Olive Us: Episode 23: Little Red Riding Hood

May 6, 2013

Images and text by Gabrielle.

Friends, I’m kind of freaking out about how wonderfully Episode 23 of Olive Us turned out. (Sorry for the brag!) It’s called Le Petit Chaperon Rouge which is the French way of saying Little Red Riding Hood. This video is stunning. It’s simply magical. Oh. And it’s all in French! Entirely narrated by Betty, who also plays the girl in the red cape.

Now don’t you worry, even if you don’t speak a lick of French, I’m betting you’ll be able to follow along with the very familiar story line. : ) If you’d like a translation, you’re in luck. Ben Blair made a pdf with a side-by-side French and English translation — you can find the pdf link here.

Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv

I’m dying to hear what you think! And if your kids watch it, I’d love to hear if they enjoyed it — or if the French threw them off too much. From what we’ve seen so far, for little ones, the language doesn’t seem to matter at all! Consider this a great way to expose your kids to a foreign language in a familiar context.

I also want to say that we didn’t make this alone. Not at all. A huge thanks goes out to Miranda of One Little Minute. who put together the stunning costumes. She started with what we had in our closet, added pieces from thrift stores, then sewed the rest. She re-made the iconic red cape from a women’s red wool coat she found at a second hand shop. It’s thick and cozy and wonderful — and it kept Betty warm on the cold November day when we filmed this.

Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv

Another big thanks goes to Merrilee Liddiard of Mer Mag for the title illustration. I love how it turned out! I think it would be cool to have a poster of it made for our wall. Lastly, we are over the moon about Tiger in a Jar’s vision for this episode. We think they captured the story perfectly.

Fun Fact: the forest scenes were filmed around the corner from our house, in the same trees that we filmed Christmas Tree Hunt. For the exteriors of Little Red’s house and Grandma’s house, we actually filmed at the Apple Juice Farm you’ll remember from this video. Fantastic, right? The old half-timber buildings on the property were absolutely perfect for a fairy tale!

If it’s not showing up for you in this post, watch it on vimeo here, and find all the Olive Us videos here.

Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv

A little “easter egg” in the film: Grandma is reading Charles Perrault’s Little Red Riding Hood. : )

Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv Little Red Riding Hood | oliveus.tv

{ 1 trackback }

Just Moms » Blog Archive » Olive Us: Episode 23: Little Red Riding Hood
May 6, 2013 at 1:37 pm

1 Linnea May 6, 2013 at 11:03 am

Really lovely! Another great episode.

Maybe I missed a mention of this in a previous post, but what will you be doing to ensure that the kids retain their knowledge of the language when you return to the States? Betty’s French sounds so good!

2 Design Mom May 6, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Hi Linnea! That is a topic that is on our minds a lot these days. We have a few ideas on how to help them maintain the French that they’ve worked so hard to learn. Once we settle on something, I’ll be sure to report.

3 Susan May 6, 2013 at 11:11 am

Absolutely delightful! I loved it!

4 Kathryn May 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Adorable! Love Betty speaking French, are all your children that proficient now or is Betty the most advanced given the age that you moved to France? My son who has just turned five is learning French in his school in the uk but its very basic, I think that you really benefit from being immersed in it .

5 Design Mom May 6, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Betty does get many compliments on her accent, but really, all the kids do very well in French.

6 Corinne May 6, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Really great! I love how they are all so sweet and lovely, but so different to.
It is increasingly hard to pick a fave!!

7 Corinne May 6, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I mean episodes not your children, hehe.

8 Design Mom May 6, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I feel the same way. The range of things we’ve been able to try makes me grin when I think about it.

9 giulia May 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm

this was simply perfect, gabby! the tones, the composition, betty’s voice, the music, the clothes, the acting, everything! lovely:)

10 Design Mom May 6, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Thank you, Giulia! Everyone worked so hard on this. It’s such a treat for us to watch it now.

11 Amy May 6, 2013 at 12:48 pm

One of my favorite episodes! Very nice.

12 Harmony May 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Wow, that was an amazing video!! I love the whole thing, the acting, the narration, the location, the costuming! I watched it with my 8 year old daughter and she didn’t even say anything about it being in French – she just asked if Little Red Riding Hood was narrating it. We both loved it :)

13 Design Mom May 6, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I love hearing that the French wasn’t an issue for your daughter, Harmony. Yay!

14 Jeanette May 6, 2013 at 1:59 pm

What an enchanting episode! I think it may be my favorite. I love Betty’s melodic voice; her accent is amazing! Every little bit made is so special.

15 Design Mom May 6, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Her voice! When she says Oh! It’s the wolf! I about die.

16 Christy@SweetandSavoring May 6, 2013 at 2:00 pm

So well done! I always enjoy the Olive Us videos- I like how they range from cinematic to more simplistic, but always wonderfully executed.

17 Design Mom May 6, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Thank you, Christy. Making these videos has been such a blessing for our family!

18 Gina May 6, 2013 at 2:35 pm

BRAVO Betty! You sound great! And, I agree – it’s just magical. You all have done an exquisite job. I agree! right down to the beautiful opening credits!

What is it about French told classic tales and children’s voices?…. exquisite!

19 Design Mom May 6, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Thank you, Gina!

And I know what you mean about fairy tales and children’s voices. A great combination!

