A Few Things

May 3, 2013

Mustard Field in Normandy

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends. I hope you’ve had a wonderful week. Are any of you at Mom 2.0 this weekend? I’m cheering on the conference from my laptop. I was supposed to speak on a panel, but had to cancel when I had flight problems. Total bummer because it’s truly one of the very best conferences out there. But you know I can’t feel sorry for myself when we have such an exciting trip coming up. That’s right, the Fjordieth is happening on Monday!

While we get packed up, and work on a Norway itinerary (suggestions eagerly welcomed!), here are a few things that might be of interest:

Spine Poems — are they the new magnetic poetry?

- My son Ralph has been making awesome 30-second videos. This one is my current favorite. You can see the rest on his YouTube channel.

Vermeer-esque photos of kids. Thanks, Chara.

- Each charm raises funds for a different non-profit group — you can literally wear what you believe in.

- Remember Richard Prince? He’s in the news again.

- On my Cafémom column: 6 Ways to Cut the Clutter and Hollywood Glam Nursery.

- An interactive novel for kids aged 9 and up. It’s made for the iPad. The trailer looks interesting to me, like a predictor of what’s to come.

- When is a blogger not a blogger?

- Totally funny. (And totally feel good.) Thanks, Heidi.

- Cinco de Mayo is on Sunday! Here are 18 ideas to help you celebrate.

- Today I seem to be pinning lots of flowers. What are you pinning these days?

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — That field at top? It’s next door to our house. Amazing!

{ 3 trackbacks }

Just Moms » Blog Archive » A Few Things
May 3, 2013 at 5:23 pm
A Few Things
May 3, 2013 at 5:24 pm
Weekend Reading - Designing Around
May 5, 2013 at 1:11 pm

1 Kathryn May 3, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Thank you for these. The story app looks really interesting, I feel like there are so many of these sorts of apps aimed at littles, but not as many at older children. And it was nice to see such an articulate description of blogging and its extensions.

2 nagehan May 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I loved the ‘when is a blogger not a blogger’ link. Very helpful.

3 Mali May 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Hi, I think I remember that you’re heading west on this trip. Next time you should head north too, for the midnight sun – coming up in just a week. It’s already light all night and day:) If you’re driving on the west coast you should take the Trollstigen road, with the massive falls. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trollstigen – not for the height frightened though (or just close your eyes, except the driver, lol). Hurtigruten – the coastal line is fab (however v v expensive), but only a couple of days will sort you out with lots of fjords and sceneries – no need for a longer trip with it, they do short packages. Bergen is a cozy town (make sure to visit the old houses quarter, Nordnes), and a great starting place. The distances in Norway can be a bit..overwhelming..it’s a long country! PS. Rema1000 is the place to get your groceries:) Have a great trip!

4 Megan M. May 3, 2013 at 8:33 pm

A field right next to your (beautiful) house? And you’re going to LEAVE? ;)

I can’t wait to see how the Fjordieth goes down!

5 Laura May 4, 2013 at 1:04 am

Spring is late in arriving to Norway this week. It’s cool and rainy in Oslo so be sure to pack an extra warm layer. If you are spending time in Oslo don’t miss Vigelands Park and Vikingskiphuset (The Viking Ship Museum). I would recommend sampling brown cheese as Norwegians love it – but it’s also very Norwegian to eat a hotdog and ice cream. If you have any questions about Oslo or Norway please feel free to email me. As we say in Norway, “ha en god tur!”

6 PARIS BEE kids blog May 4, 2013 at 1:35 am

Enjoy Mom 2.0!!

xoxo PARIS BEE kids blog

7 stephanie kraus May 4, 2013 at 6:47 am

Really enjoyed the Britian’s got talent bit! So refreshing. Another amazing post!

8 Nora May 4, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Hi,
Take the train from Oslo to Bergen. Bergen is amazing. Stay/visit the Bryggen area near the harbor.
While on the way, do a tour of the fjords. It’s a side trip to the Aurlandsfjord. From the main rail route, you take a train from Myrdal to Flam (very steep). A ferry takes you along the fjord to Naroyfjord to the town of Gudvangen, then bus (very steep road) back to the main rail line at Voss. The main rail train stations are pretty much above the tree line and the scenery is breathtaking the whole trip. This is a day trip that can be booked ahead of time. There are several tour groups who can book your tickets, just google (Norway in a Nutshell comes to mind….). Visit the roof top of the opera house in Oslo.
Have a great time.

9 Sue May 6, 2013 at 9:23 am

You can’t visit Norway without trying their incredible chocolate. You can buy it everywhere – simple melkesjokolade or Firklover are 2 of my favourite bars, but you could also take the Freia factory tour in Oslo with unlimited samples! Better than Swiss or Belgian chocolate, in my humble opinion. Also, do not leave Norwegian soil without having a boller, a Norwegian raisin bun. You can get them everywhere. Even Seven Elevens make them fresh every day. Simple and perfect. Sliced with butter and Jarlsberg cheese… mmmmm.