Epic Playdate

May 8, 2013

balloon hat

This post is brought to you by The New Santa Fe from Hyundai.
By Gabrielle.

Last week I told you about the day my sisters spent in the redwoods on a zip-lining adventure. Well, there was also a second-part of the campaign with Hyundai that looks like it was all sorts of amazing fun, and has me taking notes for the next birthday party we host.

tin foil warrior beach balls paper rockets

Hyundai invited bloggers + kids, and local residents too, to an Epic Playdate on the beach in southern California. There was an entire day’s worth of engaging activities like giant beach balls, and making tin-foil armor, and paper rocket ships. Once again, the images of my nephews make me want to eat them up. (Man I miss those cute kids!)

Also, I think Liz and Jordan’s activities might be my favorite.

sand art installation

Liz led the Sand Art Installation, and I think it’s genius! She taped out sections on a tarp, and provided squeeze bottles full of colored sand that the kids used to “draw” with in their assigned section. I think it’s so smart, because it’s one of those activities where one child might finish in about 5 seconds, and another might spend an hour — everyone’s happy! And it looks really cool, too. You can read more about how she organized this activity here.

giant bubbles

Jordan led the giant bubble activity — made from hula hoops dipped in bubble solution. Fun fact: This has been a family favorite of ours since my brother Jared made giant bubbles for a 4th grade science fair. : ) If you haven’t tried this with your kids, I highly recommend putting it on your list of summer-fun activities. It’s the sort of thing that will gather all the kids in the neighborhood in an instant.

tents

The most jaw-dropping part? At the end of the day, the Epic Playdate attendees were invited to camp (in the most amazing tents!) on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Dreamy as can be.

I loved seeing the photos from the event and watching things unfold on the attendee’s instagram feeds. It made me so excited for summer!

Just curious: Have you ever tried any of these activities? Are there any that you’d bookmark for a future event?

{ 1 trackback }

A Subtle Revelry | 25 ideas for merrymaking your summer
December 6, 2014 at 6:50 pm

1 Megan M. May 8, 2013 at 8:15 am

I read Rebecca Woolf’s post about it on Girl’s Gone Child. It sounds like a lot of fun! I’ve never tried giant bubbles but my girls would go crazy for it… I may try it out soon.

2 Design Mom May 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Oh. Giant bubbles. They are a hit every time! And there are recipes for making extra-strong bubble solution — they definitely work best for these over-sized versions.

3 Regina May 8, 2013 at 9:35 am

I’ve seen those giant bubbles at a birthday party! The party hosts invited kids to step inside and be enveloped by the bubble. We didn’t have kids then but I found it really cool.

Our almost two-year-old loves chasing the regular sized bubbles around the park. It’s a great way to meet new kids too — everyone seems to like them!

4 Design Mom May 8, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Can you believe how much fun a bottle of bubbles plus a two year old equals? I swear, diaper bags should come with their own bubble bottle compartment (kidding!).

5 Kate May 8, 2013 at 10:38 am

Looks like fun, but I’m curious as to what exactly Hyundai is selling when they sponsor such an event? How is marketing working here?

6 Design Mom May 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Good question, Kate! In this case, I believe the campaign is about encouraging families to keep adventuring. Some parents feel their adventuring days are over once kids arrive on the scene, so Hyundai provided some true out-of-the-comfort-zone experiences for in-real-life families, which will hopefully spark adventures for more families.

7 Beth May 8, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I have seen this Epic Playdate featured on other sites, and I have to admit, it makes me cringe just a bit. I don’t know that it is OK to include kids in these scripted promotional events. Who wants to have a scripted childhood? Sorry – I don’t mean to be critical, as I love your site and understand the economic need for sponsored posts (and I enjoy most of your sponsored posts), but something about this bugs me.

8 Design Mom May 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Noted, Beth. Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

9 Sally from Little Hiccups May 8, 2013 at 7:01 pm

What a fun weekend!
Those activities all look like so much fun and I can imagine my two girls would enjoy them all. We recently had a party with giant bubbles (made with ropes rather than hoops) and they were just the best. Everyone loved them – the kids and the grown ups all had so much fun making bubbles, popping bubbles, jumping through bubbles… It is definitely our new favourite activity for parties.
You can see our bubble fun here: http://www.littlehiccups.net/2013/03/easter-party.html

10 Design Mom May 9, 2013 at 6:34 am

Thank you so much for the link, Sally! What a fantastic party. Love it!

11 Cheryl Burchett May 8, 2013 at 7:06 pm

My soon to be 5 year old wants a princess party andI have been worried about how to include boys activities in the day. I think tin foil knights sounds so fun, and if no boys show, ill just return the foil to the kitchen!

12 Design Mom May 9, 2013 at 6:34 am

Yes! The tin-foil warriors would be perfect for a birthday party. How fun!