Days

May 3, 2013

Days Visual Diary

By Koseli.

You may have noticed I have a special interest in thoughtful technology — innovation and creation that spurs creativity, keeps us thoughtful, and changes people’s lives. And you know I love a good children’s app!

Over the last two years my interest in the tech world has grown as I’ve watched my husband Keenan quit his traditional design agency job and join an early start-up — one week after we had our first child. To say it’s been wild and adventurous is an understatement, but it’s also been the most freeing, thrilling, creative sprint we’ve ever experienced.

Days, A Visual Diary App

So! I’d love to introduce you to our second baby, born of midnight work sessions, twists and turns; built by Team Wander, some of the smartest, kindest people that are truly like family.

It’s an app called Days, and it’s the first visual diary that lets you capture your life as it really is, in just a few photos a day. There are no filters and no camera roll import. You can keep your days private or share them with friends and family. There’s also the option of creating animated GIFs and bringing special moments to life!

I’ve been a beta tester for several months and I can honestly tell you it’s been a wonderful way for me stay a little more connected to my husband while we’re apart.

Days, A Visual Diary App

So what do you think? Would you give this a spin even if you’re already on Instagram? I promise you they’re very different. You can download Days on your iPhone here and grab a press kit here. You can also get live assistance through Twitter.

And I’d love to know, what’s your number one app on your smart phone? I didn’t think I could ever find something to surpass Hello Kitty Cafe, but friends, Days is it. :)

P.S. — Days is currently a featured app on the App Store. Amazing, right?

1 Lisa May 3, 2013 at 8:40 am

I love this. I would/will definitely give it a try! Congrats!

2 Koseli Cummings May 3, 2013 at 8:47 am

Thanks, Lisa! It’s been a wonderful way to share the ‘firsts’ of our little boy, and capture the humor, monotony, or big adventures we have throughout the day. I don’t feel pressured for my pictures to be perfect and I share what I want to share. It’s my perfect app. Hope you love it!

3 Mary M May 3, 2013 at 9:06 am

This looks perfect, I would love to try it out! Sometimes I feel I bore the world with all of my pictures so I’m selective on what I share, but this looks like a virtual “project life”. Which I am all for!

4 Koseli Cummings May 3, 2013 at 9:11 am

Me too, Mary! I love that you can really just make it totally private and not share daily, or, you could share a special event on occasion to Facebook or Twitter. Or you could share every day, but just with your immediate family. It really can be whatever you make it.

Hope you love it! Thanks for your comment.

5 Karen F May 3, 2013 at 9:18 am

this looks cool! Am I right that it’s kind of like a photo-diary? That’s what it sounds like from your description. I’d give it a try!

6 Koseli Cummings May 3, 2013 at 9:21 am

Yes, it is a photo diary. With GIFs, privacy options, and time constraints so you can only post your day the next morning. Kind of interesting, right? There’s been a couple write-ups since I posted this that do a wonderful job running through all the features. Here they are: http://www.fastcompany.com/3009238/daysam-is-a-diary-app-that-turns-your-ordinary-photos-into-animated-gifs
and

7 Joslynn May 3, 2013 at 10:30 am

May I also add that this app is free? I am posting my first day tomorrow and I am so excited to share! I love the app itself… There is something very satisfying about creating these moments and having them forever at your fingertips. It’s beautiful.

8 Koseli Cummings May 3, 2013 at 10:33 am

Oh thanks for adding that tip. I can’t believe I forgot to share that it is indeed free. :)

I’m so glad you’re loving it. I can’t wait to see the first day you post tomorrow!

9 Mags May 3, 2013 at 10:38 am

Is it available on Android? Sounds like it has great potential – somewhere you can post things quickly and easily to capture moments that you don’t necessarily want to share with the world. I would try it, but I have all android devices :o(

10 Koseli Cummings May 3, 2013 at 10:40 am

Alas, only on the iPhone for now. But it will be available on Andriod soon!

11 Zoua May 3, 2013 at 10:53 am

Looks great so far!! Excited to use this. Do photos only get saved to the Camera Roll once the post is published? I created a GIF (so easy!) and it’s currently in “draft” mode, and I don’t see the pictures in my camera roll.

12 Jeremy Fisher May 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Hey Zoua, did you grant the app access to your camera roll and photos? The app needs that permission in order to save photos down to camera roll. There’s also a switch in settings, so just double-check that it’s turned on.
-Jeremy

13 Barchbo May 3, 2013 at 11:33 am

I already downloaded it – I like it! Thanks for sharing.

14 Barchbo May 3, 2013 at 11:34 am

And may I add: I am on Instagram. This is totally different – for family/close friends. Less “art” shots and more “real” shots.

15 Jeremy Fisher May 3, 2013 at 2:23 pm

You get it exactly!

16 Jessie May 3, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Just downloaded it and snapped my first shot while getting a long overdue pedicure! Seems like a really cool idea!

17 Jeremy Fisher May 3, 2013 at 2:23 pm

awesome!

18 Danielle Croxton May 3, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Awesome, Koseli! Great job to you all! I’m going to download now and try it out.

19 Koseli May 6, 2013 at 10:15 am

Thanks Danielle!

20 Rebecca May 3, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Hi Koseli- can you turn it into a picture book at a later stage (is that what a GIF is?). Because I would love this, and I;m not sure if I can do this with Instagram.
I am techno challenged , so sorry if this is a silly question.
Rebecca

21 Koseli May 4, 2013 at 3:32 pm

not silly at all! when you take pictures within 10 seconds of each other, they will play as an animated GIF, which works like a mini slide show or flipbook animation.

All of the days become collected into a journal like view that you can keep and go back to (which is really fun). I think they are also working on some tools that will allow you to save your days to your computer and maybe even print them.

22 shaka May 4, 2013 at 3:35 am

this sounds silly maybe but what would we do with a press kit? post about it on our blog? :)

23 Koseli May 6, 2013 at 10:15 am

Sure! :)

24 Christine May 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm

This app is seriously darling! I’m still learning, but it’s so much fun! The graphics are great! It will be great fun when I have more people to follow:)

25 Koseli May 6, 2013 at 10:17 am

Thanks Christine! So glad you love it. Now that I have family members on the app with me, it has been so much fun. I love seeing their daily lives. We live thousands of miles apart so I miss knowing what little things are happening with them. Finally a social media app that helps me feel closer to people in a real way!

26 dervla @ The Curator May 6, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Downloading it now, Koseli!!

27 Koseli Cummings May 7, 2013 at 10:18 am

Thanks Dervla. You are always so sweet and supportive!

28 Kelly May 7, 2013 at 3:27 pm

This sounds great, my only concern is that it seems from reading the terms of use that the company is allowed to use your photos. Did I understand that correctly?