A Day in the Redwoods

May 2, 2013

Climbing in the Redwoods

This post is brought to you by The New Santa Fe from Hyundai.
By Gabrielle.

Have we talked about my blogging family lately? My sister is Jordan of Oh Happy Day. And my sister-in-law (married to my brother Jared) is Liz of Say Yes to Hoboken. Both of those ladies are crazy talented and it’s such a gift to be able to call them and talk shop about blogging. Our phone conversations include compelling topics like: What do you think of this idea for a new column? and Is the internet slow for you today? : )

Anyway, last month Jordan and Liz took their families to the famed Redwoods of Northern California, and spent a day zip-lining in the treetops. It was part of Hyundai’s Epic Playdate campaign and the idea was to have a true adventure with their families — a day spent trying something out of their comfort zone. There’s a gorgeous video of their experience and it made me gasp! Take a look:

Oh my goodness! Can you believe how high they are? That shot looking down made my stomach drop. Also. I’m dying over that footage of Jordan looking perfectly poised as she zip-lines (when she was actually feeling terrified). Oscar-worthy performance, yes? Hah! Mostly, I adore seeing my nephews. They are so cute I just want to eat them up.

Climbing in the Redwoods

It’s been awhile since we tried something daring, so seeing the video really got us craving our own family adventure. Whale watching, or an extended back-packing trip, or maybe we’ll even try some ice-climbing when we visit the fjords!

Climbing in the Redwoods

How about you? Does your family gravitate toward adventure? Or does something like zip-lining through the trees seem nuts to you? Are there any epic adventures on your calendar this year?

1 Lisa May 2, 2013 at 7:45 am

What a fun day! I’ve always wanted to visit the redwood forest. I’m not a true ‘adventurer’ but i’d be up for this!

2 Design Mom May 3, 2013 at 1:09 am

Those trees! People describe being among them as a spiritual experience, and I can totally see how it would be.

3 Joy | Frock Files May 2, 2013 at 8:03 am

I love this! The Redwoods are absolutely gorgeous and the producers did a beautiful job of making it feel like we’re right there with them.

4 Design Mom May 3, 2013 at 1:10 am

I agree. The video is really well done!

5 Lisette Wolter-McKinley May 2, 2013 at 9:18 am

We live for adventure. It needn’t be dangerous, just something new and fun.

6 Design Mom May 3, 2013 at 1:10 am

“We live for adventure.”

I love that you state that outright first thing. Bold!

7 marian May 2, 2013 at 9:35 am

Dad is a rock climber and a date with Dad means a trip to the climbing gym and ice cream. In the summer it’s canoeing and backpacking with Grandpa, Dad, Uncles, Aunts and cousins. As the kids get older planning adventures gets more and more fun.

8 Design Mom May 3, 2013 at 1:12 am

Very cool, Marina. Our visits to rock climbing gyms never disappoint. They kids get challenged in new ways, gain confidence, and get in good exercise, too!

9 Zoe - SlowMama May 2, 2013 at 9:45 am

Seeing the Redwoods is definitely on my life list, but I’m afraid of heights so it would take a lot of get me to zip-line! As a mom to two adorable girls now, I’m committed to being more adventurous so I’m starting to make a list of fun things to do as a family.

Hyundai did a great job on that video!

10 Design Mom May 3, 2013 at 1:13 am

I love when parenting brings out our best instincts. Here’s to more adventure!

11 Sally from Little Hiccups May 2, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I love that two of my (other!) favourite bloggers happen to live in the same city as me. I get so much San Francisco inspiration from Jordan and Liz’s blogs, instagram feeds, twitter etc. When I saw this yesterday on Oh Happy Day I just knew that a trip to the redwoods would have to go on my list of things to do while we’re living here. Zip-lining through the tree tops just might have to wait until I’m not pregnant though!

12 Design Mom May 3, 2013 at 1:14 am

San Francisco is such a hub of coolness. And congrats on your pregnancy, Sally!

13 Kristen E May 3, 2013 at 10:47 am

I love adventure. :) Sadly, I have some health problems that have gotten much worse recently and that make it difficult to do the things I love! I used to go on extended backpacking trips, but these days I can’t do that. I have a dream of hiking the Vermont Long Trail (about 4-5 weeks of hiking), but I don’t know that it will ever happen. :(

14 Ann May 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I want bear masks like that! I would love to make this trip with our family.

15 Becky Sue May 4, 2013 at 5:52 am

We are heading out west this summer and zipping through the Redwoods is added to the list! Woohoo!

16 Fashion for the Rest of Us May 4, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I love the outdoors, especially in summer, but I do not consider myself adventurous — I have never gone camping and I definitely prefer a day at the Spa than a day hiking. Nonetheless, my husband is quite adventurous and since my son has come into the picture I have bent my boundaries more. One of my favorite excursions has been to a similar forest park in the Beaujolais region: