subway shirt that he had bought at a thrift store years before. Luckily, he cares slightly more about his appearance, but with the many arrivals of children in our home I care slightly less, and we usually look perfectly suburban together.

9 Lana Cole August 14, 2013 at 10:56 am

My husband and I match so much we even look similar. We were asked on countless occasions if we were siblings or twins (!!) when we were dating. Conversations always started with, “Did anyone ever tell you you guys look alike?” Yes. All the time. It went so far as a couple in our ward had a joke that we were from Arkansas and had obviously married a cousin. :/

10 JennT August 14, 2013 at 12:13 pm

When we met, my husband wore Eddie Bauer and I had purple hair. To say we clashed is an understatement. We kept our relationship a secret from all but our closest friends at church (singles ward!). After we were engaged, we had several people ask us if we were pulling a prank! Guess we didn’t seem like a match, but 15 years later we’re still ‘clashing.’

11 Jen August 14, 2013 at 12:16 pm

This isn’t the funny story you’re looking for, but a couple of years ago my husband and I were shopping at a Trader Joe’s. He was checking out and I’d run to the back of the store to get something we forgot. I hurried up to the register and threw it in the cart. Neither of us even looked at each other–he was bagging and I started rummaging through my purse for my wallet or something–and the checker looked up at me questioningly, like I was trying to sneak something the cart in for this guy to pay for. Then she relaxed and said, “Oh, you guys go together. I can’t always tell when people do that if they’re together or not, but you guys are a pair.” :)

12 Jane August 14, 2013 at 1:22 pm

We tend to wear matching outfits, but quite by accident. We also look a bit alike, so much so that when we first started dating (I was a freshman in college & he was a junior), people asked him for his sister’s phone number. That was 12 years ago.

13 KelliO August 14, 2013 at 2:11 pm

One summer I dated a guy who worked in a corporate environment while I worked at a plant nursery. By the time we had gotten home, changed, and were out together at night, we were flip-flopped. I dressed up since I was grungy at work and he was in shorts and a t-shirt. I didn’t care, I was comfortable, but he would always notice.

I’m the photo instigator, so I also notice when we don’t match so well. I think our wardrobes are opposite color schemes right now, and we could use a little mroe blending.

14 Jess. August 14, 2013 at 2:13 pm

The sweetest compliment my husband and I ever got was that we “rhyme.” We don’t [always] coordinate our dress, but our looks (and, I think, our souls) go nicely together.

15 Megan M. August 14, 2013 at 2:48 pm

My husband and I are both jeans and T-shirt people, but my husband is way more particular about how an outfit “looks” than I am. He thinks it’s weird to wear dark jeans with a dark shirt. I just think HE’S weird. :)

16 Jessica Doll August 14, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Sometimes we accidentally match, but our styles are a bit different. When it comes to events or parties or dressing up, I always pick our outfits.

17 Zoe - SlowMama August 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Wow, I had no idea so many people coordinate outfits with their mates! It never really occurred to me. There have been occasions where my husband and I match, but it’s always by accident. He tends to be more casual; I aim for dressier. He’s a bit more hipster; I like some drama. But I think we usually look like a good (and interesting) pair :-)

18 Kate August 14, 2013 at 8:27 pm

We complement each other when going out – especially when it’s to events where there will probably be photos.

Most of the time we are similar in our style but very divergent in our color choices.

Who I end up accidentally matching with all the time are my kids!

19 Mina August 14, 2013 at 9:12 pm

We never do it on purpose, but, yeah. Sometimes, we’ll get ready to go out somewhere and we’ll be wearing either the same colors or the same color pants and same color shirt. I think it’s cute though! : )

20 Summer August 15, 2013 at 12:51 am

It’s not unusual for us to end up matching. We do look like siblings (i got asked if he was my brother a lot while we were dating), so because of our coloring we look good in similar colors and tend to wear those a lot. It’s really funny on the days that he leaves to work before I even wake up, so I have no idea what he’s wearing, and when he comes home we discover that we’ve been dressed similar all day.

21 teresa August 15, 2013 at 8:34 am

My guy and I have been married for so long…I think we are starting to look like each other…Does that count? =) haha
We rarely match…I think we are just like a really good sofa and chair…different but we go together.
Happy Day

22 Amy Beam August 15, 2013 at 10:01 am

Never! My husband changes if we are matching by accident. Although we look good in the same color palate so it can happen. It is funny because we have taken family photos and we often coordinate just because our clothes look good together, but don’t really match.

23 Val August 15, 2013 at 10:43 am

What a fun post! I love when you can tell a couple is together by their general vibe/character. We NEVER match — my guy is a handsome bearded lumberjack type while I don’t often stray from my uniform of colourful retro dresses, but people do say that we “click.” :)

24 Lauren August 15, 2013 at 1:54 pm

My husband and I will accidentally match clothes occasionally. Then we try to decide if someone should change, or if we should just go with it! I also have a habit of dressing my two year old son in the exact same colors as I am wearing without realizing it- I guess when I’m in the mood for red, I’m really in the mood for red!

25 Chloe August 15, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I got a good laugh from this photo – take a look at the guy to the right with the Grover t-shirt on – he’s and his shirt are another matching mates pair! So funny.

26 Pinon Coffee August 18, 2013 at 7:14 pm

My husband and I went to a small college, but we didn’t start dating until after graduation. Nobody saw it coming. I hear when the college president heard we were getting married, his reaction was, “She’s marrying OUR [husband's name]?!?!” :-)

My husband tends towards either a suit or jeans and a neutral top – white, gray, blue stripes, ummm… darker gray – whereas he describes my color philosophy as green one day, then blue, then Attack of the Pink. But we’re rubbing off on each other – sometimes I wear a neutral. And he has a red shirt he even wears voluntarily sometimes. Oh, and we both have too many Avengers t-shirts.

27 Anna Kirsen September 7, 2013 at 1:06 am

I am just pleased if I manage to get my husband out the house with a clean shave and no food down the front of his shirt. By the time he get’s back 9 times out of ten there is a food dollop or red wine stain. Anyone know where I can get ‘man bibs’!
Anna@BohaGlass