Everyday Food

July 18, 2013

everyday food video prep

By Gabrielle.

Friends! I have some fun news! When I was in New York last month for Alt Summit, I was invited to join an episode of Everyday Food with Sarah Carey. I had such a great time at the video shoot! Sarah is really smart and really funny, and I thought it was such a treat to hang out with her. (Bonus: it’s always fun getting hair and makeup done). And today, the episode came out! (It also happens to be Alt Summit San Francisco today. Isn’t that fun timing? I love stuff little coincidences like that!) Take a look:

Watching this video made me really happy. I adore Sarah! And tzatziki, too! It’s one of our very favorite family recipes. We started making it when Ben Blair and I lived in Greece — back during our college days — so it’s been a consistent part of our family food memories throughout the years. If you try the recipe, I’d love to hear what you think.

By the way, do you subscribe to the Everyday Food videos? I get a new one in my inbox each day and I’m such a fan. Sarah is so encouraging and fuss-free — she makes me feel like I can cook anything.

P.S. — I was told I am the first guest on the series. What an honor!

1 Jenna July 18, 2013 at 8:25 am

What a cute episode, you were wonderful! I’d never seen Sarah Carey before, but just might have to check out some more of her videos now. And I’m definitely going to make the tzatziki this week – it looks so easy and delicious!

2 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:05 am

It’s so yummy! You’ll love it.

3 Mau July 18, 2013 at 8:36 am

Let’s not forget the Olive Us episode with the kids making tzatziki! ;-)

4 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:07 am

Right! It was our second episode ever. I love that you remembered it. Here’s the link, in case anyone is curious:

5 Ivonne July 18, 2013 at 9:00 am

It was great, Gabby! I love Every food videos!

6 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:07 am

Thanks, Ivonne!

7 Zoe - SlowMama July 18, 2013 at 10:07 am

I subscribe and loved seeing you in this one — congrats! Inspires me to make some tzatziki since it’s been a while!

8 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:07 am

I subscribe too. Seeing Sarah in my inbox each day is lovely.

9 Shannon July 18, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I love the tip about using salt to help mash the garlic into paste. And I’ve never seen a ricer in my entire life, either! Great video–I love the tone…very relaxed, like friends hanging out having fun cooking and learning together. I’ll definitely check out more of Sarah’s videos. And give tzatziki a try!

10 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:08 am

Seriously. I was learning new stuff right and left during the video shoot! It really was so much fun.

11 Elise July 18, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I love Sarah Carey’s videos! She is so upbeat, and I love that she isn’t too “perfect” – less intimidating for the rest of us who don’t have half her culinary skills! We are crazy for yogurt dressing at our house and have been making a modified tzatziki with herbs from our garden and plenty of lime juice and throwing it on top of everything from roasted chickpeas to grilled chicken: http://www.plinnovations.com/meatless-monday-roasted-chickpea-recipe/

12 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:09 am

Yay! We are the same at our house. Tzatziki goes on everything — chicken, bread, cucumber/onion/tomato salad. We love it!

13 Karin S July 18, 2013 at 4:57 pm

We do a similar recipe with just the full fat yogurt and we add a bit of fresh lemon juice. YUM. Its a staple during the summer grilling months! (and I started really squeezing the water out after your original post about it…totally makes a difference!)
Great job gals!

14 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:11 am

We love lemon at our house, too! And it’s such a staple of Greek cooking. One of our favorite ways to serve tzatziki is with chicken and potatoes cooked in lemon juice and olive oil.

So good it’s making my mouth water while I type.

15 christina July 18, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Tzatziki is a staple in our house too! We shred the cucumber then strain it with a strainer…a low end ricer! And we put lemon juice and dill in ours as well. It’s an easy and delicious addition to a simple dinner.

16 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:12 am

Sarah made me promise not to buy a ricer for this one task (since I probably wouldn’t use it for anything else), but I’m tempted. : )

17 Tasha July 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Wow that looks delish!
I’d never heard of that dip and will try it:)
Apparently I need a ricer now – love a new gadget lol.
What a low key, upbeat series!

18 Tasha July 18, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Meant to say – this is a bit nostalgic for me! My Polish family uses sour cream for everything (even pierogi dough) and I miss the summer salad of: Super thinly sliced cucumbers, thinly sliced onion (if you choose), sour cream and salt/pep….making this tomorrow ♥

19 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:13 am

Yum! That is similar to the Greek Salad we make. But instead of thinly sliced, we like to cut the onions, cucumbers (and tomatoes!) into chunks.

20 Emily July 18, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Love it! I just went to Greece for the first time and came home craving tzaziki. I had a hard time finding a good recipe on the Internet so will have to try yours next. Cheers!

21 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:13 am

There’s so much to love about Greece, and their food is high on the list!

22 Kristina @ DailyAmpersand July 18, 2013 at 9:51 pm

:) That looked like fun! I love Sarah. Her energy is just so infectious!

23 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:14 am

That is the truth. She is so energetic! It’s really wonderful to be around her.

24 Deborah July 19, 2013 at 6:18 am

Yum! The perfect cool recipe for today. (Heat wave, 99 with an index of 107 in PA of all places.)
I’m going to follow your tip and have the kids help out.

25 Deborah July 19, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Oh my. I just made this to put in the fridge for dinner and had to force myself to stop sampling it!

26 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:15 am

Hooray! I’m really glad to hear you tried the recipe, Deborah.

27 whitney July 19, 2013 at 7:11 am

Yum! What a lovely duo to teach us about tzatziki. Great job in the video!

28 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:15 am

Thanks, Whitney!

29 Tricia July 19, 2013 at 11:47 am

I really enjoyed the video and it inspired me to watch more Everyday Food videos. So relaxed, friendly, and informative.

30 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:16 am

Relaxed and friendly are both great words to describe her videos. I appreciate that she doesn’t focus on perfection.

31 Sarah W July 19, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I started watching her videos after you mentioned them here and I love them! As others have said, she’s so relaxed and laid back, and makes me feel like I can do these recipes with relative ease. I loved your guest appearance. Very fun!

32 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:17 am

When she asked me, I was delighted! I’m such a fan of her video series.

33 Karen July 20, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Adorable video. And now I want a Gyro.

34 Design Mom July 22, 2013 at 8:17 am

Hah! Me too.

35 camille July 24, 2013 at 8:32 am

I say this with great kindness, hoping it doesn’t come off as a criticism or patronizing, but I think you could benefit from watching a knife skills video: basically, you want to use your knife in a sort of circular motion in which the tip of the knife is always in contact with the chopping board. It really helps make the slicing or chopping gesture more fluid and efficient, so it is both quicker and easier on your wrist.

36 bdaiss July 25, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Oh we adore tzatziki over here! No oil, all greek yogurt (no sour cream) and more garlic than most people care for. And dill! It must have dill! Tzatziki is a total wonder food. I think I need to make some tonight!