A Few Things

August 9, 2013

the treehouse by Ralph

By Gabrielle. Image of our house by Astroralph.

Hello, Friends! How was your week? We are feeling really good about the unpacking progress we’ve made. If I ignore the office — which we haven’t touched yet — then it looks like we are mostly unpacked! Not designed, not settled in, but unpacked! And I’ll take it. Compared to where we were last weekend, it feels like a giant leap forward.

This also means I get to move toward the more enjoyable stage of designing each room and really making this house our home. Which is my favorite part, for sure! I’m planning on sharing some photos of the home next week — excited to share the story of how we found this place. And this weekend, maybe we’ll attack that office and get it unpacked, and do some more local exploring too (Fentons!).

While I marvel at our mostly box-free house (those last boxes seem to linger, don’t they?), here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:

- French fathers don’t change nappies?

- The ultimate missed connection listing.

- Handmade Charlotte + Shot at Life. 1 comment = 1 vaccine!

- A brother & sister bedroom with vintage style.

- This Moving Day series hit close to home.

- The all-time hotties of PBS. Via Angieville.

- What do you think of these Stay Made sheets?

- Blue mason jars on Amazon. Ball got the memo and realized antique sellers were charging through the roof for vintage canning jars. Via All Sorts of Pretty.

- On Babble this week: Thinking about hosting a Back to School Dinner for your kids? Here are lots of clever ideas!

- And get a head start on your Labor Day Party — it’s coming up fast.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — Another Friday Giveaway coming up next!

1 Giulia August 9, 2013 at 11:44 am

Have a great weekend with as little boxes as possible!
I just checked for the blue mason jars on the Canadian Amazon – can you believe they are charging 81 Canadian dollars compared to the 13 US dollars!
Sometimes I feel like we live in New Zealand or something!

2 Anna August 9, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I love the ideas for back to school! We always have a back to school celebration and make alphabet soup!

3 Jeanette August 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm

What a great idea! I’ll have to keep that one in my pocket.

4 Katy @ All Sorts of Pretty August 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Oh yay, thanks for the mention, Gabrielle! :) Hugs to you and have a wonderful (maybe productive?) weekend!

5 Ceci Bean August 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Oh, I just loved that Missed Connections post!

6 Amy Wirth August 9, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I was so excited to snap up the blue Ball canning jars until I went to post pictures of my finished pickles and tomato sauce and realized that everything looked alien and unrecognizable through the blue glass. It may be weird, or at least shallow, to care that my canning products are photogenic, but I went back to clear for the next batch.

7 Jeanette August 9, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I love the Back to School Dinner ideas. What a fun way to get your kids excited and inspired for the new year! Our traditional back-to-school dinner was homemade chili and cinnamon rolls. Even though I’m grown, every September, I get a hankering for them!

8 Karen August 9, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Fenton’s is good (portions are insane) but Tucker’s in Alameda is amazing! So much good ice cream in the East Bay… How I miss it! Walk around Lake Merritt, Fairyland for the littlest ones, fried chicken sandwiches from Bakesale Betty, pizzaiolo, Dopo… Oh Oakland, how you hold my heart.

9 Yvonne August 9, 2013 at 6:04 pm

ICI is the place to go for the world’s most amazing ice cream – drive to college avenue, cross Ashby…..look for the massive line – SO worth the wait…..don’t go for the cup – the cones have chocolate in the bottom to stop leaks and provide one last bite of heaven before it’s gone!

10 Ashley August 10, 2013 at 12:35 am

WOW the Father/diaper piece was really super duper political and not really about dads/ OR diapers but more a rant from the author about the French Conservative movement… which it seems she thinks the US Conservatives think much the same??? I can say certianly not at this home, my dears. I just got home from a shift at the local production plant… my husband happily parented our brood of 3 after his own long day there. I can assure you. diapers were changed. Happily and with his sense of manliness in tact. It had nothing to do at all with our political views ::shrug:: and ::eyeroll::

11 Lainakay August 14, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Thank you for saying this. So turned off from the start of this article. The author strikes me as quite ignorant herself. Sweeping generalizations on both sides. Sad. Proudly conservative parents here and my husband has certainly changed his fair share of diapers and everything else that goes with parenting!

12 Kris P August 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Wow. A Pee Pod. Amazing invention!

13 Petra Palmer August 11, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Haha, loved the Hotties of PBS list! I think they left off a few though…. how about those Kratt brothers – Chris and Martin – with their infectious smiles and laughter, and ability to tame all manner of wild beasts. And poor Jim Lehrer didn’t make the cut!

14 annie@mostlovelythings August 12, 2013 at 5:55 am

Gabrielle,
This is the second time I read your “A Few Things” post…how ever did I miss your “Missed Connection” piece? I love that book and truly this is the ultimate “Missed Connection” listing. You always have the best information and little parts and pieces of interesting things in life. I’m looking forward to seeing how you “design” each room of your house to make it yours.
annie

15 Erin August 15, 2013 at 9:00 am

Fun giggle over the Hotties of PBS. Sadly, they left off Rufus Sewell playing Aurelio Zen in all his stylish, Italian sun-splashed glory! And come on…they missed the guys from This Old House. :)

16 ROK August 15, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Are you unpacking small containers from FedEx or an ocean liner? I’ve been wondering how you got all your stuff home…I know a lot was luggage. I’m not moving to Europe, but I’m visiting (Lisbon) and I’m wondering how to get significant flea market shopping home. What did you do with those medium-sized pieces?