Saul Bass

May 9, 2013

Saul Bass movie posters

By Koseli.

Yesterday, Saul Bass, the famed designer behind the Alfred Hitchcock opening credits, would have been 93. To commemorate his talent, Google rendered their logo in his trademark style in a short film. The result is beautiful.

Are you a designer? Do you have a favorite icon you look to for inspiration?

P.S. — Speaking of Alfred Hitchcock films, I finally saw Rear Window for the first time this week. I could not get over how absolutely perfect Grace Kelly’s style was!

1 Grace@ Sense and Simplicity May 9, 2013 at 7:03 am

We are big Hitchcock fans in our house so we appreciate and love Saul Bass’s work. Rear Window is one of my all time favourite movies – and a big part of that is Grace Kelly’s gorgeous style. I love that black-and-white dress she wears. My other all time favourite movie that I watch for the style is Pillow Talk – I love how Doris Day’s gorgeous outfits coordinate with the rooms she is in. Thanks for highlighting the work of Saul Bass and especially showing us the great Google film.

2 Carter Higgins May 9, 2013 at 11:38 am

I LOVE that you featured this. He’s a favorite. The things he does to tell stories in those stark shapes and blocks of colors is just unreal. He illustrated a picture book, too, which is just lovely. I definitely didn’t get into motion design because of him, but over the years I’ve completely understood why he’s the master of it, and am always looking to him for inspiration.

3 Chase @ The Smell of Summer May 9, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Thanks for sharing such a cool post on such a truly wonderful story teller. :)

Chase Miller
The Smell of Summer – A Boutique Surf Lifestyle Blog

4 erin May 9, 2013 at 4:12 pm

love him. when I got married I was so excited that my last name would have 4 letters (just like my first name) cause it made me feel more like a designer… Saul Bass, Paul Rand, you get the idea ;)

5 Lisa May 9, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I love his work! I love the simple yet bold imagery and fonts. I always lean to a more clean look and his work does it so well. I loved the Google movie as well. It was so well done!

6 Sally from Little Hiccups May 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Best Google Doodle ever!
A friend in Australia commented on facebook about how great it was but being half a day behind in California I had to wait until the next morning before I could see it! It was definitely worth the wait :)