Ice Cream Delivery

June 11, 2013

Milkmade Ice cream

By Koseli. Photo by Milkmade.

For Mother’s Day last year, my husband surprised me with a three month subscription to Milkmade, a craft ice cream company that delivers homemade pints of ice cream directly to your door. It was something I never would have bought for myself but he got away with as a super sweet surprise gift.

Once a month, a cheerful “milkmade” hand-delivered the ice cream to me. Sometimes they rode a bike, drove, or just took the subway. The box of two pints always included the story behind that month’s flavors, a happy playlist, and colorful ice cream magnets. A couple of times we had to pass on the month’s flavors because of personal preferences, and they sent along a personal note with our special order pints.

Would you splurge on a little luxury like this? I have to admit that about half the flavors were a little too out there for me, but the other half were delicious — like s’more and chocolate peanut butter. And something about getting the perfect pint of ice cream delivered to your door on a weekday night was instantly relaxing. I looked forward to it all week! This would make a dreamy present for brand new parents or for Father’s Day.

Have you ever given or received a food subscription? Maybe a classic, like fruit of the month? Or something more unusual, like bacon? I’d love to hear about your experience.

P.S. — It looks like MilkMade doesn’t ship outside NYC yet, but is planning to soon. There are also plenty of other delicious options that ship near and far.

1 Hannah June 11, 2013 at 7:31 am

I’ve always wanted to try something like MCRN BAR, a monthly macaron subscription with new flavors delivered to your door! Yum…

2 Koseli Cummings June 11, 2013 at 8:04 am

Oh, fancy and delicious. That would be fun, Hannah.

3 PARIS BEE kids blog June 11, 2013 at 8:02 am

What a wonderful present!!!!! I would like a delivery from Grom in Paris, must find out if they do that and start dropping hints to my dear husband ;-)

xoxo PARIS BEE kids blog

4 Koseli Cummings June 11, 2013 at 8:05 am

That would be trouble for me. I LOVE Grom. We have a couple in NYC and that gelato is heaven. I’d totally opt for that over ice cream.

5 Chedva June 11, 2013 at 8:02 am

Oh. My God. I’m now glad that we don’t have ice cream delivery here (that I know of), or else that dairy-free thing would be %200 harder.

ps my friend used to own a macaron truck in Chicago. not my cup of tea (too sugary) but I’m sure it is for many others.

6 Koseli Cummings June 11, 2013 at 8:06 am

Chedva, Ha!

7 Brenlin June 11, 2013 at 8:09 am

We have gifted someone with the bacon of the month club from Zingerman’s. They loved it!

8 Kate (HereNowBrownCow) June 12, 2013 at 7:19 am

This sounds so indulgent! I would definitely love it if someone bought this for me (*hint hint nudge nudge*). I’m curious what flavours could be too “out there” to try? Surely any ice cream is awesome?!!

9 Cerise June 13, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Oh wow, that sounds wonderful. I would never treat myself to something like this, but I would love it as a gift. Even the more interesting flavors would be fun to try.

10 Amber June 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Best gift! Omit the late night bodega run for subpar ice cream and be treated to a tasty surprise once a month? Totally the stuff of my if-I-had-all-the-money-in-the-world dreams.