The Cutest Lunchboxes

August 5, 2013

The Cutest Back to School Stuff for Preschoolers

This post brought to you by My Sweet Muffin — stockists of gifts for babies and toddlers, including the sweetest things for back-to-preschool.

Logo_MySweetMuffin

By Gabrielle.

It’s been 2 1/2 years since I packed a lunch for my kids. It’s not really done in France, where lunch is the main meal of the day, and is served hot and eaten at a leisurely pace either at school or at home. But I’m starting to gear up again, because I know there’s a solid chance my kids might prefer to bring a lunch than queue up in the cafeteria.

The bright spot? Browsing all the cute lunch boxes, lunch bags, and bento boxes out there! My Sweet Muffin has pulled together a particularly charming collection. Some of my favorites: Red Riding Hood insulated mugSpace Robot double-decker bento boxInsulated lunch bagLunchbox Car, Pinocchio bento box, Woodland snack box, and the Spaceboy bento box. Also, it’s not a lunch item, but this lion back pack is so cute I can barely handle it!

Tell me, Friends. Do your kids eat school lunch, or do they bring a lunch? (Or do they come home for lunch?) I’m working with Lindsey on a new series about Make-Your-Own-Lunch menus and I’m really excited about it — because I need some serious inspiration in this department! You too? Or are you already a lunch-packing master?

P.S. — If you’re not quite ready to think back-to-school yet, My Sweet Muffin also has a summer sale going on with items up to 50% off!

1 val August 5, 2013 at 10:20 am

We’re definitely a pack-your-own-lunch kind of family. With 5 kids in school and lunch times that are only 20 minutes long, there’s no way to properly eat school lunch. My oldest kids love to pack leftovers since our senior and junior highs provide microwaves in the lunchroom so they can re-heat things. But, I always love new lunch ideas, so I’m waiting on pins and needles for Lindsey’s post!

2 Design Mom August 5, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Lindsey is so good with food! I can’t wait.

3 Jen G August 5, 2013 at 10:26 am

We pack lunches for school and our kids have about 15-20 min. to eat lunch. I like to get mine done the night before but I find it one of the hardest chores of the day. Looking forward to some fresh ideas and inspiration! :)

4 Design Mom August 5, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Oh man. The 15-20 minute lunches in America are for sure one of the things that will be hardest for us to get used to again.

5 Melissa@Mama Never Sleeps August 5, 2013 at 9:49 pm

The first day of middle school, my second son so very much wanted to buy lunch (we normally pack a lunch). I agreed, reluctantly.

He came home in tears. Because of the line and a 17 minute lunch period, he never got to eat a bite. So sad!

6 heidi August 5, 2013 at 10:34 am

I’ve been packing 7 lunches every day for the past 10 years, or so it feels like. I’m burnt out, and need some fast, nutritious ideas. Perhaps you could do a post on that? (please) Also, we were using the tupperware lunch n’things containers but they are worn out and I don’t think they are made anymore, so I am in lunch container limbo. I really like the all-in-one containers because there aren’t any little lids to use. So, if you would do a post on that, I’d be very happy. So many requests, I should offer something as well. I’ve started cooking a pizza, or fish sticks, or burritos, and putting them in lunches, because I can make it the night before. Not ideal to eat that stuff cold, but it is easier for me!

7 Design Mom August 5, 2013 at 1:28 pm

7 lunches for 10 years is approximately 7 bazillion lunches. I would be burnt out too!

8 Amy3 August 5, 2013 at 11:38 am

I’d love some lunch inspiration! I pack for my daughter and since she’s not a fan of sandwiches, it can be challenging.

9 Design Mom August 5, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Oh man. Non sandwich menus definitely sound challenging. But I know Lindsey has some fun ideas up her sleeve!

10 Michelle August 5, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I have 2 kids, the oldest has special needs/feeding issues, so with my youngest I was SO excited about packing her lunch once she started full day school. I ordered one of those adorable Goodbyn lunch boxes and packed it with sandwiches cut into hearts, in addition to fruit, veggies and a small treat. This lasted for three days: the siren song of cafeteria food lured her right in. I just can’t compete with pizza, mac n’ cheese, tacos etc. So the goodbyn sits on the shelf but there is a small reward in that my daughter is so proud of memorizing her account number and the freedom of choosing her own foods. And it has actually broadened her food horizons a bit. So while I love this post (and anything back to school related!) I will be putting money into the lunch account again. : ) Gabrielle: I know you are beyond busy, but I hope you will have a “what to wear to school” post again. I looooove those! Good luck with your move!

11 Jocelyn August 5, 2013 at 4:36 pm

My oldest is about to go to kindergarten where bringing a lunch is the only option…so yes, please bring on the lunch menu ideas! I’m a rookie for sure!

12 Jennifer August 5, 2013 at 4:39 pm

My oldest is entering 1st grade and the whole lunch thing scares me. Really need some great ideas as I’m sure sandwiches will get old. Ideas on high fiber would be awesome too. It’s what my son needs but black beans are hard to pack for lunch.

13 Ann August 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm

We pack everyday except 2 days a month. One day a month is pizza lunch and another day is a hot lunch once a month which parents can go to and it is super good. We use planet box and it makes packing lunch easy. It’s metal with an army look that you can embellish with magnets and a carrying case that is durable. There are tiny little containers you can purchase that fit perfectly for smalls and meals. It comes back and everything can go in the dishwasher. I figure they probably won’t take them for high school then I can use them for portion control!

14 Elvina August 5, 2013 at 7:16 pm

At the beginning, packing lunch seemed challenging, but I got so into it, that the teacher admitted to me that she is always looking forward to another awesome lunch that my daughter would bring each day. She really caught me by surprise with her big compliment, as I never really thought about it… My formula is simple: something wholesome, something veggie, something sweet. I pack the same things I would have given her at home for lunch. I don’t hesitate to pack warm soups, dinner leftovers, tiny salads, even beans in a small container to nibble on. Chicken drumsticks are my daughters favorite! The secret is to have a thermo container :-)

15 danielle August 6, 2013 at 10:14 am

I want these for myself! :)

16 Amy August 7, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Just random fyi: I just spotted most of these items in the Japan pavilion at Epcot. So if you are planning a trip there…..great place to get Bento boxes!

Planet Box is my favorite as well.

17 Raquel August 7, 2013 at 5:47 pm

My 8th grader packs a lunch both to avoid the cafeteria line and because there are no vegetarian options at her school cafeteria. I don’t get to pick out cute lunch bags anymore. :-(

18 Britnee August 13, 2013 at 10:07 am

Cute lunch ideas. My favorite one was the Pinocchio Bento Box with the separate lunch compartments. May have to get it.