Glas

July 12, 2013

Handblown glass

By Koseli. Vase from this Etsy shop.

Anyone else completely fascinated by glass-blowing? This short video set to jazzy music follows a couple of glassblowers deep in the process. It’s beautiful.

Is there an art form or craft you’ve always wished you could try?

1 Sharon July 12, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Hi Gabrielle! We moved from the East Bay (about 15 min from Oakland, through the Caldecott tunnel – you’ll get familiar with all the ‘jargon’ soon) to Seattle 18 months ago. I’ve been collecting small blown glass trinkets since I was in my 20s. Living here, it’s EVERYWHERE, partially because of the legacy of Dale Chihully. My husband and I recently went to a glass blowing ‘class’, which was really just kind of helping a professional a bit, but it was great. It’s hard work! I am looking forward to trying a ‘real’ class sometime soon.

2 Cassandre July 13, 2013 at 9:25 am

Neat video. You should check out The Crucible when you move to Oakand, it is in West Oakland down the street from my office!

3 Angela July 13, 2013 at 10:23 am

Great video! I’m taking my littles to see glassblowers next week at our local art museum. How timely. :)

4 Koseli Cummings July 17, 2013 at 8:45 am

Oh how cool! That would be so fun to do. I’ll have to do some research for local places in Brooklyn.

5 Gia July 13, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I used to frequent Dale Chihully’s workshop in Seattle while picking up a friend’s little one from kindergarten each day. It was so amazing to watch them work and see the amazing things they create.
I second the recommendation for the Crucible in West Oakland and if you’re ever in Venice go see a demonstration. We rented a flat upstairs from a glass blowing studio and watched Ivan make glass horses for the tourists who came in the boats for the day. The tour was in Russian, but it didn’t matter, the work was amazing no matter the language.

6 Koseli Cummings July 17, 2013 at 8:46 am

That sounds amazing, Gia.

7 julie July 13, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I’m a glass artist; stained glass and fusing . . . and I am mesmerized by glass blowers. I watched them at Thanksgiving Point in SLC and a wonderful glass blower, Laurie Thal in Wilson, WY. when we participated in the Western Design Conference in Jackson. It is a dance with the glass. Love it.

8 Koseli Cummings July 17, 2013 at 8:47 am

That’s so cool, Julie.

9 rachael July 14, 2013 at 7:33 am

Where is the Friday’s post “A Few Things” ?????????

10 Design Mom July 14, 2013 at 8:04 am

Hi Rachael! I am behind this weekend because of our move. But I’m working on a post now…

11 rachael July 14, 2013 at 10:43 am

Ok, PHEW!!! At first I thought Bloglovin’ wasn’t updating my blogs and then I thought I missed some announcement about it not being posted anymore. Thanks, Gabrielle!