The Infinite Possibilities to Create

May 21, 2013

Águas poster. By Kevin Cantrell.

By Gabrielle.

France is 6 hours ahead of the East Coast. Nine hours ahead of  California. Seven hours ahead of Oklahoma City. Most of the time, I love the time difference. It feels good to get up and get my work done while my inbox is quiet and the U.S. is still sleeping. But sometimes, the time change means waking up to heartbreak. The devastation in Oklahoma City happened after I’d shut down my laptop for the night and tucked all the kids in bed.

So I’ve spent the morning reading the news, scrolling through Twitter, and trying to grasp the devastation. Which is impossible, of course. If you’re feeling as helpless as I am, this post by Sarah of Whoorl (she’s an OKC native), is a good place to start.

A few months back, I wrote about a poster series by Kevin Cantrell called Seven Days, referencing the 7 days of creation in the Bible. The first poster was about Light. The second poster just became available, it’s called Águas. The text is taken from the first few verses in Genesis, suggesting the infinite possibilities to create.

That idea — the infinite possibilities to create — was soothing to me today, implying fresh starts and rebuilding. And I hope the idea will be soothing to you too.

1 Christa the BabbyMama May 21, 2013 at 6:45 am

Not sure how comforting in the moment, but I’ve always been soothed by the idea of life’s infinite creation. Life moves. People are born even in the midst of tragedy. If I was to personify life I’d call it ever hopeful.

2 Dee Wilcox May 21, 2013 at 7:34 am

The poster is beautiful. Thank you for sharing the link to Sarah’s post, as well. It’s hard to know how to respond to devastation when it strikes, and Sarah’s post was very helpful. Giving to the Red Cross and the OK Food Bank is the least we can do.

3 Amy May 21, 2013 at 8:48 am

We are Oklahomans and received good news yesterday when so many did not. My hubby’s parents live in Moore. Knowing where they live and seeing the destruction in areas all around their home on tv was shocking. The cell towers were overloaded and damaged so it took awhile to get word that they were all right. My mother in law was in the backyard sobbing as she talked to my husband. They were okay but across the street was was not. My father in law could not get to her as all entry points were shut down. We are thankful for our good news but heartbroken for the other families impacted. My brother is a first responder in Tulsa and was deployed to OKC/Moore. Not sure when he will be back home. So much destruction – it’s just hard to believe.

4 Abby May 21, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I am an Oklahoman and likewise received blessed news that my sister and her second graders were okay after narrowly being missed by yesterdays tornado. There are so many that have been devastated not only by yesterdays tornado, but also the tornadoes that came through the state on Sunday. Today has been hard for the relief effort as there are hail and thunderstorms moving through the affected parts of our state. Please continue to keep our state in your prayers and making donations to Red Cross and other organizations helping with the relief/ search and rescue efforts. We are heartbroken, but we are a resilient community! Thank you for all of your prayers.

5 Meg May 21, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Thank you for sharing Sarah’s post. Its hard to comprehend why tragedies like this happen but its heartening to know as well that life offers infinite possibilities.

6 Caddy May 21, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Gabby,

Thank you so very much for this post and for sharing the soothing idea of infinite possibilities to create. It’s exactly what I needed today since I was feeling a bit down.

7 Rachel May 23, 2013 at 10:37 am

This is why you are my favorite blogger. As a native Oklahoman, I dreaded getting on the internet on Monday and Tuesday. Then I remembered that you always have something thoughtful to say and was very unsurprised to find that you did.