Book of the Week: Black Dog

August 19, 2013

Black Dog by Levi Pinfold

Images and text by Carter.

Don’t you have that one big Thing that you can only see out of the corner of your eye? A fear that is equal parts thrilling and terrifying? Mine varies depending on the day — from the dentist, to meeting someone new, to the suspense of a good old ghost story. That’s the heart of this story, Black Dog, by Levi Pinfold. One by one, members of the Hope family wake up to a big black dog looming right outside. It’s as big as a tiger, an elephant, and even something called a Big Jeffy. (So says young Maurice Hope.)

But then there’s the fearless and feisty Small Hope, who marches right out to that big black dog. She’s teensier than his eyeball, but still calls him a guffin. Her family warns that she’ll be munched and crunched, but she’s not scared — that’s Small Hope.

The pictures are breathtaking, blurring the line between what’s fantastic and what’s true. And the details! Don’t miss those tiny nuggets of story only told in the pictures. While the Hopes gather by the fire with mugs of something hot, there’s an octopus having tea with a rat in a different corner of the room. Kids’ scribbled drawings of Daddy’s pajama-clad feet and that scary Big Jeffy are scattered in the kitchen, just out of the splash zone when dropped toast falls into the kitty’s milk bowl. But along with her yellow slicker and green wellies, Small Hope’s story is the one I will remember the next time I feel intimidated, unsure, or just plain small.

Black Dog by Levi Pinfold

{ 1 trackback }

A house haunted by the living | Alice in Wonder
September 16, 2013 at 4:19 pm

1 mom in mendon August 19, 2013 at 11:02 am

This book looks wonderful. I want to go and get it right now.

2 danielle August 19, 2013 at 11:54 am

Wow. Consider me intrigued!!

3 Angela August 26, 2013 at 7:33 am

Gorgeous pics, excellent blog!

4 Personalized Varsity Jackets is an online manufacturer of personalized varsity jackets, university jackets, and other customized varsity apparel. November 5, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Handy information and facts. Privileged me I found your internet site accidentally, using this program . stunned why the following coincidence decided not to was held previous! We saved as a favorite it.

5 Modern bookcases November 30, 2013 at 3:07 am

Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just
sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything.
Do you have any helpful hints for novice blog writers?
I’d certainly appreciate it.

6 www.ebrugediz.com January 9, 2014 at 11:01 pm

After I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new
comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time a comment is added I
get four emails with the same comment. Is there an easy method you can remove me from that service?
Kudos!