Worn Out

May 29, 2013

By Gabrielle. Image via Obaz.

When we head back to the States, I’m sure my kids will be shocked by the different daily dress code. I’m sure we all will! Sometimes, I trend surf online just to see what’s cool right now. And sometimes, I am shocked right out of my seat!

I’ve seen denim more ripped than put together on sale for a few hundred dollars, boots scuffed to appear like you’ve owned them for years for about the same amount, and tons of old-looking tees and cutoff shorts with brand new prices. Wouldn’t our grandparents roll their eyes at us paying more for worn out clothes? Yet we’ve all done it, haven’t we?

Tell me: What’s the most you’ve spent on something that looked old – or, in the case of vintage clothing, was truly old – when you bought it?

Or are you the type to buy new things and go to extreme lengths to keep them looking brand new? Oh, the horror of that first bleach splatter on your pristine black blouse! And the wrath that ensues after a sibling steps on another’s white sneakers! (On second thought, I actually would pay more for my kids’ shoes to show up with the first smudge already in place, wouldn’t you?)

{ 2 trackbacks }

Just Moms » Blog Archive » Worn Out
May 29, 2013 at 11:41 am
Worn Out
May 29, 2013 at 11:42 am

1 Christa the BabbyMama May 29, 2013 at 8:35 am

I just can’t do the ratty old look. Maybe it’s something about my face or my body shape, but I just look wrong in clothes that aren’t quite polished. At least it means I’m not paying more for rips and scuffs!

2 Grace@ Sense and Simplicity May 29, 2013 at 8:50 am

I’m not a fan of the worn-out look. It may be my age, but I just won’t buy clothes that are ripped on purpose. I don’t even like a faded wash on jeans – I like them dark. Maybe when your face starts to fade and wrinkle you don’t want faded and wrecked in your clothing (just made up that theory right now on the spot).

I’m looking forward to hearing what differences you notice when you move back to the US. I think the biggest shock will be how many people schlep around in yoga wear and gym clothes when they are just running errands etc. I’m not a fan of that either – I dress in exercise clothes for exercising and jeans or cargo pants for relaxing wear. I’m constantly shocked at what people wear out in public though (“leggings are not pants” should be enforced as law).

3 Karen May 29, 2013 at 9:09 am

I was on vacation recently and picked up a few fashion magazines and was surprised at all the ripped jeans in ads, on celebrities and in some of the fashion lay outs. And these old looking, ripped up jeans aren’t cheap! I’ve never been a fan of distressed denim…not acid wash way back when and definitely not the shredded look that’s in style now. Maybe it’s just a sign that I’m too old to be super trendy? I think the closest I came to wearing old looking denim was when I was in eight grade and begged my parents for some faded Guess jeans with some crazy snap cargo pockets. I saved up to buy them and thought they were so cool! Looking back its hard to believe I thought those jeans were the height of fashion. I guess in my small Ohio town they might have been;)

4 Erica May 29, 2013 at 9:17 am

I’m a total sucker for destroyed jeans. They just catch my eye. Destroyed tops are not my thing though. I’d rather have perfect tops with distressed jeans.

simplyonelove.com

5 Jen May 29, 2013 at 9:19 am

Oh I remember parading around in ripped jeans during the 80′s. It was the pseudo-punk/pre-grunge thing. We ripped our own jeans, but I do remember being able to buy the look. Now I am old so I sit back and chuckle knowingly.

6 Kristin F. May 29, 2013 at 10:21 am

I have always been a fan of deconstructed denim, but I don’t like spending a lot of money on it! This is one of those times when I shop at the tweener stores — American Eagle has great worn denim in jeans and shorts for super affordable. Obviously, I wouldn’t wear these to work, but they are perfect with flowy tops and sandals on the weekend.

And for the record, I think leggings are brilliant :). I wouldn’t wear them with tees and sneakers in public, but with boots, tunics and dresses, I think layering leggings is so much fun!

7 Grace@ Sense and Simplicity May 29, 2013 at 10:31 am

Totally agree about the leggings with tunics and dresses and boots – love that look! It is when leggings are worn as pants with the rear-end exposed that I don’t like the look no matter how trim the rear is.

8 farfromhomemama May 29, 2013 at 10:59 am

I often sport my dad’s old Levi denim jacket. It’s about 30 years old and is the perfect amount of worn. I’ve seen them sell for an awful lot of money but to me, it was free :-)

9 Hilary May 29, 2013 at 11:14 am

As a teenager I was an avid thrift store shopper. All moody and mod but I bought on the cheap…that was the point! In college I lived in Madrid for a year. There was a thrift store there I loved and I found THE coolest, perfectly worn motorcycle jacket. It was $100!! I couldn’t believe it but I HAD to have it. I bought it and it is one of the coolest pieces in my wardrobe to date. Not only that but I recently looked up the brand on ebay and they sell from anywhere between $500-$1000! I still like to thrift and I dig the deconstructed look mixed with higher fashion, but that’s individual taste for sure!

10 Amy3 May 29, 2013 at 11:34 am

When I was kid I used to try to “break in” my new sneakers by stepping on them, dragging my feet through the dirt, etc.!

11 Kellee | FreeTime, Ltd. May 29, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I do love a good pair of worn-in jeans, but those are found easily enough at thrift stores for $5.

The most I’ve spent on something that looked old: $700. BUT, it was my wedding dress and it actually WAS old (circa 1910). I happened to get engaged during a year that I had vowed to buy zero new clothes. (I allowed myself thrifted finds, just nothing *new* – all part of a stand against over-consumption of virgin resources.) So, while it was a lot of money for something old, it was actually pretty thrifty as far as wedding gowns go!

12 Jenny May 29, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Playing on the floor with my kids wears out the knees of all my jeans. It looks like I can pretend I’m fashion forward, rather than just worn-out : )

13 Maike May 29, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I like worn out if it was me who wore it out.
I don’t really like to pay for looks that happen all by themselves naturally, the same with fake vintage furniture.
I really like having clothes and decoration for a really long time, I love timeless stuff. And then I like when it looks old and used. When it is old and used.

14 Melissa May 29, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I don’t usually pay for “distressed,” since I’m pretty good at unintentionally distressing my own clothes. ;) I do shop at used clothing stores, and my kids wear through the knees of their jeans crazy-fast, so there is plenty of the worn-in look going on at my house. But would I pay extra for it…? Not so much.

15 Ann May 29, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I love this look but would never wear it now. This reminds me of art school! Mine were not tight but boyfriend loose and the knees were totally blown out like this. Loved them!

16 Lisa May 30, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I have no problem spending money on vintage dresses because 1) they are so well made that I know they’re going to continue to stand the test of time and 2) they actually hold their resale value. Jeans are a different story. But true vintage, no problem at all!

17 juliette May 31, 2013 at 10:16 am

No never, always distress them myself then you get the right tears in the right place and if you buy from second hand/charity shops then they are worn already. Love being able to make them look original. My daughter just recently converted to second hand jeans and we cut them up around her she now says she will never go back to the high street for new ones again, result been waiting nearly 10 years to hear her say that!