From Home Tour To HGTV

May 23, 2013

By Gabrielle.

Every time I hit publish on a Living With Kids home tour, I sigh with gratitude at the hard work and love that the contributors clearly put into them. And then I wish I could send them all two dozen French pastries to match their sweetness.

Well. Joanna Gaines got something even better than lemon tarts and pots de crème. After seeing the Gaines’ home here on Design Mom, a production company contacted Joanna. Fast forward a year and a lot of filming later, and HGTV is airing a pilot called Fixer Upper on May 23, at 7pm CST, starring Joanna and her husband, Chip! Isn’t that exciting?

I always end my tours with ”If you’d like to share your own home with us, just send me a note! It’s a lot of fun…I promise!” See? I’m telling the truth! You just never know how much fun! Hooray, Gaines family!

P.S. – It’s never easy to see yourself on television (Do I really sound like that?!), but I am glad our French house hunting adventure  and brand new French accents were recorded.

1 Angel May 23, 2013 at 6:04 am

that’s awesome! Joanna’s house is my all time Living With Kids.

2 Emilie May 23, 2013 at 6:11 am

Mais comment font elles ces supers mamans de 4 enfants pour avoir des maisons si bien rangées ?? Moi je n’ai encore qu’un enfant de 3 ans et y en a partout !!

3 PARIS BEE kids blog May 23, 2013 at 6:40 am

Just so cool!!!

xoxo PARIS BEE kids blog

4 Megan M. May 23, 2013 at 7:11 am

I think I saw your House Hunters episode right before I started reading Design Mom… weird! I remember the “witch’s house” you looked at.

People say the domestic House Hunters is rigged and the featured couples are already closing on a house and just pretend to look at two more homes and “choose” theirs. HH International doesn’t seem to work that way though because I’ve actually seen people not be able to get a place or decide not to get a place… was anything on your episode “just for TV” ?

5 Design Mom May 23, 2013 at 1:05 pm

That’s so funny, Megan!

As for HHI, I don’t want to ruin the magic for you, but if you’ve read my archives leading up to our move here, you’ll discover the story on the blog and story in HHI don’t quite align. : )

6 Janet May 23, 2013 at 7:40 am

Wow — so exciting — can’t wait to watch! Love your Living With Kids series! Actually, love everything on your blog! :)

7 Design Mom May 23, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Thanks for reading, Janet!

8 Barchbo May 23, 2013 at 8:24 am

Joanna’s home stands out in my memory as a favorite – I will definitely be tuning in to watch! (Okay, DVRing.)

Thanks!

9 Mina Brinkey May 23, 2013 at 8:25 am

How awesome! What an honor to be, both, on your awesome site and then on HGTV! : ) I know what you mean about the “Do I sound like that???” Hate hearing myself on voicemails and stuff!

10 Sharon @ Discovering Blog May 23, 2013 at 9:22 am

Man, I loved her home!
What exciting news! Can’t wait to see the show. Keep us updated, if you can.

11 Design Mom May 23, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I can’t wait to see the show as well! Thought I’m betting you will probably see it first. I don’t get HGTV here in France, so I have to wait for episodes to show up on Youtube. : )

12 Emily May 23, 2013 at 10:05 am

I’m glad! This is one of the most memorable homes from this series to me. I was inspired to add some similar (but simplified) touches to our home, hopefully more in the future as our budget (and kids!) allow. :-)

13 Lena May 23, 2013 at 11:36 am

Amazing. I love your take on HHI. It cracks me up you had THAT woman (as a realtor) who became a character of French episodes. My husband and I always comment when we see her: Ahh, this must be an episode in France:)). We are big fans of HHI and literally saw every single episode.

14 Design Mom May 23, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Hah! Adrienne is the best.

15 Mandi Wilson May 23, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I just watched their show tonight and really enjoyed it. They work great together as a couple, neither being “the boss” but rather complimenting each other.
I will have to go back and look at their home.
I was first introduced to the Blair family on HHI and now I am a huge fan of your blog.

16 Kelly Harp May 23, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Hey Gabrielle! My husband, Clint is the carpenter on Fixer Upper! He made the ventahood, outdoor table, & outdoor hutch. We just watched the first episode with Chip & Joanna tonight @ the watch party! So fun!!! I have to say, I’d probably feel like you if i saw myself on TV, but seeing my husband was so much fun! The Gaines’s are great people & we all hope the show is picked up!!!
Ps: i hear the show will air a few more times, so people can look it up to DVR. Also, i know it’s showing in the UK, so maybe you can find it, too???

17 ma May 24, 2013 at 4:50 am

I saw the show on HGTV and LOVED it!!! My dvr is set to record the whole series. I love it!!