20 PARIS BEE kids blog May 6, 2013 at 2:47 pm

So much fun! The kids must have loved playing this!

xoxo PARIS BEE kids blog

21 Franca Bollo May 6, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Maude is a mini you!

22 Design Mom May 6, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Hah! We hear that a lot. : )

23 Birgit from LilRedApp May 6, 2013 at 3:24 pm

24 Lena May 6, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I am so jealous of Betty’s accent, she did such a great job! I too wonder, how you’ll keep up with French in States? A French nanny perhaps:)?
Also, j’adore Merrilee. Her illustrations are spectacular.

25 Design Mom May 6, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I’m jealous too! She speaks like a native.

26 thyme (sarah) May 6, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Absolutely charming! An ultimate keepsake for your family as they grow older. Imagine sitting down in 10 years and watching this again.

27 Kami May 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm

We loved this!!! We’ve been reading Little Red Riding Hood lately at bedtime and in our story the wolf eats them up :) Kind of morbid! Anyways little Betty’s french accent is amazing! I speak french and am amazed…she almost sounds native. Good work! I’m so jealous of your adventures…France is near and dear to my heart!

28 Gia May 6, 2013 at 6:19 pm

We loved this too! About half way through my middle one asked, “what are they speaking?” and when I said French the littlest said, “Like we sometimes speak Italian?” The unknown language was actually quite lovely and the version you told was so well done by your kids. Well done Blair family, what a treat!

29 Bérangère Bouffard May 6, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Wow, her French is very good!! Little ones are like sponges. It’s always fascinating to see how quickly they can learn a foreign language and really learn to pick up the accent too! Very well done :) it made me feel nostalgic. I grew up with the more dramatic (and exciting) ending but this one put a smile on my face and I will have to share this with my girls! Great job!! You have every reason to be proud! ;)

30 Cheryl May 6, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Enjoyed this adorable video! Smiled the entire time. Thank you Blair family!

31 Heather Young May 6, 2013 at 8:40 pm

So sweet and so beautiful! I could put Betty’s adorable voice on repeat all day long!

32 Kelly May 6, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I love these videos for their originality and sense of fun! I watched this with my daughter, who is in her second year of a French Immersion program. She loved it and says she understood every word. Having half her school day in French has been an amazing experience for our whole family – even those of us who don’t speak much French! Tell everyone tres bien!

33 Jillian May 6, 2013 at 9:18 pm

What a lovely video. I will be sharing with my high school French students. I already showed them your video about French bakeries when we studied food. I just love reading about your adventures!

34 Ariana Lyriotakis May 6, 2013 at 10:49 pm

This is the first Olive Us video I have watched, and I must say – I was very impressed! Betty’s accent is not only excellent, but she has a totally adorable voice :) Please tell all of the children that they did such a fabulous job! I really do agree that you should frame the title design – such detailed work and a lovely memory for your family.

35 Megan M. May 7, 2013 at 7:34 am

I am dying over how well Betty speaks French! Having a bilingual or multilingual family must be so fantastic… I hope you’re all able to retain the French you’ve learned when you come back to the States. :)

36 Sarah May 7, 2013 at 7:51 am

This is my favorite episode too. It’s magical. I’ve always found this fairy/folk tale enchanting and one of the reasons why is the bright red cape. I love how it stands out almost as if it’s a separate, distinct character.

37 Jane May 7, 2013 at 8:37 am

This looks like it must have been so much fun to film! And Betty’s French is phenomenal! I hope she doesn’t lose that beautiful accent once she’s back to speaking English full time.

38 Sunny Day May 7, 2013 at 1:12 pm

This video is so cute! Please don’t get me wrong, but since you have changed the story, the moral teaching is also gone…

39 hollee thornton May 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm

There aren’t words! So absolutely lovely! French is so beautiful to listen to. I loved it. Bravo Design Kids!!!

40 Maike May 7, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Loved it!
I am just curious about the ending of the story: In Germany the wolf eats the grandmother and Little Red Riding Hood, and the hunter frees them by slicing up the wolf’s belly.
Did you change that yourself or is this the more common version in the US? I am always interested in cultural differences. I just googled it and found out that the original story is French (I thought of course it was German:-) and in that one there is no happy ending. Just for the wolf. Everybody else gets eaten.

41 Rachel May 7, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I just love these videos!!

42 tere May 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Besides being an awesome little film, these will be some beautiful memories you will all cherish! That voice and the costumes!

43 Isabelle May 19, 2013 at 3:52 am

In most of the French versions I know of the hunter cuts the wolf’s belly open to deliver both the grand mother and the little Red Riding hood just on time.(and they celebrate in relief eating the cake and the butter).
I was amazed too at Betty’ wonderful accent and pronunciation. Thumbs up!
Your kids do an excellent job…everytime! And if in the future they ever need French pen pals to keep up with their French maybe my 4 kids could be just that? :-))

44 Jennie May 30, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Betty est incroyable! Je l’aime! I’m a French teacher in UT, would you mind if I show this to my students? I know they would love to see it and hopefully feel inspired by her speaking abilities – I know I am! She sounds like a native! Another great video by the amazing Blair family!

45 Shannon swain June 26, 2013 at 3:33 pm

46 distributor sarung hp July 22, 2014 at 12:56 am

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
You obviously know what you’re talking about, why
waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could
be giving us something informative to read?