A Few Things

June 7, 2013

French Country Road  |  Design Mom

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How’s it going? Are you ready for the weekend? For us, I think this is the first weekend in months and months with absolutely nothing on the schedule. That feels good every once in awhile! Perhaps we’ll visit the beach tomorrow. Or maybe work in the yard. Or maybe just do nothing at all. How about you? Anything you’re looking forward to?

While I keep grinning at our empty weekend calendar, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:

- They’ve dressed alike for 33 years. Thanks, Caroline.

Why wooden toys?

- They sell organic baby clothing and take it back when outgrown! Thanks, Diana.

- Swim season is here, we all need to review this.

- Hello Summer!

- Maps that show how Americans speak English differently.

- It’s about bugs. But I unexpectedly teared up!

- Is the internet like a child’s brainThanks, Lori.

- Nomadic teenagers. I’m not even sure what to think.

- On my Babble column this week: Throw a Water Party! — 16 Ideas.

- And 18 Gifts you can DIY for Father’s Day.

- Last month, the Deseret News asked me to write up something I learned from my mother. I just got the link yesterday, if you’d like to take a look. (The last 2 photos in the slideshow go with my segment.)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — The image at top was snapped last weekend, walking from from our community Vide Grenier (tag sale).

{ 2 trackbacks }

A Few Things
June 7, 2013 at 3:22 pm
Just Moms » Blog Archive » A Few Things
June 7, 2013 at 9:22 pm

1 Gia June 7, 2013 at 9:59 am

Interesting article on drowning. Thanks.

2 Design Mom June 7, 2013 at 10:45 am

I hope it was helpful.

3 Catherine June 7, 2013 at 10:17 am

The speech map is from my alma mater! I’m so excited for all the attention it’s getting! Thanks for sharing it!

4 Design Mom June 7, 2013 at 10:46 am

The speech map is super cool! I would be so proud of my school if it was me. Totally understandable.

5 Christa the BabbyMama June 7, 2013 at 12:03 pm

All I know is that as a mom, those pics of nomadic teens scare me. I wonder what happened at home that made them leave…

6 Design Mom June 10, 2013 at 2:34 am

I felt the same way. Those images bring out the motherly instincts. I wanted to hug them and feed them.

7 Rissie June 7, 2013 at 12:34 pm

That photo series about nomadic teenagers … all the comments talk about how free they are, but I wonder about their parents and especially that baby. I don’t think I like it when it affects other people in potentially negative ways.

8 Design Mom June 10, 2013 at 2:34 am

I feel the same way. I found the comments odd.

9 mandi@herbanhomestead June 15, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Yes! The naked baby! Oh it made my heart ache.

10 Azra June 7, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I love the advice from your mom. It makes perfect sense. Often, I am caught up in overdoing things, where effort is absolutely unnecessary.
I will try to remember it. :) Have a great weekend.

11 Design Mom June 10, 2013 at 2:35 am

Yay! I’m glad you liked the advice, Azra. I have to remind myself of that lesson all the time.

12 Cathy Hunter June 7, 2013 at 3:54 pm

13 Design Mom June 10, 2013 at 2:35 am

Thank you, Cathy!

14 Christy@SweetandSavoring June 7, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Those little outfits are adorable- you dress your kids with style and it’s awesome :) And that’s so funny, I just posted that map link about speaking English differently myself.

Your list round-ups are always such a great read!

15 Design Mom June 10, 2013 at 2:37 am

Those English-speaking maps were fascinating to me — and entertaining too! I’ve seen them passed around this weekend and I’m so glad a clever project like that is getting lots of attention.

Thanks for the kind words, Christy!

16 Erin June 7, 2013 at 6:05 pm

That drowning article is so important! I went to a party at my aunt’s house where a lot of my little cousins and their friends were swimming in her pool. The adults were mostly eating or watching their kids play rather than swimming. One couple wasn’t paying attention to their daughter who was about 6 or 7 and apparently not a very good swimmer. All of a sudden I heard one of the other adults yell and jump into the pool fully clothed and pull the little girl up from the bottom. She came out of the water coughing and immediately threw up but luckily she was fine. It happened so quietly and was the scariest moment ever and it only took a few seconds for the whole thing to occur. Always, always watch your kids when they’re swimming, and if you have to step away, even for a second, designate someone else to watch them for you!

17 Design Mom June 10, 2013 at 2:38 am

Oh man. That kind of story is terrifying, because I know it could happen to anyone, including me.

18 PARIS BEE kids blog June 8, 2013 at 5:43 am

Enjoy your weekend! Isn’t it such a luxury to sometimes just do nothing?

We’ll be walking around Paris this weekend, our plan is to downgrade strollers to something easily foldable, and nothing else! So a bit like your weekend!

xoxo PARIS BEE kids blog

19 Design Mom June 10, 2013 at 2:38 am

Walking around Paris sounds dreamy. Have fun!

20 Lizzie June 8, 2013 at 11:21 am

The photographer was himself a train hopper from 2002 to 2012. His dream is to become a train mechanic. Here’s a slate article about his photojournal, A Period of Juvenile Prosperity: http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2013/03/07/mike_brodie_a_period_of_juvenile_prosperity_documents_life_as_a_freight.html

21 Design Mom June 10, 2013 at 2:39 am

Thanks for the link, Lizzie. I want to read it. Those images are provocative.

22 LP June 8, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I loved, loved, loved the cicada movie and teared up, too because of what my daughter said. After the cicadas died and the nymphs were born, she said, “Now what are they going to do? They don’t have a mom or a dad to take of them and protect them and show them where to get food.” She’s 5. She’s perfect right now. Thanks for this.

23 Design Mom June 10, 2013 at 2:40 am

Oh. Your sweet daughter! What a heartfelt little reaction.