Getting Practical

July 22, 2013

the treehouse at dusk

Text and image by Gabrielle.

Is it really Monday already? Where did the weekend go?

I feel like I’m coming out of a state of suspended animation. The move + Alt Summit SF just about did me in! I woke up this morning craving normalcy and routine.

When my schedule gets intense, it seems like Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, blog comments — they’re the first thing to go. But then it’s a treat to catch up on all the news when I get a little downtime with my laptop. I had some of that laptop time this morning and relished it!

This evening will mark 1-week back in the States. Now that the conference is over, and we’ve made it past the jet lag, we’re getting practical. It’s time to get the kids registered for school. It’s time to decide on a car. It’s time to figure out when to move our belongings from Colorado. That sort of thing.

Our oldest 4 are at Cousins Week, which means we only have 2 little ones at home (which is relatively easy for the Blairs!), so this is a great week to really get things done.

How is July going for you?

P.S. — The shot above was taken from our bedroom at dusk last evening. This is a remarkable home. I can’t wait to share it with you.

P.P.S. — I don’t think I’ve missed posting A Few Things in years! The fact that I didn’t make it happen was a demonstration to me of just how crazy last week was. Thanks for your patience as I sort out my new schedule. : )

1 Kimberly July 22, 2013 at 1:46 pm

July is busy around here, too. We moved only about 700 miles from Manhattan, KS, to Nashville, TN, the second week of July. I am pregnant with baby #2 and our first will be 2 next week. I am beat! Trying to get the house arranged and meals cooked etc etc I feel like I’m living in a daze. I can’t imagine an international move, 6 kids and a huge conference!

2 Sara A July 23, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Welcome to Nashville!

3 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Moving while pregnant presents its own unique challenges. I’m sure you’re doing swimmingly!

4 k a t y July 22, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Welcome back to the states! Moving is a huge accomplishment without all you’ve got going on. Love the view. Like you’re waking up to your own personal nature preserve each day!

5 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:43 pm

The house is smack dab in a neighborhood but the trees really do make it feel secluded.

6 layla July 22, 2013 at 3:41 pm

i can’t wait to see the new home.
and i will mourn seeing the old home, too.

7 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Thank you, Layla. I’m excited to share it.

8 Zoe - SlowMama July 22, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Wasn’t expecting that for an Oakland backyard, but I’ve never been there so what do I know?? Amazed you can come up for air at all after the kind of past few weeks you’ve had; you must have a constitution of steel! Here’s to eventually returning to a new normal and a routine!

9 captain Crafty July 22, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Looks like you are up on the top of the hills, Skyline style.
You have to check out the redwood forest hidden up there!
Love, love, love that area!!!!

10 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Hidden Redwood Forest? Count me in!

We actually have one redwood on our property — a young one, not quite a foot across — but it makes me grin.

11 Melissa Lehman July 22, 2013 at 6:24 pm

The view looks lovely and peaceful. Hope that you are able to continue to find little pockets of rest and peace as you transition and set up house.

Love your blog and love that you always “keep it real”. Even sharing your “crazy” with us. Blog on!

12 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:54 pm

It really is peaceful. A little hideaway from the business of the city. We feel so lucky to live in this house!

13 Christine @ Life in a Dress July 22, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Having met you at Alt Summit, I understood how crazy the past week has been for you. You are just as lovely in person as you are on your blog.

Congratulations on your move back to the states! I think there will be lots for you to enjoy in Oakland as a family. People have a lot of misconceptions but there are a lot of really cool things there.

One of my favorites is Bakesale Betty’s for fried chicken sandwiches. The wait is well worth it.

14 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Bakesale Betty’s — what a cool name! I can’t wait to try it.

And so glad we met!

15 Michelle July 22, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Welcome back to the States! We just did a move (not cross ocean) and it has thrown me for a loop. I can only imagine what you must be feeling! Sending good vibes your way!

16 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I suppose feeling thrown for a loop is just how it goes with moves. But I’ll be so glad when things feel more settled. Best of luck, Michelle!

17 susan July 23, 2013 at 6:36 am

Welcome to your new home. Remember your readers understand your busy schedule with moving, working, mothering and everything else you do. We are fine if you miss a few posts. We will be right here waiting for you anytime you post:)

18 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I so appreciate the understanding and supportive words. Thank you, Susan!

19 Shannon July 23, 2013 at 7:59 am

This photo made me smile–my favorite room in our house is the screened porch because, just like in your photo, you feel like you’re in a treehouse. Great for bird-watching!

I have four kids, and even when just one goes to stay overnight at a friend’s or Grammy’s, it makes a difference. Even if it’s the quietest one! So enjoy the relative down-time. :)

20 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:49 pm

We are very inexperienced bird watchers, but I hope we make it a hobby in this new house. So far, we’ve met a lovely bluebird that hangs around and we’re all in awe of it.

21 Migs July 23, 2013 at 10:23 am

I’ve been going back to your blog a few times last friday and saturday hoping to read your regular A Few Things. I missed it. :-)

22 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for missing it, Migs. It’s nice to be missed sometimes. : )

23 Renee July 23, 2013 at 11:10 am

I love that you said you only have the two little ones and that’s relatively easy for you. I only have 2 little ones and I consider it anything but easy. It’s all relative, isn’t it? I admire that you seemingly keep it all together so well and that you create such meaningful experiences with all of them.

24 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Hah! It really is all relative isn’t it? And ages of children mean a ton, too! I would find a newborn and a toddler way more challenging than my 3 year old and 7 year old.

25 Laura at Rather Square July 23, 2013 at 11:41 am

Welcome to your new home! Concentrate on getting settled in real life, and enjoy the time with the littlest ones. The blog world will still be here after you have caught a few breaths. Cannot wait to hear more about the new house!

26 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:47 pm

You’re so sweet, Laura. Thank you for the kind words.

27 Ann July 23, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Enjoy the peace in getting settled in. I look forward to your new posts. Our July is now in slow mode. Camps are done for now and we just have some little Friday morning sport ones to keep boyz busy. I’m looking forward to spending time by the pool and finishing my summer booklist! Your new home looks like a treehouse! Modern Swiss Family Robinson style! Enjoy!

28 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:47 pm

We totally feel like that, Ann! We keep calling it The Treehouse. I won’t be surprised if the name sticks.

Enjoy your pool time and summer booklist. Sounds dreamy!

29 Tessa Lynn July 23, 2013 at 11:45 pm

We’ve been back in the states for about a week as well since returning from living in Spain. It’s been a weird transition, especially the fact that everyone speaks my own language now! We’re still house hunting but it’s a blessing to see family and friends again:) I wish you and your beautiful family happiness and comfort in this transition period of your life! I can’t wait to read of your adventures in the bay area now!

30 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Welcome back, Tessa Lynn! I still can’t believe how much being able to communicate easily means to me.