A Few Things

July 26, 2013

green river, utah

By Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How are you? Have you had a good week? It feels really satisfying to be typing up this post today. I was so bummed to miss it last week — it’s for sure one of my favorite weekly rituals!

I’m typing today from Green River, Utah, where we slept last night. After I hit publish, we’ll get back on the road and head to Denver. We’re leaving our Denver schedule as open as we can because we’re not sure how long it will take us to deal with our storage unit, and arrange for our belongings to make their way to Oakland. But we hope to be back in California by the end of next week — and then get down to the business of unpacking and settling in.

While we get ready to get back on the road (feel free to follow along!), here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:

- Newlyweds will live for 90 days using only Bitcoin as currency.

- Is science, or religion, to blame for moral decline? (Trick question!)

- Love The Little House? Try The Little House in song. Thanks, Lissalou.

- Two posts I wrote for Cafémom — Would you put a swing in your child’s room? And one of the most charming nurseries I’ve seen in ages.

- Tossing and turning? Blame the moon.

- Crocheted playground.

Canary, a home security device that’s wireless and connects to a smart phone app so you can monitor your home from anywhere. (The video is great).

- My nephew (who is an adult) is changing his name. Outside of a new marriage, have you ever thought about changing yours?

Chalkboard book covers.

- On my Babble column this week — 18 Rainy Day Activities to help you fight summer boredom. And lots of smart ideas for a Wild West themed party.

- I’m hosting a really good Facebook Giveaway this week for a new lingerie company called Dear Kate. On your period? Post baby bladder? Dear Kate offers leak-proof (but still sexy!) underthings.

I hope you have a marvelous weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already!

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — Driving through the desert landscape has me thinking about some of the Olive Us episodes we filmed last summer — especially Kish and Ghost Town.

1 Clado July 26, 2013 at 12:10 pm

“Another area of grave concern in modern society is the rising percentage of children born to unmarried women.” …wow this is a valid choice to be respected, not one that shows moral decline! Even if this article ends by stating that moral decline does not seem be on the rise, some of the examples are just offensive. I follow your blog and like to see your family adventures, but this article link was just not for me.

2 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 9:23 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I had to go re-read the article, because I didn’t recognize the sentence you quoted. When I read it the first time, I interpreted that line as being about teen pregnancies, but when I re-read it, I saw that I was wrong — that it doesn’t specify teen pregnancies at all.

And I agree with you, of the “rising percentage of children born to unmarried women,” I’m sure a portion are women that are intentionally and confidently going into parenthood on their own. And more power to them!

3 Sharon @ Discovering Blog July 26, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Your nephew is a phenomenal writer! Amazing.

4 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 9:08 am

I agree. He’s so good!

5 julia July 26, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I would put a swing inside..its great sensory regulation for kids. And helpful in winter when its too cold to play outside!

6 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 9:09 am

We won’t have space in our new home, but outside, we’re scheming about all sorts of swings.

7 val July 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I always love your weekly roundup of links on Friday. I enjoy being exposed to differing views and perusing the thought-provoking articles you share. Thanks so much for sending them our way.

Also… I’d never really considered a name change for reasons other than marriage, but your nephew’s blog article was incredibly moving and gave me serious pause about the whole idea of the genesis of self. Truly brilliant!

8 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 9:10 am

“gave me serious pause about the whole idea of the genesis of self”

I feel the same way.

9 Courtney K July 26, 2013 at 5:37 pm

If you need anything in Denver, let me know!

10 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 9:11 am

You’re so sweet, Courtney! Thank you.

11 Mara Kofoed July 26, 2013 at 5:58 pm

The Canary video was filmed by a friend IN MY APARTMENT! :) That woman is a dear friend and that bull dog belongs to other friends. :) Love all the projects always going on here in Brooklyn. And can’t wait to try Canary!

12 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 9:14 am

What? You’re apartment is the coolest! (And you know all the most interesting people.)

13 Tasha July 26, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I only skimmed a few topics but YES to the swings!!! And those rooms are gorgeous!!! I did have a “what if…?” moment concerning safety, but the impractical side of me thinks it could be such fun…but what of the sleepover madness that will ensue, lol?!

14 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 9:15 am

Sleepover madness for sure!

15 Genevieve July 26, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Amazing article by Robbie Blair on so many different levels.

16 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 9:15 am

I’m so impressed with Robbie!

17 bliss July 27, 2013 at 4:34 am

ghost town is my childrens’ favorite olive us. any time they see a desert in a book or a movie, they say “ghost town?”

18 Design Mom July 27, 2013 at 9:16 am

It’s such a cute one. Betty peeking around the corner just kills me.

19 Robbie Blair July 27, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Gabby, thank you so much for including me in this link roundup. I’m 1) honored by the attention, 2) glad that you enjoyed the article, and 3) grateful that you felt it was worth mentioning.

20 Design Mom July 28, 2013 at 11:37 am

Clearly, everyone loves it, Robbie! Nice work.

21 h July 27, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Your nephew makes a good argument in his article. Essentially a name is a name. When my husband and I were married, I took his name. 4 years later we changed it. I was tired of trying to spell it out and also the harassment from younger generations. He wanted a more professional sounding name and didn’t like the crass jokes that came along with his original last name. So we took my maiden name and have loved it for the most part. We still get strange looks and comments once in a while, but for the most part, we feel that people are warming to idea of finding yourself and being happy for you, no matter your last name.

22 Design Mom July 28, 2013 at 11:38 am

I loved reading about your experience. I think name conversation are endlessly fascinating.

23 Cheryl Burchett July 28, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Why should the kids have all the fun? We didn’t just put up a swing, we installed a TRAPEZE in our LIVING ROOM (thankful for super high ceilings and a very supportive husband)! You can read all about it on my blog. http://www.repurposedpumpkin.com/2011/05/the-trapeze-post_23.html

24 Design Mom July 29, 2013 at 1:01 am

I think you must be the coolest parents ever!

25 Amber Marlow, theAmberShow July 28, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I changed my name. Two years after I got married I changed my last name to my husband’s and my middle name to something totally unique: Marlow.

When I dropped the husband two years after that, I dropped his last name, and now I am Amber Marlow, all alone, and so shall I remain, subsequent marriages or not.

26 Design Mom July 29, 2013 at 1:02 am

So interesting! I have no idea what name I would give myself if I was asked to. I’ll have to think about that.