Good Morning (Breath!)

August 21, 2013

By Gabrielle. Adorable pillow covers via Etsy.

I want to wake up in the morning with my breath smelling just as sweet as it did the night before. No matter if I had garlic and onions on my pizza! Is that too much to ask? Seriously, Friends: What in the world happens while we’re sleeping?

I’ve heard rave reviews on tongue scrapers — which apparently are much more effective than just brushing your tongue — and rinsing out your mouth with peroxide before bedtime. What are your secrets? (Besides rushing to your minty toothpaste and mouthwash before you even think to say hello to your bed-mate!)

1 Katy @ All Sorts of Pretty August 21, 2013 at 9:10 am

I just asked my husband that same question the other day: “What happens inside my mouth while I sleep that makes my breath so horrible when I wake up??” I can’t imagine swishing with peroxide before bed though – blegh! I usually get up to tinkle in the early morning before I’m ready to wake up so my secret is to rinse with mouthwash on my trip in to the bathroom and go back to bed, so by the time my husband wakes up, I’m a little more minty fresh. Now if I could just get him to do the same…. :)

2 Carrie August 21, 2013 at 9:21 am

I’ve used a tongue scraper for years and yes it makes a huge difference. Also, flossing nightly. Like a religion. I think sleeping on your side helps too, because the main cause of halitosis at night is your mouth drying out, saliva production going down… and if you sleep on your back and your mouth hangs open that makes it worse.

3 Ryan August 21, 2013 at 9:23 am

I floss, brush, scrape my tongue and gargle with mouthwash before I sleep. Use the one that says 12 hour protection. Just try to stay away from garlic and onions and drink milk. That would help.

4 rachel August 21, 2013 at 9:33 am

I love my tongue scraper, its part of my daily routine for years and its amazing how much goop comes off. If you dont have one then do yourself a favor and invest!

5 kalanicut August 21, 2013 at 9:39 am

I keep a little bottle of BreathRX mouth spray in the nightstand. It’s pricey but lasts a very long time.

That way it’s a quick reach for a fast mouth refresh in the mornings. The mouthwash is also incredible & a great way to keep from getting sick with all it’s germ-killing properties. Our pediatrician said that germ-killing mouthwash & saline nasal spray are great ways to keep from getting sick because most “sick” germs attack through our mouths & noses.

6 allison August 21, 2013 at 11:10 am

The product Smart Mouth is great…it’s a 2-part mouthwash. My mouth doesn’t have that yucky taste/feeling in the morning.

7 Gail August 21, 2013 at 11:34 am

Lots of water throughout the day, flossing after each meal, waterpik before bed is my routine. Tongue scraping first thing in the morning, then 2 glasses of warm water. I recently upgraded from a plastic to a metal tongue scraper and couldn’t believe the difference in effectiveness–they are well worth the extra few dollars.

8 Tania August 21, 2013 at 11:46 am

No advice here but I am definitely buying a tongue scraper now!

9 Niki August 21, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Tongue scraper and floss works for me.

10 Danielle August 21, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Yikes – you people are amazing! Hubby and I just accept the fact we both have bad morning breath. Never thought about any of this stuff! At some point in my morning I brush my teeth—usually after coffee. And once again before bed. If I’m feeling particularly energetic then I’ll floss. :-)

11 Christine August 22, 2013 at 7:18 am

I’m with you!

12 Robin August 22, 2013 at 10:58 am

Now thats refreshing!

13 Carrie @ Her Organized Inspired Life August 21, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I’m so glad you brought this up because I’ve really been annoyed by morning mouth lately. There’s lots of great advice here that I’m going to implement this week. Thanks girls!

14 beccy bingham August 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm

My husband is the spokesperson for OraBrush so I feel like I can attest to how great it is. Sort of a tongue brush/tongue scraper in one. Its gets rid of slimey mouth, so I really love it.

15 Roxana August 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm

My sister loves her tongue scraper. She gave me a few, but I’ve actually never tried them. Either way, I hear that swigging a hydrogen peroxide/water solution is really effective, too. Hydrogen peroxide takes a lot of swigging to get out of your mouth, though!

I should try the tongue scraper, but my husband says he doesn’t mind my morning breath, which blows my mind since I can’t stand his :)!

16 Shannon { A Mom's Year } August 21, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Oh, wow, great advice! I’m assuming they sell tongue scrapers at Target and I’ve just never noticed them?

(After I read your post, I had to dig out “Bossypants” because I remember Tina Fey covered this, and I know you love her, too! She describes it as waking up with a mouth that smells like a snail that’s been out in the sun. And then I kept reading…. Funny how that happens! I came across this totally off-topic quote, too: “I was a little excited but mostly blorft. “Blorft” is an adjective I just made up that means ‘Completely overwhelmed but proceeding as if everything is fine and reacting to the stress with the torpor of a possum.’ I have been blorft every day for the past seven years.” Good old Tina.)

17 Franca Bollo August 21, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I read about oil pulling the other day on the intuitionphysician.com. It is an ancient Ayurvedic remedy for oral health and detoxification. Preventing breathing bad breath is one of its benefits. You can ready about it here.

18 Creative Printables August 22, 2013 at 6:33 am

Great advice, ladies! I definately agree with the tongue scraper and sleeping on your side. Oh, and those pillows are gorgeous!

19 Maria Babin August 23, 2013 at 2:25 am

just stumbled across this an herbal and chlorophyl drink to eradicate bad breath! invented by two german students! http://fr.pourelles.yahoo.com/video/une-boisson-contre-la-mauvaise-235511499.html

20 Estela August 23, 2013 at 9:43 am

I swear I never heard about tongue scrapers before (i’ll google them after finishing this comment), my routine is pretty much brush my teeth about 3 or 4 times a day. Floss only when absolutely necessary, as in only if I feel food stuck in between my teeth and never been a fan for mouthwash. I am a lover of garlic and onions and yes, I eat them raw and believe me, morning breath is the least of my concerns.

21 Lisa August 23, 2013 at 1:48 pm

When I do oil pulling with coconut oil, I notice that my morning breath is not half as bad. It is just hard for me to do it consistently, but I am going to try.