A Few Things

May 10, 2013

Aurland, Norway

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How’s it going? We are still in jaw-dropping Norway. It is seriously stunning. We arrived in Bergen late last night, but it was so light, and we were so hungry, we took the whole family to dinner at around 10:00 PM. Hah! We are off our normal schedule for sure.

Hey. It’s Mother’s Day this Sunday. I hope you’re feeling okay about that. I know that for a lot of people, Mother’s Day is the most emotionally fraught holiday of the year. Maybe they feel they’re not a good mother. Or maybe they have a strained or chaotic relationship with their own mother. Or maybe their mother died and they’re heartbroken. Or maybe they long to be a mother themselves. It can be a rough day!

We go really light on Mother’s Day celebrations at our house — especially this particular weekend because we’re traveling — but if you’re in the mood for something festive, I can highly recommend this charming banner, these Big & Small projects, or this Momtract that made me laugh.

While we make site-seeing plans for the day, here are a few things I thought you might enjoy:

Someone to thank the next time Downton Abbey airs before you have a chance to watch it!

Cyber-parenting. (Do you friend your kids and your kids’ friends? Are you obsessive about monitoring their online behavior? So much to discuss here!)

Mesmerizing. And I want a yoghurt. (Tell me if you got a little misty, too! Or am I just travel-weepy?)

- Such a beautiful storyVia Dooce.

A lip-sync contest to make you smile and chair-dance at your computers!

- It’s true, isn’t it? Compliments from other women are the best.

- I know the April 15th deadline came and went, but our taxes were filed last weekend. Hooray! To celebrate, I invite everyone to watch this.

- Let’s get ready for picnic season!

What Ali Wore. The many dapper outfits of an older Brooklyn gentleman.

- An artist collects DNA from found objects (like chewed gum!) to create 3D Portraits.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, and that you feel peace and joy on Mother’s Day whatever your circumstances. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — We’ve had 2 birthdays this week (Flora June and Betty) and have been celebrating on the go. We packed up balloons, birthday candles and some colorful papergoods so we could throw together an instant party — just add cake!

{ 6 trackbacks }

A Few Things
May 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm
A Few Things
May 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm
Just Moms » Blog Archive » A Few Things
May 10, 2013 at 7:01 pm
Mutterstag | Moxiblog
May 13, 2013 at 1:50 am
Tablet Reading – links for May 15 | Table Reading
May 15, 2013 at 6:52 am
Mixed Greens with Fresh Strawberry-Herb Dressing | Cafe JohnsoniaCafe Johnsonia
February 3, 2014 at 9:06 pm

1 Chase @ The Smell of Summer May 10, 2013 at 10:33 am

Wow, stunning photo. Truly jaw-dropping, Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, as well :)

2 Bridgette May 10, 2013 at 10:39 am

Love your Few Things posts! And that Ali, wish he walked past my place of business every day :)
Happy travels.

3 Tracey May 10, 2013 at 10:40 am

I love What Ali Wore! Just spend a few minutes browsing through all those fabulous photos. Brought a smile to my face!

4 Kimberly May 10, 2013 at 11:20 am

My two dogs wanted to know what I wanted for Mother’s Day. I told their translator — who happens to be my husband — that I’d like a necklace from Figs and Ginger and I received the package in the mail yesterday! It’s gorgeous.

As always, thank you for remembering the childless this weekend. Have a fantastic one!

5 PARIS BEE kids blog May 10, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Enjoy Bergen! My husband did part of a documentary there and I was stunned of the images from Norway. I can’t wait to visit with him next!!

xoxo PARIS BEE kids blog

6 Christy@SweetandSavoring May 10, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Another great Friday list. I love how you’re able to incorporate celebrating the kids’ birthdays into your vacation!

7 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay May 10, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I am with my daughter all weekend at a Synchronized Swimming Meet! Go Twin Cities Synchro! Mother’s Day with my girl will be very nice.

My husband just e-mailed me a picture my 6-year-old some drew me.

My big Mother’s Day gift? My car got detailed! It is as clean as can be. Great for the road trip today. I feel like I can do anything in a clean car.

Life is good.

You are right Gabrielle. Mother’s Day can be hard. It was a reminder for many years that I was in the midst of fertility issues. Then we lost our baby. Then we waited for our adoptions. It took us 10 years to finally become parents of two little humans. It stung. Now I just like a quiet day. Just being family.

Happy Mother’s Day.

8 Sara May 10, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Thank you for your kind thoughts about the grieving and the longing. Norway has a special place in my heart! Have been loving the pictures.

9 Melissa de la Fuente May 11, 2013 at 9:17 am

Such a beautiful story ( the airport). I love stories like that SO much, that is what life is all about. Beautiful….
xo
Melissa

10 Ltg May 11, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I am a fan of what Ali Wore! He lives in Berlin though, not Brooklyn.

11 Nora May 11, 2013 at 3:36 pm

So glad you did the Nutshell. Wow, right? We arrived in Bergen very late, but on a still bright, evening. We ate a light meal at one of the sprawling cafes down at the old harbor – Bryggen. Magical. Next day, visited the crooked buildings nearby and the castle museum at the end of the harbor. Next we took the tram up to the top of the city for a stunning view. I declared it my second home town, if we could do such a thing. We then took a ferry back into the fjord and stayed at an old inn right on the water. Sea kayaking and steep hill climbs. Want to go back.

12 Affiliateoftheday.com/ June 12, 2014 at 12:47 pm